Handgun hunting

bonepicker

Very Active Member
I've hunted mule deer my whole life and love it but I can only draw in Oregon every 3 or so years. We have a general season Blacktail deer tag in Western Oregon that I can buy OTC every year if I don't draw a tag, obviously not a great tag but I'm just starting to think about shifting to pistol to hunt Blacktail deer. A little more info: 1) It is legal in Oregon to hunt with a handgun during rifle season. 2) I would use it only for Blacktail deer which are smaller than mule deer (on the hoof weight of around 200 lbs at full maturity). 3) Most of the Blacktail habitat is very dense so most shots would be 25 yards or so (I wouldn't take any shot beyond 50 yards) and 4) I currently have a .357 mag revolver with a 6" barrel.

The benefits would be more mobility (hiking through nasty thick junk to get to a spot with a rifle is a pain and often leaves my rifle soaked and covered in pitch.) And it would be easier to bike into an area on roads closed to motorized traffic. Also, while most of my hunting has been on big sections of public land, I've discovered some decent bucks on pockets of public land (totally legal to hunt) but have houses within 1/4 mile, even though I'm always careful, I feel it's not wise to hunt those areas with my .270.

Does anyone have experience hunting with a handgun? I'm looking particularly for thoughts on the best game loads, scope vs. open sight, etc. Thanks!

I've never hunted with a handgun, but I know a guy that has shot several whitetail deer with a 357mag. He has a scope on his and has shot them out to 100yds with good results.
I'd say go for it. Sound like a fun challenge.

The 357 will take deer easy with the right bullet. I would load a max load using 296 powder with a 158 gr. XTP hollowpoint. Put that bullet into the lungs or heart and you will have a dead deer.
That load will give you about 1400-1450 fps with that bullet. You can get the load data from the Hodgdon reloading web site.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom