Gunnison basin winter kill

cabinfever

Very Active Member
My hunting partner recently spoke with a landowner in unit 55. This landowner said the deer were winter killing hard in the area this year. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this. Also said there was a lot of deer getting hit on the freeway.

cabinfever

This is the opposite of what I have heard from talking with a guy that is doing a radio collar study in the Gunnison basin. They have had a lot of snow up high but rain and generally mild temps low. Lots of highway kills but that is true every year.

Its true, pretty sure most of the deer in 55 and 54 are dead so if I were you I would apply else where.

NUNYA

That settles it.I will sale these 2 LO vouchers for $50 on ebay. I just can't understand why guys are bidding $5000 for them.LOL

cabinfever

I will give you 200 each for them. Just to help do my part in getting those winter stricken deer back on thier feet.

Cabinfever, I just got back from The Basin and I saw guys loading frozen buck carcasses in their trucks right and left. I couldn't believe all the dead deer! You could look across the high snow banks and see antler tips poking out of the snow. It could take years for this unit to recover.
I know a guy that would give you $299 for your tags, and he would even drive to your house to save you a stamp.

The winter kill was slightly above average.
We have had a great Feb and March and I think
the only kill will be fawns and yearlings.
Yes the road kill is very high but not unusual.
We are looking at the past 7 years where we had
mild winters and think this was a bad one.
Freeway in Gunn? Roy in Montrose I will be shed
hunting every day in about 2 weeks.

deerbedead

I was thinking since Colorado has had a 90 percent winter kill and all the big bucks are dead that I'd donate those tags to Ryan hatch and all his cronies so they have a place to hunt this year.
How's the shed hunt'n going? I may sneak out this week for a look around.

Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom