Guide Info

U

Username

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-08 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]I have a buddy coming in from out of state to hunt elk near Chama and he is looking into hiring an outfit called Circle J, I think he said they were out of TA , anyone heard of or had any experience with this outfitter.

Also my hunting buddy drew unit 47 I Think it is (Whites Peak) for archery elk, we were up there last year for deer and saw a few elk not too many. Anyone know much about this unit, we pretty much hung around the GMU around the town of Black Lake. This is his first archery hunt and I've been only been a couple times myself, any info would be appreciated. No honey holes just a general idea where to start, heck we may have even been in the right spot and just didnt know it. Thanks guys for any help.

Whites Peak is in Unit 48. I muzzleloader hunted it once and would like to go back someday with my bow. There are lots of elk there. I have never seen a really big bull there, but I know of at least one big one from that unit (claimed to be over 400). The roads are very rough, if you have a 4 wheeler it will save a lot of wear and tear on your truck. Around Whites Peak and to the east, I would hunt around water and around the edges of the burned area. On the west end of the unit, I would hunt near the fence on the north boundry (close to the private land - but be sure to stay on the public land, the private land is patrolled). That's where I found elk the year I was there. Good luck!

Circle J is owned by a friend of mine. He is from there in TA and knows the country very well and I'm sure his ranch leases are all great elk ranches.He has a great jam up pack of hounds too , runs some real good bear and cats hunts. I would say your friend is in good hands with Joe Ray and I believe he will be tagging an elk come fall, no worries....Larry

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom