Handgun stopping power

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Do you agree with this article? RELH?

One of the most persistent gun myths is that of stopping power, which is the notion that the force of an impact from a bullet will knock down or otherwise stop an attacker. It doesn't exist. It doesn't even take a lot to figure out why. What actually stops a person is not the caliber or muzzle energy delivered to the body as the result of a gunshot. Don't listen to the 10mm fanboys; it's a great big lie and we're going to go over why handgun stopping power basically doesn't exist.. Continue reading at: https://gunbelts.com/blog/why-stopping-power-is-a-myth/

I recall a friend of mine stating how stupid I was letting my wife buy a .380 due to its to small to kill someone. My response was REALLY!!!!! I sure as heck don't want to be shot with it nor any caliber. Hell my kids nerf guns hurt me.

Now when talking about big ol grizzly bear I have a different opinion.

Thanks for the article. One of my favorite things to do is argue with people. In a friendly way. I’m one of those people that doesn’t hold a grudge if someone doesn’t believe the way I do. This article is proof that it’s all in the writing. It’s good argument material if someone tosses an article at you about anything like politics, drugs, health etc.. Just bring up the fact about clever writing.

Firearms have stopping power. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've never seen a firearm blow someone off their feet like in the movies but I have seen guns kill some animals and people in amazingly destructive ways. A lot of it has to do with bullet design and speed at which the bullet enters the body and yes what it strikes when it goes through the body.

You can see slow motion film of animals and people being shot and see the wave of force traveling through their bodies sometimes. That wave of force is amazingly powerful and can cause extensive bleeding outside of the wound channel, tear open other portions of the body outside of the wound channel, shut down the central nervous system and even make a body immediately release its bowels when struck.

Sorry I know the question was at RELH but I had to chime in. I in no way am attempting to speak for RELH.

There were a few reasions I changed my ccw from 45 to 40.
#1 I can conseal my glock 23 much better than my 91A1
#2 the 40 holds 13+1 vs the 45 7+1
#3 the 40 is much more pleasant to shoot than the 45 and I find I can shoot faster and more accurate with the 40, probably because of this.
It would be horrible to ever need to use this on any person. I have given a great amount if thought and have decided, that if my family were in danger, I could, and would use it without hesitation. And I belive I could use it effecivly. It wouldnt cross my mind ,I am sure, about what power my round has, I would fire until the threat ended, or I am out of rounds. Then I guess I would continue to fight with whatever means avalible.

There were a few reasions I changed my ccw from 45 to 40.
#1 I can conseal my glock 23 much better than my 91A1
#2 the 40 holds 13+1 vs the 45 7+1
#3 the 40 is much more pleasant to shoot than the 45 and I find I can shoot faster and more accurate with the 40, probably because of this.
It would be horrible to ever need to use this on any person. I have given a great amount if thought and have decided, that if my family were in danger, I could, and would use it without hesitation. And I belive I could use it effecivly. It wouldnt cross my mind ,I am sure, about what power my round has, I would fire until the threat ended, or I am out of rounds. Then I guess I would continue to fight with whatever means avalible.
+ 100
Don’t shoot to wound shoot to kill.
I’ve been packing a 9 mm for years but I am actually going down right now to buy a 38 hammerless hit them in the right place it doesn’t matter
A pack a 45 when I’m in the mountains

....and the reason you should have a different opinion about a grizzly load all comes back to proper penetration and bullet performance.

While a 380 would surely get through my skin, it probably won't on a bear.

Zeke

That's fine Tri. I just mentioned RELH because of his extensive law enforcement career. Thank you for the reply. All of you.

I'm certainly no expert at shooting people but my animal hunting experience has shown that a bigger bullet traveling faster is better at killing than a small slower one, but they both will kill. Eventually. Eventually is not what I'm after when it comes to shooting people.

If someone makes the decision that I need to shoot them I don't want that person to keep coming for me. I don't want them to call an ambulance, the cops, or their mother. I want them dead or nearly so, right now.

I've shot probably 40 Blacktail deer and about 30 were with a .30-30 or 6mm Remington which is basically a .243 Win. I never stopped one in its tracks when shot behind the shoulder. They always ran a ways. That's not the case with the .300 Win Mag. They all collapse where shot.

It seems incorrect to say a handgun doesn't have stopping power.

Under laboratory conditions you can kill a Grizzly bear with a .22 LR, but that doesn't mean you should make a habit of it, especially if your life depends on it.

Years ago I was on a bear hunt on the Alaska Peninsula. We had tagged out and a hunter from Chili and I had become friends in camp and he asked the outfitter if I could play assistant guide for him and his guide. Long story short: he shot a big brown and broke it's back. The bear was on it's front feet facing us at about 50 yards. He told the guide "I have packed this pistol all over the world, I want to find out how it will do" he emptied the pistol, a 44 magnum with his hand loads into the bears chest. The bear just shook it's head but did not go down. He then finished it with his 375. When we skinned the bear all of the slugs were about 3 " under the skin. None made it into the body. A big brown bear has very thick skin on it's chest.Type of slug, load, and placement in my opinion are the key. He obviously had the wrong slug and possibly a light load. All it would have done was piss the bear off. Probably would have left an exit wound about the size of a coffee cup in man.

Last edited:
You are not going to find much stopping power in most handgun calibers. None of them is 100 % effective. The best you can do is get a bullet that will expand several calibers and still penetrate deep enough to destroy vital organs. Your best chances on a one shot stop is "BULLET PLACEMENT" on your target.
I have study law enforcement cases where a suspect took 15-16 rounds from two 9mm pistols before he went down. On our local shooting here last year. Both deputies were ambushed at about 15 ft. distance in a house. Both were wounded twice, but both officers were able to return fire on the suspect. They kept firing until he hit the floor. The suspect died from multiple gun shot wounds. He was hit 21 times by the officers 40 S&W handguns. One officer must have missed one shot as their guns both carried 11 rounds total.
On the other end of the spectum. when I shot the felon at 97 yards, as he was pointing a rifle at me, I hit him one inch below the left nipple with my 45 acp Colt NM. The bullet, a +P 185 gr. HP, exited just below his left armpit. That suspect went down to the ground ASAP. At that distance my 45 caliber bullet had less energy then those two officers using their 40 S&W at such close range.
When it comes to shooting humans that may be shooting back, bullet placement is the key over caliber. In other words practice as much as possible on being fast AND ACCURATE.

Eel,et al...I write the following with pain and no offense intended.

Many people read and do not Post. Many are from Law Enforcement and this question "Could" bring back memories of terrible times.
I am glad no one from LE has Posted, I am from, such a Background.

The question is "BALLISTIC MASTURBATION".
Hence this topic has made writing articles by neophytes a money maker for decades. Its also a Marketing sales pitch.

Homer is smart above.

Jagerdad :-(

PS: When I wrote my above Post, REHL had not been shown as a Poster. REHL, I apologize if my words strike you, wrongfully.

Jagerdad

One person that I knew who was shot and killed was killed with a 44 magnum revolver. He was sitting in a chair. A man sitting at the table drew the revolver without provocation and shot three rounds as fast as he could pull a double action trigger. two of the three rounds struck the victim. One was through his lower arm. The first round hit him square in the chest and knocked him right out the back of the chair. The third person at the table stated the victim was stone dead and never twitched after the first round hit him. If that isn't knockdown power I don't know what is.

I'm guessing....a pissed off 900 pound alaskan brown bear with a fatal bullet wound through his heart and lungs could still do alot of close in human killing before expiring....

Ideally, wouldn't a brain or neck spine shot be preferable....if you could pick?

On a brown bear the skull is the "trophy" so no brain shot. The neck is huge and massive with muscle so a little risky. The ideal shot in my opinion is right threw the front shoulders breaking both of them. I shot mine at 35 yards with a 375 three times as fast as I could work the bolt. It knocked him down the first shot but he was still trying to get up. Roaring like he$$..scary after it was all over! Skinning, especially if it is alders is a real work out for two guys.

Homer, I often think about that. If I truly felt my life was on the line, I'm shooting at the slightest twitch by the bad guy. Would the cops see it as excessive if the guy has 6 rounds of .45 Long Colt center mass? Yes, it's a single action....lol

454 CASULL!

Best Bear Revolver I Own!

ruger alaskan.jpg

On a brown bear the skull is the "trophy" so no brain shot. The neck is huge and massive with muscle so a little risky. The ideal shot in my opinion is right threw the front shoulders breaking both of them. I shot mine at 35 yards with a 375 three times as fast as I could work the bolt. It knocked him down the first shot but he was still trying to get up. Roaring like he$$..scary after it was all over! Skinning, especially if it is alders is a real work out for two guys.
I thought this thread was about handguns and bear encounters......I know very well how to kill one hunting

Nope
Shoot to kill!
You going to arrest me now? Lol
If your in my house and I FEEL my life is threatened I can knock your ass dead.
Legally!

Last edited:
Mtmuley, no, the 110 in a magnum at high velocity has a tendency to open to fast and not get the penetration you need in the chest cavity. the 125 gr. HP has the best one shot stop average in law enforcement shootings. during the 60's to the 80's most officers carried 357 mag revolvers and there was one heck of a lot shootings involving the 125 gr. mag. and it's performance.
Back then the 9mm and 38 spec. had a piss poor rep for stopping power. That has changed today due to the advancement in bullet design where even a 9mm will get 13-15 inch penetration in ballistic gel and open up to 40-41 caliber.

below I posted a link where you can view ballistic gel tests on various calibers from 380 to 45 acp. What i like about this site is that they based their outcome on 5 shots into ballistic gel. and not just one shot as most sites do. On the photo of the 5 bullets, just click on the picture and you will see a enlarged photo to better see the performance of all five bullets. You will be surprised to see some so called defensive ammo fail this test by one or two bullets will expand and the other bullets failed to expand at all. FBI recommends at least 13 inches of penetration in the gel after going though several layers of clothing and good expansion before it can be considered a good defensive ammo for self defense.
RELH

Last edited:

In the 90s, I was in a position within the Navy to recommend which types of gear USN pilots would use. Helmet mounted cuing systems, improvements in G-suits, etc. This also included weapons they were allowed to carry. So, USN sent me off to listen to Dr. Fackler speak. Interesting guy and very personable. And insistent on two things; shot placement and permanent wound cavity, with max penetration.

It is possible for a projectile to create a temporary wound cavity such that the tissue disrupted sorta folds back into place. This is likely part of the reason why some folks can be shot multiple times and still do damage. A permanent wound cavity destroys tissue. Hitting the right nerve or nerve bundle stops things from happening.

Some of you may remember the Miami shootout of 1986. The following is from a Wiki report of that shootout.

"Platt took up position by the passenger side front fender of the Cutlass. He fired a .357 Magnum revolver at agents Ronald Risner and Gilbert Orrantia, and was shot a fourth time when turning to fire at Hanlon, Dove, and Grogan. The bullet, fired by Orrantia's revolver, penetrated Platt's right forearm, fractured the radius bone and exited the forearm. This wound caused Platt to drop his revolver.[14] It is estimated that Platt was shot a fifth time shortly afterwards, this time by Risner. The bullet penetrated Platt's right upper arm, exited below the armpit and entered his torso, stopping below his shoulder blade. The wound was not serious.[15]

Platt fired one round from his Ruger Mini-14 at Risner’s and Orrantia's position, wounding Orrantia with shrapnel created by the bullet's passage, and two rounds at McNeill. One round hit McNeill in the neck, causing him to collapse and leaving him paralyzed for several hours. Platt then apparently positioned the Mini-14 against his shoulder using his uninjured left hand.[16]

Hanlon fired at Platt and was shot in the hand while reloading. Grogan and Dove were kneeling alongside the driver’s side of their car. Both were preoccupied with getting Dove's weapon working and did not detect that Platt was aggressively advancing upon them. Platt rounded the rear of their car and killed Grogan with a shot to the chest, shot Hanlon in the groin area, and then killed Dove with two shots to the head. Platt then entered the Grogan/Dove car in an apparent attempt to flee the scene.[17] As Platt entered Grogan and Dove's car, Mireles, able to use only one arm, fired the first of five rounds from his pump-action shotgun, wounding Platt in both feet.[8] At an unknown time, Matix had regained consciousness and he joined Platt in the car, entering via the passenger door. Mireles fired four more rounds at Platt and Matix, but hit neither.[18]

Around this time, Metro-Dade police officers Rick Frye, Leonard Figueroa and Martin Heckman arrived. Heckman covered McNeill's paralyzed body with his own.[19] Frye assisted Hanlon.[20]

Platt's actions at this moment in the fight have been debated. A civilian witness described Platt leaving the car, walking almost 20 feet and firing at Mireles three times at close range. Mireles does not remember this happening. Officer Heckman does not remember Platt leaving the Grogan/Dove car. Risner and Orrantia, observing from the other side of the street, stated that they did not see Platt leave the car and fire at Mireles.[21] However, it is known for certain that Platt pulled Matix's Dan Wesson revolver at some point and fired three rounds.[16][22]

Platt attempted to start the Grogan/Dove car. Mireles drew his .357 Magnum revolver, moved parallel to the street and then directly toward Platt and Matix. Mireles fired six rounds at the suspects. The first round missed, hitting the back of the front seat. The second hit the driver's side window post and fragmented, with one small piece hitting Platt in the scalp. The third hit Matix in the face, and fragmented in two, with neither piece causing a serious wound. The fourth hit Matix in the face next to his right eye socket, traveled downward through the facial bones into the neck, where it entered the spinal column and severed the spinal cord. The fifth hit Matix in the face, penetrated the jaw bone and neck and came to rest by the spinal column.[23] Mireles reached the driver's side door, extended his revolver through the window, and fired his sixth shot at Platt. The bullet penetrated Platt's chest and bruised the spinal cord, ending the gunfight.[24]

The shootout involved 10 people; two suspects and eight FBI agents. Of the 10, only one, Special Agent Manauzzi, did not fire any shots (his firearm was thrown from the car in the initial collision), while only one, Special Agent Risner, was able to emerge from the battle without a wound. The incident lasted under five minutes yet approximately 145 shots were exchanged.[8][25]

Toxicology tests showed that the abilities of Platt and Matix to fight through multiple traumatic gunshot wounds and continue to battle and attempt to escape were not achieved through any chemical means. Both of their bodies were drug-free at the time of their deaths.[26]"

If I recall Dr. Facklers comments correctly, he said that both Matix and Platt had what many consider to be (eventurally) unsurvivable wounds, but only got taken out of the fight with a neural hit.

Post note: in the end, USN didn't officially recommend any weapon, but most of us on the panel suggested use of a .22 or .22magnum semi auto. The gun would not be useful against a squad of enemy soldiers and was most likely going to be used to quiet the farmer's dog or be a game getter. I and one other guy suggested use of a suppressor, but got little in the way of support.

Last edited:
Eel, I have two handguns that I use as my primary concealed carry. First is a Colt Defender in 45 ACP and a Springfield Armory EMT in 9 mm. The Springfield is a smaller version of the 1911 Colt.
I use Federal HST 230 gr. ammo in the Colt Defender and Federal HST 124 Gr. in the 9mm EMT.

In the 90s, I was in a position within the Navy to recommend which types of gear USN pilots would use. Helmet mounted cuing systems, improvements in G-suits, etc. This also included weapons they were allowed to carry. So, USN sent me off to listen to Dr. Fackler speak. Interesting guy and very personable. And insistent on two things; shot placement and permanent wound cavity, with max penetration.

It is possible for a projectile to create a temporary wound cavity such that the tissue disrupted sorta folds back into place. This is likely part of the reason why some folks can be shot multiple times and still do damage. A permanent wound cavity destroys tissue. Hitting the right nerve or nerve bundle stops things from happening.

Some of you may remember the Miami shootout of 1986. The following is from a Wiki report of that shootout.

"Platt took up position by the passenger side front fender of the Cutlass. He fired a .357 Magnum revolver at agents Ronald Risner and Gilbert Orrantia, and was shot a fourth time when turning to fire at Hanlon, Dove, and Grogan. The bullet, fired by Orrantia's revolver, penetrated Platt's right forearm, fractured the radius bone and exited the forearm. This wound caused Platt to drop his revolver.[14] It is estimated that Platt was shot a fifth time shortly afterwards, this time by Risner. The bullet penetrated Platt's right upper arm, exited below the armpit and entered his torso, stopping below his shoulder blade. The wound was not serious.[15]

Platt fired one round from his Ruger Mini-14 at Risner’s and Orrantia's position, wounding Orrantia with shrapnel created by the bullet's passage, and two rounds at McNeill. One round hit McNeill in the neck, causing him to collapse and leaving him paralyzed for several hours. Platt then apparently positioned the Mini-14 against his shoulder using his uninjured left hand.[16]

Hanlon fired at Platt and was shot in the hand while reloading. Grogan and Dove were kneeling alongside the driver’s side of their car. Both were preoccupied with getting Dove's weapon working and did not detect that Platt was aggressively advancing upon them. Platt rounded the rear of their car and killed Grogan with a shot to the chest, shot Hanlon in the groin area, and then killed Dove with two shots to the head. Platt then entered the Grogan/Dove car in an apparent attempt to flee the scene.[17] As Platt entered Grogan and Dove's car, Mireles, able to use only one arm, fired the first of five rounds from his pump-action shotgun, wounding Platt in both feet.[8] At an unknown time, Matix had regained consciousness and he joined Platt in the car, entering via the passenger door. Mireles fired four more rounds at Platt and Matix, but hit neither.[18]

Around this time, Metro-Dade police officers Rick Frye, Leonard Figueroa and Martin Heckman arrived. Heckman covered McNeill's paralyzed body with his own.[19] Frye assisted Hanlon.[20]

Platt's actions at this moment in the fight have been debated. A civilian witness described Platt leaving the car, walking almost 20 feet and firing at Mireles three times at close range. Mireles does not remember this happening. Officer Heckman does not remember Platt leaving the Grogan/Dove car. Risner and Orrantia, observing from the other side of the street, stated that they did not see Platt leave the car and fire at Mireles.[21] However, it is known for certain that Platt pulled Matix's Dan Wesson revolver at some point and fired three rounds.[16][22]

Platt attempted to start the Grogan/Dove car. Mireles drew his .357 Magnum revolver, moved parallel to the street and then directly toward Platt and Matix. Mireles fired six rounds at the suspects. The first round missed, hitting the back of the front seat. The second hit the driver's side window post and fragmented, with one small piece hitting Platt in the scalp. The third hit Matix in the face, and fragmented in two, with neither piece causing a serious wound. The fourth hit Matix in the face next to his right eye socket, traveled downward through the facial bones into the neck, where it entered the spinal column and severed the spinal cord. The fifth hit Matix in the face, penetrated the jaw bone and neck and came to rest by the spinal column.[23] Mireles reached the driver's side door, extended his revolver through the window, and fired his sixth shot at Platt. The bullet penetrated Platt's chest and bruised the spinal cord, ending the gunfight.[24]

The shootout involved 10 people; two suspects and eight FBI agents. Of the 10, only one, Special Agent Manauzzi, did not fire any shots (his firearm was thrown from the car in the initial collision), while only one, Special Agent Risner, was able to emerge from the battle without a wound. The incident lasted under five minutes yet approximately 145 shots were exchanged.[8][25]

Toxicology tests showed that the abilities of Platt and Matix to fight through multiple traumatic gunshot wounds and continue to battle and attempt to escape were not achieved through any chemical means. Both of their bodies were drug-free at the time of their deaths.[26]"

If I recall Dr. Facklers comments correctly, he said that both Matix and Platt had what many consider to be (eventurally) unsurvivable wounds, but only got taken out of the fight with a neural hit.

Post note: in the end, USN didn't officially recommend any weapon, but most of us on the panel suggested use of a .22 or .22magnum semi auto. The gun would not be useful against a squad of enemy soldiers and was most likely going to be used to quiet the farmer's dog or be a game getter. I and one other guy suggested use of a suppressor, but got little in the way of support.
Amazing stuff can't believe how many shots it took to take them down.

I can also tell you I would much rather have a 12 ga. or a .308 than a pistol in a shootout. Long weapons will triumph over a handgun with alarming consistency.

Most informative post I've seen here in a long time. Thank you to those who have real life experience and knowledge.

I believe those who say shot placement is more important than what caliber you are shooting are spot on. Having a hand cannon you can't shoot accurately is nothing more than carrying an embarrassingly heavy paper weight. I also believe having the ability to keep our heads clear in a situation is far harder than anything. I carry nearly all the time any more. I have never had to use my gun. I hope that day never comes, but if it does I hope more than anything I dont freeze up or lose my sh!t. We have all played cops and robbers or cowboys but until we are actually in that life or death situation we don't know how well we will do.

Carry a gun you can shoot well, follow the advice of those who know what ammo works best, practice a lot and remain aware of your surroundings in every situation.

My inexperienced 2 cents.

I have chosen to use my gun in self defense two times.

The first was in very, very rural Wyoming in the early 70s. Dude came at me with my own axe that he had stolen out of the back of my Jeep. No billed via the country sheriff. This was long before the Tueller drill was even thought about. Search for 'George Tueller'; he was a SGT with the SLC PD.

The other ended without harm, although I did call the cops because I displayed my weapon. Strangely, the cop told me 'you should have shot him'. (he came at me with a shovel raised above his head) but stopped when he realized I had a Kimber in my hand. No report made.

I will divert here and ask if any of you remember a scene in TOP GUN where Maverick breaks the 10,000 ft. 'hard deck'. That numerical limit is real. We were taught that IF we were in out of control flight below 10,000 ft. (or less) above the dirt, that we were to pull the ejection handle. No exceptions; big Navy can buy another jet. That rule is set up to save lives.

To those of you who understand the parameters of the Tueller Drill, maybe you will understand that one could (should???) set limits such as that (hence the 10,000 hard deck rule) in order to preserve the precious time it takes to make the decision to draw (or not) and preserve life. The shovel dude above was about 12' away when he stopped. IOW, perhaps you should decide now the conditions under which you will draw your weapon.

I emphasized a couple of things when I taught CCW. 1. Be accurate. 2. Practice presenting your weapon. (for obvious reasons, do it unloaded) It makes no sense at all to be proficient at shooting when you fumble presenting the weapon out of the holster. Remember, the bad guy with a weapon can likely cover 21 feet in about 1.5 seconds.

It makes absolutely no sense to do nothing more than qual for your CCW every 5 years with no accompanying practice. Yea, you may be current, but being current alone does not = proficiency and does not necessarily = being safe.

I agree with the cop, you had every right to shoot him at the distance of 12" as he could have been on top of you in less then a second and if you got off a shot, it may have not stopped him from delivering a fatal blow to your head.
I taught officers if armed with a knife and he advances shoot to stop at 10 yards and never less then 7 yards as he can get a stab or slash into your body if the bullet fails to stop him. 10 yards gives you a chance of getting a second bullet into him for better stopping power.
When I retired from the dept. we were training using the "zipper" in rapid fire. First shot into mid section, second in upper chest, and if still standing third shot into head in the event he may be wearing a bullet resistance vest under his clothing.
RELH

This article has some pretty good info.

Interesting that you would mention 'zipper'. A few years ago, there was a family squabble in a nearby town. The fight escalated to involve an ass whoopin'. The guy who got the ass whoopin' found the other family at a bar and shot 2 or three of them. Guy setting at the bar did nothing....until the shooter had to re-load, then zippered him from appendix to throat.

Regarding the 12' guy above, he had a green dot on his chest and dropped the shovel and ran. Threat gone. On a side note, both he and his son were working off bail money by shoveling snow. The lawyer who hired them was extremely apologetic; not his fault. Cop told me I could leave and started talking to the lawyer.

Good article Dryflyelk. Thanks for that.

I've never had to use it but I'm convinced it saved my life one time just by showing it. Pretty cheap insurance.

I used to open carry while backpacking in the Wilderness. I had a hippie ask my why I carried a gun? I told him I carry so I can kill anything that needs killing. No other reason.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom