Gun shy dog

sniper14

I've got a 7 month old Vizsla that I've been trying to train for 5 months. She is the first dog I have owned and she has been wonderful. I have slowly introduced her to louder and louder noises not wanting to have any problems with her being gun shy. I finally felt it was time to shoot 22 blanks at about 50 yards away while I was throwing her favorite toy to retrieve. The first retrieve she was startled half to death and on the second throw no gunshot she wouldn't even fetch it. Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated. I swear I went slow enough, but I might have made my hunting dog an expensive house dog. Please let me know what I should do now.
Thanks and happy hunting as the seasons get closer

Had GSP that got really gun shy after her first big chukar shoot. I had to go back and start from scratch( started with the banging pans when I fed her). I made sure I was super excited through the whole process and even introduced treats. After about 2 months she was not flinching a bit. Her next hunt she finally started to coralate the bang to the bird and never looked back. I'd read many many people say I'd never get her over it but she did and you'd have never guessed it was an issue by her 2nd season. Good luck!

Can it be reversed yes but it's gonna take a lot of time and knowledge. I would suggest talking to a professional trainer to assure you go about it properly.
Although people do use the pot and pan trick and other noises while they eat with some success its ALWAYS best to introduce gun fire with birds.
Good luck to you and your dog hope everything works out.

I think part of your problem may be that you are introducing the gun while she is performing a command and it is distracting her. I would suggest that you try shooting the gun while she is just out running a field rather than while she is trying to retrieve or performing any other commands for you. Take her out for a run, wait until she is a good distance off and fire the gun into the ground. Don't look at her, don't give her a command, don't say a word just keep walking. If she comes over to check it out, don't acknowledge that anything happened just keep walking. Try this a few more times while she is still a good distance away. I am talking 100 yds or so. Since she is a Vizsla, you should have no problem finding a time when she is 100 yds away from you. Gradually decrease the distance but always pay no attention to the gun shot or the dog. If at any point you see that the dog is scared of the gunshot rather than just curious you should stop. If the dog receives no positive or negative response from the gunshot eventually she will pay little attention, which is what you want. If she is already scared of gunshot, which it does not sound like it is the case, then you have a much bigger problem on your hands. I don't know how to fix that as I have never had that happen by proceeding the way I have described. By using this method I have never had a dog that took more than 1 hour to get completely introduced to gunfire, from start to finish. And I never had to beat a single set of pots and pans together. Good luck.

No advice on gunshyness, just a huge vote of confidence and passion for Vizslas as hunters and best friends. I have been involved w a V rescue group for 10 years. I can vouch for hunting drive, devotion, smarts, and that point is classic.

+1 on introducing with a bird. also calling and talking to a trainer is a great idea. its a hard thing to break. good luck!

"Shoot Straight"

it can be fixed stop loud noises around her for a bit. then start slow and small when the dog is having fun.. after a time buy a homing pigeon or other type pigeon tie a 3 or 4 foot rope to it. so they can't fly but can only run and hop. get her birdy and excited let her have the fun for a bit. then start with a kids cap gun. work up to a 22 blank.. never let her see the gun and encourage the hell out of her and make her feel like she's the coolest dog in the world.. it'll work I've fixed a gun shy llewellin setter this way. p.m me if you'd like

Jake

+2 on shooting over birds..or rabbits....your dog does not think like humans...she will identify with the shot and the game....once that dog see's what just happened after the shot take her to the game...let her smell it mouth it etc. reward her be playful happy pet her with the game.....if that after a few times doesn't get that dog going....yeh you got a house pet...but it's in her blood she will be fine ..
Just my 2cents

))))------->

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I did a cap gun in the house today while she was playing with the kids. She looked over the first shot and then the next 15 she just kept playing with no care in the world for the sound. Thanks again to all. I might send a PM or two thanks Jake for the offer.

hmmmmm....I've got a shark toothed fire breathing hunting fool Jagd terrier that is game to take on the world.....until the first shot....then he is cowering under the porch like a toy poodle....jeezus

Sometimes if you start 150 yds or more away from the Trap shooting area at the local gun range and just move a little closer as you toss out stuff for her to fetch and reward her with small pieces of hotdogs some time this will work in get them over the bang. If you or buddy have another dog that isn't gun shy work them both together as you do this.
Now this will take several days or longer.

Good luck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I've read that having someone the dog is familiar with, walk the pup toward you while you are shooting. Starting from a few 100yds, easing their way in. Then when the pups see you are the one making all the noise, release the dog and call her to you. Reward with treat. Haven't tried it out. Might be worth a try.

I broke a gunshy GSP in one day. Took him to a busy trap range and tied him to the fence. Sat there petting and giving treats. After about 1,000 rounds he was good to go and never had a problem for the next 10 years.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

I would highly recommend not doing what a lot of these people are tellling you to do. Even though they mean well.

I have trained pointing dogs for years and have been successful at Field Trialing also. If you would like to give me a call I can walk you through a few things to help you get pointed in the right direction.

Please dont tie the dog to a fence and shoot 1000 rounds over it.....

801-494-9977
Josh

Good post Josh, especially the comment about not taking the dog to a range and tying him to a fence!!!

There is a difference between shooting over a dog and standing 25 yards behind a firing line at a trap range.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

If a dog is gun shy, just banging guns around it will more than likely just make it worse. Gun shyness in a dog is a man made problem. There are a lot more effective proven ways of correcting a gun shy dog.

>There is a difference between shooting
>over a dog and standing
>25 yards behind a firing
>line at a trap range.
>

Yep; exactly 25 yards and the noise to him is just as bad! Tying him up so he can't get away is just plain ignorant of how a gun shy dog should be handled. Sorry, but that's the last thing to do with a problem dog, just as our other member stated.

If this dog cowers under the porch or behind the sofa when a thunder storm comes through then you need to decide how much time, effort and money you are going to spend on what might be a lost cause.

This could just be a young dog that got upset about a new sound and it might be OK with some work. But if it doesn't come around pretty quick you may be wasting your time.

With most gun shy dogs it's genetic. I had a Dalmatian that got so upset every time a thunder storm came through that it had seizures. It was still doing it when it passed on at twelve years old. We have a Maltese now that jumps on my lap and trembles every time a thunder storm comes through. Neither of these dogs were ever near a gun.

If it stays gun shy then don't breed it. Americans are the worst to breed dogs and pass on bad blood lines. That's why police departments have to pay $10,000 to get dogs from Europe or American bred dogs with European blood lines.

I've been around bird dogs and field trialing my whole life. At one point I was considered a pro according to the governing bodies. Don't tie the dog to a fence and shoot a thousand rounds over it. If the dog is crazy about birds, the problem can be fixed rather easily. I can help if you want, or talk to Josh.

Thanks to all the advice. I am happy to say that my dog is doing great and she now has a great excitement when the gun goes off because she knows that the fun has just begun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom