Hand lapping a barrel

Yakatak

I have a couple barrels that I'd like to "hand lap" but I can't seem to locate instructions for doing so or a list of components to acquire. Also thinking of doing a Bore Coat when i'm finished. Any advise would be appreciated?
Regards, Yak

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-11 AT 07:26AM (MST)[p]Here is the best one I have found:

http://www.realtree.com/forums/bluelks-muzzleloader-room/46191-lapping-barrel.html

About the 3-4th post, the link is copied

Bluelk was a great source (I believe he is deceased) and his imput is missed. However, I am not sure that applying the teflon is still recommended. I would apply something like Montana extreme bore conditioner instead, but since I have yet to do this on a muzzy, you might check this out with more knowledgeable people

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Most match lapped barrels are done with a lead lap poured to match the barrel. I think what he is doing is a bit closer to a polish or a super deep clean. i just don't think a true barrel lapping is very easy thing. You could try fire lapping, with something like David Tubb sells. You will loose some of the throat and life of the barrel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom