Ground blinds for mule deer

GOutes

Hey guys,
Are there any particular ground blinds you guys like for Archery? Ever used them for Mule deer hunting? I'm going to be hunting water holes in Arizona this fall and wanted to try hunting out of a blind vs tree climber.

Thoughts???

We use them sometimes on a place we hunt in Colorado for Mule Deer. I don't remember the one we have, but have used several. You need to make sure the window height, chair and your height work together.

Be sure to get a decent "blind" chair that allows you some movement without making a bunch of noise and having things, like armrests, in the way. Keep as many windows closed as you can while still providing you the shooting lanes you want. We've had doe deer come within 7 yards. But getting my son in position to take a shot without it sounding like two cats fighting is a different story. I know I'll be sitting in a ground blind in a creek bottom for Muleys here in a few months. We have tree stands set up as well, there is just something I like about being eye level with them.

Also, to me at least, the bigger the blind the better. Especially in the height category.

TM

I have had good luck with the Baronett Big Mike ground blind. He is right by saying make sure your blind and chair and window setup is aligned right. I am 6' 2" and can stand up and draw my bow. I prefer to shoot while still sitting in the chair to minimize movement.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-16 AT 09:49AM (MST)[p]>We use them sometimes on a
>place we hunt in Colorado
>for Mule Deer. I don't
>remember the one we have,
>but have used several. You
>need to make sure the
>window height, chair and your
>height work together.
>
>Be sure to get a decent
>"blind" chair that allows you
>some movement without making a
>bunch of noise and having
>things, like armrests, in the
>way. Keep as many windows
>closed as you can while
>still providing you the shooting
>lanes you want. We've had
>doe deer come within 7
>yards. But getting my son
>in position to take a
>shot without it sounding like
>two cats fighting is a
>different story. I know I'll
>be sitting in a ground
>blind in a creek bottom
>for Muleys here in a
>few months. We have tree
>stands set up as well,
>there is just something I
>like about being eye level
>with them.
>
>Also, to me at least, the
>bigger the blind the better.
>Especially in the height category.
>
>
>TM

Excellent advise on the window, chair and height issues.
Some additional things you should consider:
1) Prep your setup a week or so ahead of time. Mule deer aren't as spooked by sudden changes as are whitetails, but they are more spooked than turkeys or pronghorn. They still may come in, but they will keep staring and stomping at a sudden setup and will catch any movement.
2) Enhance the setup with some natural surrounding vegetation to break up the shape of the blind. I usually just use some dead vegetation. (For setups in the pines, I actually use some artificial Christmas tree branches.) Lean, Velcro or tie it to or around the blind, making sure you don't block shooting windows or lanes.
3) I like to put camo over the black walls on the inside. That way, the window openings aren't so noticeable and I can move slowly without being noticed.
4) Even in the blind, MOVE SLOWLY!

In the past I've used ladder tree stands a lot (thus my handle, Elkfromabove), but I'm now getting too old and fragile to do that as much, so I'm going more to ground blinds 'cause they're safer and easier to set up.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-16 AT 06:07AM (MST)[p]ive used a big mikes and an ameristep. make sure they have a flap on the bottom and utilize it to conceal your scent. very very effective.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-16
>AT 06:07?AM (MST)

>
>ive used a big mikes and
>an ameristep. make sure they
>have a flap on the
>bottom and utilize it to
>conceal your scent. very very
>effective.

What does the bottom flap do? Does it unzip from the rest of the blind?

>>LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-16
>>AT 06:07?AM (MST)

>>
>>ive used a big mikes and
>>an ameristep. make sure they
>>have a flap on the
>>bottom and utilize it to
>>conceal your scent. very very
>>effective.
>
>
>What does the bottom flap do?
>Does it unzip from the
>rest of the blind?

you dig a gutter around the bottom of the blind and put the flap in it and then cover it up with dirt. it conceals almost all your scent in case the wind is blowing

Everybody has given you great advice... I love hunting out of our Doublebull blind the animals can get so close at times you think they can hear you breath... It's almost time to sit long mornings and long evenings in the blind you will have a blast... Here's some pictures of a couple of our set ups...
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/74993image.jpeg
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/36913image.jpeg
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/65179image.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom