gun/ load question:

T

timberghost

I just purchased a Rem Model 700 ADL .243 for my son. He was wanting to shoot coyotes with it and the shop I bought the gun at had some 55grain nosler ballistic tip bullets in .243. The owner said the velocity was 3800 fps. My question is, is this a good bullet/ gun for coyotes and is this velocity ok for the barrel?

Wont hurt the gun. Factory ammo is safe in all modern guns as long as the chamber is correct. IE no 270 in the 280 rifles etc...

Bullet should be very destructive too.

I would not attempt deer with that load(generally speaking)

Jeff

you can load a 55 gr .22/.250 to around 3800, if you tinker with it some. a .243 holds a little more powder, plus the larger diameter bullet is gonna give you a little more fps. i have some 60 gr .243's that are a little over 3700. i'd think 3800 would be real achievable in a .243. dang sure would be in a test rifle. as far a good coyote round, what ain't? shoot em all with what ya got, i guess unless you're sellin' hides. are they worth anything now? been so long since i've even inquired, i don't even know. i'd think a 55 gr .243 would be a fine coyote bullet.

I don't know about factory stuff, but I have handloaded the 55 grain Ballistic Tip to over 3900 fps in my Ruger M77 .243 This is over a chronograph of course. The load should work well for coyotes, and it does a hell of a job on ground squirrels! Sometimes getting light bullets for caliber to shoot well is a bear. They generally can't be seated anywhere near the lands. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-04 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]ACCORDING TO THE 2005 SHOOTERS BIBLE THE VELOCITY OF BLACK HILLS 55GRN B-TIPS IS INDEED 3800 FPS.

HORNADY 58 GRN V-MAX = 3750

WINCHESTER 55 GRN BALLISTIC SILVER TIPS = 4025

AWESOME FOR SMALL GAME NOT FOR DEER.

SUCKS TO BE WRONG DOESN'T IT FIRSTCOUES?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom