Gunsmith near me

jgriffin82

I ordered a Mcmillian stock in late January. After a long wait, I got a call today saying it was ready. We ran into an unfortunate problem though. I was going to send the stock straight to CDI Precision in FL to have it inletted for the their detachable mag bottom metal. Sadly, Jeff, the owner and operator passed away recently and his wife is scrambling to fulfill his commitments and now has a huge backlog. The stock already took 8 weeks longer than expected due to a QA/QC issue at McMillian. I want to get this gun dialed in ASAP for hunts in September! I'm going to purchase the DBM today and have it shipped to me. I'll need the stock inletted. As it sits, the stock has zero bottom metal inletting done to it. Action and barrel channel are done though. Can anybody recommend a really good smith in Northern California? I live in Napa and am willing to drive a couple hours to make this happen. Thanks,

Jim

it takes 8 months to get a stock from McMillan???

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>it takes 8 months to get
>a stock from McMillan???
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

No, I made a typo in my original post. I got my barrel order and stock order confused. I was told 26-28 weeks when I ordered the stock. I finalized the order on 26 February and was called today to tell me that it was complete. I called McMillian on 7 July to get an update. At that time, I was told that it would be about 6 more weeks because an air bubble was found and it had to be repaired. I've been happy with their service. Both guys that I have dealt with were very helpful.

Jim

To get a rifle all put together in that time frame is asking a lot. You would have to good relationship with a gun builder to pull this off. It doesn't help that your are not buying any parts from him. They usually have certain products they like to go with. But after you get it put together. You still need to do load development ,sight in and then order turrets. All before September? You may have to use a rifle you already have set up . Save this build for another hunt. But if you do pull it off. Post up some pictures. Not trying to be a hateful here. Just try to be realistic. Good luck to you.

I realize gunsmiths like to use their preferred parts. They are like engine builders. There are only two DBM options for LA Savages that I can find (not including factory). The rifle is completely assembled and Cerakoted, minus stock and bottom metal of course. I'll live with factory loads for now. I did all the assembly myself. It's a budget build. The action was trued during a previous build. The barrel is a McGowen prefit. Pacific tool and gauge has a DBM for LA Savage rifles. I may just have it sent there if I can find some good reviews on their DBM. If worst comes to worst, I'll keep it a blind mag. I don't use turrets specific to my cartridge. I use the standard Leupold turrets with 1/4 moa hash marks and make dope charts specific to load and environmental factors.

Jim

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-19 AT 10:39PM (MST)[p]Call Chris at trinity gunsmithing. Not sure if he does inletting or not though.
There are many other highly qualified gunsmiths if you are willing to ship the stock and bottom metal. I would personally rather wait and have the inlet done right and fit and function as opposed to rushing it for September.

It seems there was lack of communication or a total misunderstanding on my part. I talked to Josh at McMillian on Tuesday and got everything squared away. Ends up that my stock was fully inletted for the CDI DBM. It sounds like I may have to massage the fit just a bit though. Hopefully I get it in the next day or so. Thanks for the input guys.

Jim

Mcmillan is pretty good on most inletting. If anything you might have to clearance the inlet in the magazine well a little. Glad you got it squared away. Post pics when it's done.

Which model McMillian did you order?

>Mcmillan is pretty good on most
>inletting. If anything you might
>have to clearance the inlet
>in the magazine well a
>little. Glad you got it
>squared away. Post pics when
>it's done.
>
>Which model McMillian did you order?
>

I will definitely post pics when I'm finished assembling. I got the textured HTG in GAP camo (molded in). It took two months to decide which stock and color I wanted. After talking to a few guys and discussing how I like to shoot and expressing that this would primarily be a hunting rifle, McMillian recommended the HTG. I had them cut the barrel channel at 1.0625" in case I ever want to go to a heavier contour. It'll shave a off a few ounces as well. Hopefully offset the DBM weight.

Jim

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-19 AT 05:37PM (MST)[p]Nothing wrong with an HTG! Sounds like a fun rifle. What's it chambered in?

Finally got it done. I couldn't use talley rings because the Leupold is too short for a long action Savage. I ended up having a EGW pic rail and rings laying around. Got them coated and did final assembly yesterday. I milled flat, about 3/4" of the rail on the front. That way I could get good eye relief without using taller rings. I used a rifle basix trigger. I was happy with the first few that I've used in other guns but, this one gave me fits. I couldn't get it adjusted to a consistent 2.5# and have it be safe. I required such a small amount of sear engagement at 2.5# that I could make it fire with the safety on. So, I settled for 3#. I may go another route in the future. The stock took some Dremel and milling work to make the trigger and DBM clear. I bedded the lug. We'll see how it shoots before I go full length. I was aiming for 8.5# rifle weight without magazine and ammo. Ended up right at 9#. I shoot heavy guns much better than light ones. My Kimber @ 6lb 7oz is great to carry but, my groups aren't great. Hopefully the extra 2.5# helps keep me solid.

Jim

18150img20190829163502.jpg

10825img20190828140631.jpg

Great looking rifle!!
Some Leupold scopes definitely have a short tube and eye relief can be a pain. You can sometimes flip the Talley front ring around and get some extra adjustment or they do make extended talleys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom