gun storage problem

alsatian

I will be returning from a Wyoming pronghorn hunt through Durango, CO. I will stop to backpack/scout for elk near the Missionary Ridge area NE of Durango. I have no elk tag and cannot carry my rifles with me (two of us: my son and I). I plan to park my vehicle at the terminus of a 4 wheel drive road and strike out on foot onto the trails.

My problem: what do I do with my rifles? I'm concerned that if I leave my rifles in my truck they will be stolen. I will be coming out of the woods Saturday afternoon, October 23.

Any suggestions? I have thought about finding a gun smith or a gun range and asking them to store the guns for me. I have thought about trying to find a trustworthy individual to store the guns for me. The thought only occured to me last night, and I'm leaving Friday afternoon to drive to Gillette, so I don't have much time to resolve this problem. The worst case solution, I suppose, is to rent a hotel room for my rifles with instructions to the keeper of the Inn that this is what I'm doing and to keep hands off. I'm not sure this is a good plan, either.

Alsatian,

You might PM either Dutch or Colorado Bob, both live in the Durango area. Can't really speak for them but both seem to be stand up guys. Colorado Bob had a rifle stolen last year so he should be sympathetic.

BeanMan

The license plate number is 655321 and the rifle is a BMG .50 cal, one of two that I own. The other one will be with me, up on the ridge overlooking my truck! ;-)

It depends upon how fast you are running! Besides, I try to make the first shot count, before the running starts.

Stop at the nearest church and ask them to hold them for you until you come out....Or stop at a police station and ask the samething...

Though you probably don't want to carry them there should be nothing stating that you cannot. It might look suspicious to a warden. But if you would stop at the local PD and tell them to call the warden and tell him (her?) what you are going to do I"d bet you'll be fine. Or that they'll volunteer to lock them up for you.

After all you still have the right to defend yourself against 2 or 4 legged problems.

That may change after the election in November if I bunch of folks, my mother in law included, don't get their heads out of southern regions though........

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom