Hammer Bullet Weight

ce61

My friend wants to try some hammer bullets in a 7mm08 and a 270 Winchester, mainly for deer hunting. What weight bullets has anyone had good results with ? Thanks ce61

I shoot the 92gr. Hammer Hunters outta my 25-06 and they are deadly on deer sized game and coyotes really hate them. Also shoot the 155gr. HHs outta my 7 Mag, deadly and extremely accurate as well.

Anyone shoot the 100grain hunters in .270. They claim 3600-3800 !! with the right gun and load.

You will need to know the twist rate on the barrels. They are good killing bullets, not the best BC, so I prefer to go lighter and faster. Lots of info on LRH forum including some load data

You will need to know the twist rate on the barrels. They are good killing bullets, not the best BC, so I prefer to go lighter and faster. Lots of info on LRH forum including some load data
Interesting the crap Steve still gets on LRH. Long time member and sponsor. Nope, not the best BC, but who cares? Like you said, light and fast. I use 80 grain in .243, 117 in .270 and 166 in .30-06. Probably going to go lighter in .243 and .30-06. The RUM is going to get 168 HHT's. 3600 or so. mtmuley

Interesting the crap Steve still gets on LRH. Long time member and sponsor. Nope, not the best BC, but who cares? Like you said, light and fast. I use 80 grain in .243, 117 in .270 and 166 in .30-06. Probably going to go lighter in .243 and .30-06. The RUM is going to get 168 HHT's. 3600 or so. mtmuley
What velocity are you getting with the 117?

My friend wants to try some hammer bullets in a 7mm08 and a 270 Winchester, mainly for deer hunting. What weight bullets has anyone had good results with ? Thanks ce61
Check out this link for possible loads:

Check out this link for possible loads:
Man even the starting loads are excellent velocities!

He stopped over with some bullets, 145 Shock hammer for the 270 and 150 Shock hammer for the 7mm08. I looked on their website and they don't list any loads for the 7mm08, I think maybe to heavy of a bullet for the 7mm08? All he is planning is shooting white tail at 100 or less yards. I think he should have gotten lighter bullets, but they should still work at the closer distance? What do ya think?? ce61

Lowest impact velocity I tested a hammer at was around 2000fps impact and it killed very well. You should be fine. Maybe order some lighter ones next go around but nothing wrong with that, as long as the twist rate in the barrel with stabilize. It might be too heavy definitely check before shooting them or they will not work. If not, hammer used to be pretty cool about exchanging bullets worth it to give them a call.

You would need to go onto the LRH load data spreadsheet to see if anyone has loaded that combo. Hammer does not advertise/publish load data themselves. Use caution a lot of those dudes are pushing the limits on their loads.

You would need to go onto the LRH load data spreadsheet to see if anyone has loaded that combo. Hammer does not advertise/publish load data themselves. Use caution a lot of those dudes are pushing the limits on their loads.
ce61,
The load data is also on the Hammer forum. https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/forums/reloading.24/

If I were seeking seriously experienced advice, I'd sign up and ask the question there. I've switched to Hammers in all of my hunting rifles.

Push them as fast as possible, definitely stay on the light side if you're running a factory twist barrel. The 143 in my 9 twist 28 Nosler at 3500 fps does a great job on Elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom