Gun barrel temperature

oklahunter

I was wondering if anyone could give me a feeling of accuracy when a gun barrel gets real hot and/or what outside temperature is too hot to try and shoot. i was out shooting sunday and the temperature outside was 108 degrees. my barrel got very hot. i waited about 15-20 minutes between shots but could not get any groups established. any help would be appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-11 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]The problem may not have been how hot your barrel was but how hot your bullets were before your shot them. Pressures can increase dramatically if you leave bullets on a hot dash board, or in your case, just sitting in the hot sun, at the temps you were dealing with.

I would say that if it's the barrel, you would get at least a decent 3 or 5 shot group before you had some fliers. If you're not getting even a 2 shot group bucklover may have hit it on the head. I shoot competitions in the heat of the day and haven't had a problem. The only problem I have with a hot barrel is the mirrage it gives off in front of my scope. Keep those bullets cool.

It's always an adventure!!!

Just an after thought. Try carrying your bullets out in a small cooler, with your cold drinks. Shoot them cold and see if that helps.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom