Grouping question

Silentstalker

Long Time Member
Hey guy's,

I am kind of new to reloading and have a very simple question. I am working up some loads for my 3 rifles. Calibers are 22-250, 7mm Rem Mag, and 7mm WSM.

The main question I have is this: If I set up and shoot groups at 25 yards will I be able to predict the grouping at 100 yards? I can shoot indoors at 25 yards or outside in this miserable weather at any distance. Can I shoot my loads at 25 yards indoors and pick the tightest group and know that it will continue to be the tightest at 100 yards?

I think that the groups may continue to open up at further distances but hoped that the tightest at 25 would also be the tightest at 100+.

What do you guy's think?

I personally wouldn't waste the ammo at 25. I suppose in theory if you shot them all through the same hole as opposed to a bad group at 25 where they are just cutting the other holes one may be better. Shoot at at least 100.

bogey is wise!
In my experience shooting at 25 yards is good for getting a scope lined up after mounting. testing for accuracy is best done at 100 yds. and when you find something promising at 100, try that load at 200 or farther.

Howdy,

You are getting good advice from these two, trust them and listen. It has been my experience that SOME loads at 25 yards group just as "open" as they do at 100. I think it has something to do with the bullet not "going to sleep" quickly. Imagine throwing a football with some wobble in the spiral. If you throw it fast enough, it will be just as accurate at 50 yards as it is at 10. If its not fast enough, it just dies a quicker death. It has been proven that bullets wobble just out of the barrel; however, they soon settle down and shoot straight. Different rifles and different bullets react differently, so there isn't much way of predicting (as you asked) just how accurate they will be between 25 and 100. You can SOMETIMES get an idea between 100 and 200 yards though!

What ever you do or decide, Best to you and Good Shooting!

Coach

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom