Guided elk hunt help for father and son

slowpoke

Hi looking for suggestions for a guided or trespass rut archery hunt for myself and my son to go on in 2024. After I get points this year, I will have 13 points in WY he has 1, Colorado I have 7 and 4 for Arizona. My preference would be for private land with hopefully a lot of action. The state really does not matter. So far Table Mountain and Rough Country Outfitters in Wyoming have popped up in my research. I have also hunted at Rocky Mountain Ranches successfully in the past so that is an option too. Thank you for the help

Sorry, guess that would help. Would like to keep it to 18K or under for both of us. Not looking for high fenced and a good quality hunt over fancy meals or lodging. Would like to take him on a hunt when he is my age he can remember if that makes sense. Thank you

If you go Wyoming they will average your points and you will be drawing with seven. That's enough for a General area which should require around four points. Lots of General Area outfitters but I don't have a recommendation for one. But a Wyoming elk hunt with 13 points is a OIL hunt that you will probably never see again. I would hate to use those on a General hunt.

Colorado uses the lowest point total of the party so you will be drawing with zero points. There are OTC archery tags in Colorado and there are private land only tags that you can draw with zero points. You will have to burn your 7 points but 7 points in Colorado aren't worth much.

High Country Connections in Southwest Colorado would be one to look at. It would be for a 5X5 but a lot of private land and lots of elk. I hunted here but it was 25 years ago so I don't have any current information.

You might find a hunt with landowner tag in New Mexico for $9,000 but most of them are going to be $12,000 to $18,000. But it would be worth a look.

And whatever you do you should try to book this year for 2024.

If you go Wyoming they will average your points and you will be drawing with seven. That's enough for a General area which should require around four points. Lots of General Area outfitters but I don't have a recommendation for one. But a Wyoming elk hunt with 13 points is a OIL hunt that you will probably never see again. I would hate to use those on a General hunt.
FYI - 4 points was only 8% chance to draw this year. That will likely jump to over 5 next year with the special price increase. Maybe higher.

I do agree that the 13 point hunt is basically an OIL tag. To get to that level again may take 30 points. Those should be spent wisely but to each their own.

There are outfitters in Oregon running very large private land blocks that produce better bulls than most limited draw hunts. archery tags are over the counter and during the rut.

Do you have any recommendations for Colorado or Oregon guides? I am going back and forth on Wyoming. It might be using more points than needed, but if it was for a quality hunt with my son it might be a once in a lifetime hunt if that makes sense. Thanks for the help

I would talk to John Cole,, Sheep Mt Outfitters and High Lonesome Outfitters in Oregon. there are plenty of others but these are some of the best known private land operators.

You could go with public land outfitters too, but high numbers of bow tags makes public land hunting just what you'd expect. there's a lot of private ground in eastern OR and if you want a quality bow hunt that's where you need to be.

I'm not a bow hunter but after thinking about it bow tags went on a draw basis just recently. but most units have a 100% draw rate so it wouldn't be an issue. too late for this year , but I doubt they have any openings anyway.

Sheep Mountain Outfitters must be a good outfitter. Web site says they are booked for elk hunts through 2027.

I knew they booked up early but I didn't expect years out. most of the outfitters in OR have a very high repeat customer base so it does make it harder to get in. not many places you can hunt this quality with no draw tags at these prices. it's all about huge amounts of private land.

John Cole would be my first call.

Togwotee, I think you have it right. Private land, high quality, reasonable draw, fair prices are often booked years out.

I have talked to a mule deer outfitter in Wyoming that with repeat hunter and family of repeat hunters didn’t think they would ever have an opening. I talked to a Wyoming elk outfitter that was five years out and wasn’t even taking names.

I went to the Great Outdoor show last winter and it was amazing how many outfitters for mule deer in Eastern Wyoming were booking two to three years out.

I'm sure that's right. the only thing I see when these guys are around is most of them are older, like really older sometimes. openings can come about for a lot of reasons in this case.

I'd just start calling around. since the OP wants a bow hunt that's going to be a lot easier to find, but maybe still not really easy.

I've got a couple possibilities that "might" be able to work us in for 2025. It just feels extra important for it to go well since it will be my youngest sons first big trip. Thank you everyone for the input!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom