Grouse Creek UT

nvhunter

Anyone been here? Google maps say there is a gas & grocery there, is this true? Looking at entering nv from here wondering if they will have diesel.

yes, gas/diesel and a little grocery store. different hours for the store to be open, but its 24/7 for fuel. not a huge variety but you can get the staples. super nice people. cool little town

"Shoot Straight"

Been over Hwy 30 there in Utah and into Nevada many times over the years and a few times low on fuel. Thanks for the info so incase ever need to fill up or get some fuel to make it to Elko or into Idaho. A cold one would be good too.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I'm going to hijack your thread, but it looks like you received the info you wanted. Anyone hunt the grouse Creeks lately? My dad hunted there about 25 years ago and said there were does all over the place. Just couldn't find bucks. A local told him they are hunted to hard as the seasons were from August- Nov. or Dec. Then a friend of mine went about 10 years ago and said it's horrible. They didn't see any deer. They talked to a rancher and he said the lions have just about killed them all. He did say some young hunters had killed some big ones on private. It's sad that some of the areas that used to hold great deer numbers are just about void of deer now. Not sure that's the case in the grouse creeks or not, but would like to hear if there's any thing left there.

hhunter23 how long since you've been there? Just want to make sure they still operate. Thanks for the info that helps alot!

I hunted the late muzzleloader season there a couple of times in the 90's. There was a general store/gas station in business back then. I believe it was called the Grouse Creek Co-op. I do not recall if they had diesel.
I missed the biggest buck I have ever shot at on one of those hunts and saw several good bucks.
Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

>I'm going to hijack your thread,
>but it looks like you
>received the info you wanted.
>Anyone hunt the grouse Creeks
>lately? My dad hunted there
>about 25 years ago and
>said there were does all
>over the place. Just couldn't
>find bucks. A local told
>him they are hunted to
>hard as the seasons were
>from August- Nov. or Dec.
>Then a friend of mine
>went about 10 years ago
>and said it's horrible. They
>didn't see any deer. They
>talked to a rancher and
>he said the lions have
>just about killed them all.
>He did say some young
>hunters had killed some big
>ones on private. It's sad
>that some of the areas
>that used to hold great
>deer numbers are just about
>void of deer now. Not
>sure that's the case in
>the grouse creeks or not,
>but would like to hear
>if there's any thing left
>there.

I used to hunt further east than grouse creek and spent a lot of time in that general area. It is pretty typical to see a slew of does and fawns but not many bucks. There is a significant lion population too. Having said that, I have seen some smokers come out of the region. I think seeing the bucks there is very dependent on the rut migration patterns. My experience tells me the does, fawns, and small bucks tend to be year long residents whereas the mature bucks move to idaho for the summer.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I hunted there 83 or 84 ,hit one the biggest buck of my life and it was hit pretty well as I was tracking it ran downhill towards the road I heard a shot and a tailgate open and slam shut.I got back to camp and told my friends what happened and they said as they were driving back to camp a truck had hit them driven by a couple of young hunters driving to fast it was just a minor bump and they kept going, I wonder if they had a buck in that truck?

i was there the weekend of september 17th 2016. i usually make a trip out there every year. i have some friends that own a lot of property out there we like to coyote hunt.

"Shoot Straight"

My friends and my son and I hunted there about four years ago on a CMWU and we saw only three bucks all week. My son did shoot a 186 buck there that was not very wide but man did he have the mass
We hunted high and low and I have to tell you I have not seen that many lion tracks anywhere I have hunted. The whole midsection of the mountain was void of deer period and after a snow storm we saw four sets of fresh lion tracks but no deer only high and very low in the fields did we see deer
Not what it used to be when I was a kid it was a real deer factory back then
I really believe that if they want that herd to come back they need to shoot about a 100 lions off of that range

So funny story about the Grouse Creek Store...

About 10 years ago I worked for the USDA/APHIS helping to control the population of Mormon Crickets around the state of Utah. For several years they were just thick in this area. We would estimate the population base on how many cricket we could count in a square yard.

Anyway, the crickets started to move toward town. We were only allowed to treat BLM property. So once the crickets were on private property it was the problem of the owner of that property.

The crickets like to hide in the shade or any cool spot during the heat of the day. They will climb under the edge of eaves or trees or bushes...anyplace to get out of the sun.

The massive group of crickets in the area moved to town and while we did what we could there were so many (millions) that they reached town and it didn't even look like we had touched them. The crickets seemed to gather around the store and saught shelter from the sun inside the store. The horrified store owner decided to use one of the bug bomb misters on the crickets...the only problem was that it made the crickets explode! There was as much dead cricket mush in the store as inventory. They had to gut the store entirely! I wish I still had the photos, it was a MESS!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom