Gunnison Recommendations

BMosh

Headed out for deer 2nd rifle. After much debate, electing to stay in town as opposed to camp this year. Looking for recommendations on places to stay, eat, etc. Maybe even a local watering hole. Also places to avoid.

First trip to Gunnison.. looking forward to seeing some new country.

Too long of a drive every morning to get to the good areas to hunt and town affords distractions to one’s hunt. Don’t do it. With the conditions of the deer there now it will just result in failure

Too long of a drive every morning to get to the good areas to hunt and town affords distractions to one’s hunt. Don’t do it. With the conditions of the deer there now it will just result in failure
I typically camp. I got diagnosed with coronary artery disease and had a 99% blocked artery at the end of last year. I got lucky and it was resolved with no damage to the heart. I'm only 38 and it's been 10 months, I feel healthy and more than capable. The plan was to go solo, camp etc. But the wife put her foot down so this is kind of a compromise.

It really depends on what unit you are hunting and if you are concentrating on one area, or trying to stay mobile. We were in the unit surrounding Gunny last year and we stayed in a motel. We always left in the dark and came back in the dark, so no distractions for us. We took our own frozen meals and just heated them up in the microwave. That allowed us to stay mobile and hunt several different areas. It worked out well for us, but maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age.

It really depends on what unit you are hunting and if you are concentrating on one area, or trying to stay mobile. We were in the unit surrounding Gunny last year and we stayed in a motel. We always left in the dark and came back in the dark, so no distractions for us. We took our own frozen meals and just heated them up in the microwave. That allowed us to stay mobile and hunt several different areas. It worked out well for us, but maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age.
I'll be in 67. I have the time to be there the entire season if need be and have the gear to be mobile for multiple days if need be.

I don't know 67 at all so I can't advise on the unit itself. If you are trailing an ATV, I'd check with places to park at where you stay. Some motels seemed to have limited parking and that's a problem if you are pulling an ATV trailer. If you motel hunt you will have to leave well before light to get to most places in the unit in order to catch the best hunting hours. That means knowing where you are going while it's dark. We spent mid day time exploring roads etc and we stayed out from daylight til dark. We also encountered lots of elk and deer hunters during the second season so plenty of competition.
Roads can be nasty if it storms so come prepared with chains, etc.
I hope you have a good time. We saw even less mature deer than we anticipated. The rut was slow to kick in, especially during my second season hunt but bucks eventually started to chase does. My son ended up killing a smoker on the morning of the last day of his 3rd season hunt. Otherwise we were prepared to come home empty.
Best of luck.

I hunted the entire 3rd season in 66 last year and got to know Gunnison some. driving from town was no problem and since it was below zero camping would have sucked anyway.

We stayed at Tomichi Inn on the east side of town, and it was great. when my wife draws we will again.

The Miner's exchange is my favorite spot. the pizza joint a few buildings away is good too. everyplace we went was good I just like Miner's the best.

Don't miss out on visiting the Trader's Rendezvous, you'll see some of the best deer ever taken, and make depressed once you see what you're going to find.

I've stayed at the Dos Rios Inn a few times while hunting 66, 67 and 54. Great place, Hunter friendly. Seen many a deer and elk quarter hanging from the railings. It's a bit of a drive to good 67 deer hunting.... Especially if there's any ice on the road. I hunted 67 for the first time in 2002 or 2003. We camped 11 days in the back of my dad's truck. Most miserable time I've ever had mostly due to lack of preparation on my part. There were a couple nights that got down to -21°F. Our 5 gallon water jugs froze solid. I remember hearing that the Gunnison basin is, on average, the coldest place in the lower 48. Sure as hell seemed like it that year!

Jim

I've stayed at the Dos Rios Inn a few times while hunting 66, 67 and 54. Great place, Hunter friendly. Seen many a deer and elk quarter hanging from the railings. It's a bit of a drive to good 67 deer hunting.... Especially if there's any ice on the road. I hunted 67 for the first time in 2002 or 2003. We camped 11 days in the back of my dad's truck. Most miserable time I've ever had mostly due to lack of preparation on my part. There were a couple nights that got down to -21°F. Our 5 gallon water jugs froze solid. I remember hearing that the Gunnison basin is, on average, the coldest place in the lower 48. Sure as hell seemed like it that year!

Jim
Gunnison isn’t even close to the coldest place in the lower 48.

According to Wikipedia its one of the coldest places in the United States in winter. Some of those late seasons up high have a place in my memory.

I was there last year and did a bit of both. I stayed in a room a few nights and slept in my truck some after my friend had to head back to work. You could see what it looks by this weekend for forecast but it will be 10/11 and probably single digits in the morning above 8/9k feet I can tell you that. With warmer weather the deer are probably going to be higher than last year with no real snow yet. There is a storm forecast for late next week however.

This at 11500ish a few days ago in 66. Not even close to what it looked like last year by now. Not sure how that will effect the deer migration by next Saturday.
AEC18834-5758-42E4-85FC-7CC4CAEAA6FE.jpeg
E74E3547-B6D4-46B3-86D6-7091F3B117E0.jpeg

I was there last year and did a bit of both. I stayed in a room a few nights and slept in my truck some after my friend had to head back to work. You could see what it looks by this weekend for forecast but it will be 10/11 and probably single digits in the morning above 8/9k feet I can tell you that. With warmer weather the deer are probably going to be higher than last year with no real snow yet. There is a storm forecast for late next week however.
I like that plan. Be prepared to do both. Camp when comfortable and or needed for timing and access. Stay indoors when the weather beats you down. Thats how i hunt the gunnison country.

I hunted 67 4th season in 2019 and stayed in a motel on west side of Gunnison. Was a 35-40 minute ride to get to hunting spot every morning. Temps were 9 -10 before daylight and rose to 30 or so during the day. However, 9-10 with no humidity is a walk in the park compared to 9-10 in Mississippi where the air is too thick to breathe almost. No way I would lug camping gear out there to hunt 67. BMosh, send me a pm and i will tell you where all the deer were when I was there, I doubt much has changed except a lesser quantity of animals

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom