H-S precision aftermarket stock

need4x4

How much of an upgrade is the standard H-S precision stock on the model 700. I mean vs. the regular black synthetic stock on many mod. 700's. Not the new ones with the grey inserts, just the standard all black synt. stocks on model 700.

Thanks in advance.

PS> the has has aluminum bedding blocks and would seem to be a nice upgrade. What are the drawbacks if any?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-08 AT 11:15AM (MST)[p]
The HS stock is a real nice one if you don't mind the wieght, if you like a lighter rifle there are better choices.

Thanks for the opinions.

I have never owned either (H-S or McMillan).

They are each listed at 2.25 lbs.

I am not concerned with weight as this will be on a 338 win. mag and some weight won't hurt when sending larger grain bullets down the barrel.

I know most consider McMillan as better, but you pay more.

Any other thoughts.

The Remington custom shop guns like the KS use Bell & Carlson stocks. you can buy them drop in pretty reasonable from a few places but stick with the custom shop stocks, the regular aftermarket ones with the cheezy checkering look like junk in my opinion.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-08 AT 09:21AM (MST)[p]If you go with a stock like the HS with the aluminum bedding block, you should consider having a skim bedding job done to get a better fit between the block and the receiver.

You should also handle an HS stock first to see if you like the feel. With smaller hands, I think it is a little large through the wrist.

My favorite stock is the Hogue Overmold with full length bedding. Usually screws right on and really improves accuracy. Non slip rubber molded protection. Nice shape, feels good in your hands!

TM

Where is the best place to buy a HS Precision stock? The only place that I can find the tan with black webing is on HS Precisions site. $350 Plus $32 shipping. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom