Gun Build

smitty

Very Active Member
Alright, I've decided to build a hunting rifle and would like to get some insight.

I like the .300 win mag caliber and have decided to stick with it.

The components I am looking at are:

Stainless action from a buddy in town that builds them.

Stainless Hart #4 barrel 1 in 10 twist.

McMillan thumbhole stock.

Jewel trigger.

Huskemaw 5-20

I'm toying with doing a Proof Research barrel.

Thoughts?

My real question would be, what bullet to shoot out of this gun?

Berger 210gr?

Got another guy in town that does an excellent job of fitting everything together.

Anything I'm missing or overlooking?

I love the 300 win mag but I agree, if you're going to build a 10 lb rifle I'd move up to the 300 RUM.

I would switch to a Nightforce scope.

One thought, keep in mind most smiths don't guarantee accuracy. one time I ended up buying the smith a new second barrel and he installed it free, then I bought another smith a new barrel and he charged me to install it. 3 barrels and 2 gunsmiths later I had more invested than I do into my McWhorter and it still doesn't shoot as good as the McWhorter. don't rule out the semi customs they come with an accuracy guarantee and if you ever want to sell them the resale is far better than a custom.

That's probably a worst case scenario but if your luck is like mine take it for what it's worth.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Are you going to put a break on it? If the answer is yes then I may go with a RUM, but depending on the length of the action you may not be able to seat the bullets far enough out to take full advantage of the large case. If the answer is no then I'd go with the win mag chambered with more free bore to gain a little more powder in the case. The only other advice I would have is to go with a quality CUT rifled barrel. Not saying Hart isn't a good barrel; Ive just had better luck overall with a cut barrel. I have no experience with carbon but have considered it myself.

These are typical mm responces. You ask where to get the best steak and we tell you that you really want lobster!

With that in mind, I'll do the same.

I've has a couple 300 Win's for 3.5 decades and love them but they cannot compare to my 300 Ultra for LR hunting but targets and plates are different that hunting.

I guess im asking if this will be a dedicated target rig, a hunting rig or a combination of the two.

Sounds like you have your thumb on what you want to build and have most of the components to do so. If it were me, I'd use Bergers for targets and accubonds or Hornady VLD-X's for hunting depending on the size critter. Bonded (Accubond) for bigger animals.

I'd build a 300 RUM, Bartlien barrel, use a well trued Rem or a better clone and go from here. I'd top it with Nightforce and let the fun begin.

With that said, do as YOU wish. You're not building it for me. Haha

Zeke

Hmmm Zeke I would like to try those VLD-x bullets if they are anything like the ELD-x bullets......(only harassing you a little). Bad minds must think alike because I just built the exact rifle you mentioned Except in a 28nos.

Might just opt for a Champion like Kelbly to build the Rifle: http://www.kelbly.com/

Below is not Kelbly, it is Bat Machine:
Everything begins with the Action. See below and there's many similar. Left Port Load/Eject is great.
61691batmodelmaction.jpg

Our model M is .935 inch longer then the model B to allow for larger cartridge length and more bedding surface. This action is 8.500? long and has several exterior shape options. Starting weight is 48 oz and varies with options chosen. Load port length is 3.35 inches and barrel tenon is 1.125 x 16 tpi. This action requires a 1.25 inch diameter barrel.
http://www.batmachine.com/batactions/model-m/ = Above. Below = Options.

http://www.batmachine.com/actions/2-lug-benchrest-style-actions/

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm building this mostly to hunt with. I do like to hammer steel as well. A couple other buddies have also advised to go with the 300 RUM.

Can you further advise as to why that particular caliber? Why not a 30-378 if you're going that big?

I will put a muzzle break on it for sure. One item I have debating more than others is using a Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel. Anyone use these?

>Thanks for the replies so far.
>
>
>I'm building this mostly to hunt
>with. I do like to
>hammer steel as well. A
>couple other buddies have also
>advised to go with the
>300 RUM.
>
>Can you further advise as to
>why that particular caliber? Why
>not a 30-378 if you're
>going that big?
>
>I will put a muzzle break
>on it for sure. One
>item I have debating more
>than others is using a
>Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel.
>Anyone use these?

Quit being a Pussssy!

338-378 MINIMUM!

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-16 AT 00:01AM (MST)[p]i just shot my first two trial loads w/ a .338 norma through a proof barrel. the four shots that were the same load made one hole at 100 yards. not too shabby for a 10lb rifle launching 300g bullets w/ the energy of a freight train. As of right now, the barrel has a total of 7 shots through it, i made an adjustment after the first one, the next 6 are shown. the action is a 700remmy out of a police sniper, formerly 338lapua.

93264proofgroup.jpg

Here ya Go smitty!

Weatherby does the Build!

You will wait your Turn/a while to get the Gun!

Weatherby TRR RC 338/378!

This Gun will Shoot in to Next Week!

Ms smitty won't Miss the Stash of Cash you've been hiding from Her!:D

82841weatherbymarkvtrrrc.jpg

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

You could go with something over the 300 RUM but why? if you thought a 300 win mag would do this is just an upgrade that should cover your needs well.

Unless I expected on 1000 yards shots on elk size game I wouldn't give anything bigger a thought.

You might consider having Jim Borden build you a gun on one of his actions. first class tack drivers. I think that's my next rifle I'm just trying to figure out why I need it.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>Hmmm Zeke I would like to
>try those VLD-x bullets if
>they are anything like the
>ELD-x bullets......(only harassing you a
>little). Bad minds must think
>alike because I just built
>the exact rifle you mentioned
>Except in a 28nos.

hahaha. I have to let you make fun of me on this one. I know better but was trying so hard to be so smart that I was so dumb, LOL

Since I have a 300 RUM, the rifle that I want next is a 28 N and it continues to pique my interest.

Zeke

>Thanks for the replies so far.
>
>
>I'm building this mostly to hunt
>with. I do like to
>hammer steel as well. A
>couple other buddies have also
>advised to go with the
>300 RUM.
>
>Can you further advise as to
>why that particular caliber? Why
>not a 30-378 if you're
>going that big?
>
>I will put a muzzle break
>on it for sure. One
>item I have debating more
>than others is using a
>Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel.
>Anyone use these?

You change the rules yet again with what action you can use with the 378 WBY size (30-378) cases and because of that it rules it our for ME.

We're all splitting hairs here and giving you our OPINIONS only.

Like I said, you want steak and we tell you where to get lobster! That's the MM way man! ha

Zeke

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-16
>AT 00:01?AM (MST)

>
>i just shot my first two
>trial loads w/ a .338
>norma through a proof barrel.
>the four shots that were
>the same load made one
>hole at 100 yards.
>not too shabby for a
>10lb rifle launching 300g bullets
>w/ the energy of a
>freight train. As of right
>now, the barrel has a
>total of 7 shots through
>it, i made an adjustment
>after the first one, the
>next 6 are shown. the
>action is a 700remmy out
>of a police sniper, formerly
>338lapua.
>
>
>
93264proofgroup.jpg

Damn nice!
Zeke

First time poster, long time lurker.

I think the 300 Win is an exceptional cartridge.

I've got a couple of good friends that are also in the action business. Are you located in Northern Utah?

I've got first hand experience with Hart barrels. The rifle it's on shoot great. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I've got a few friends that run Proof Research barrels. Do they shoot any better than any other quality custom barrel? In my opinion, No. Do they offer a weight advantage? Definitely. Do they look cool? Most definitely. Your rifle will weigh less with just the Proof barrel. My buddy just finished a 28 Nosler using one of his Titanium actions and the light weight McMillian stock. With everything except the scope (rail and rings were mounted) it weighed 7lbs 3 oz. He's planning on a Nightforce NXS which should put total rifle weight just over 9 lbs.

I would shoot the highest BC bullet you can get to shoot accurately. I'd start with the 210 Berger.

Before I did anything with a 300 RUM I'd look at the availability of brass in your area. I know people who are buying the cheapest Remington factory ammo they can find and are pulling the bullets and dumping the powder so they can have brass.

Good luck with your build. Custom rifles are awesome.

>You could go with something over
>the 300 RUM but why?
> if you thought
>a 300 win mag would
>do this is just an
>upgrade that should cover
>your needs well.
>
>Unless I expected on 1000 yards
>shots on elk size game
>I wouldn't give anything bigger
>a thought.
>
>You might consider having Jim Borden
>build you a gun on
>one of his actions.
>first class tack drivers.
>I think that's my next
>rifle I'm just trying to
>figure out why I need
>it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

You Coulda got yourself a Mini Ford with a 4 Cylinder Engine!

But You didn't,did You?

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom