Hang Fires?

High5

What is the cause of a hang fire, Powder? Primer?
Went to the range today to shoot my 209 converted Remington 700 ML. Using BH 209, CCI 209M's and Powerbelts 338 Platimums.
Best three shot group was 1.12(90 gr), Ok group but on shot 9 and probably 15 I had hang fires, breech plug & primer holder had alot of black crud on it when I cleaned it,even on the threads.
I know BH 209 is difficult to ignite, do I need a hotter primer? I've read that Winchester 209 work good with BH 209 but none of the local sporting goods stores stock them and with the hazard shipping fee I'm not willing to order any. I think tommorrow I'll try 777 powder.
I'm also considering purchasing a new Accura.....because of all the good reviews and info posted lately.

i dont think you can get much hotter than the cci 209M. That is some great shooting for the first time out with that load.

A lot of people suggest cleaning the breech plug after 10 shots. Use a small drill bit that fits the flash channel and cut the carbon build up out.

Accura is an awesome shooter. I finally got my perfect pet load for her with the Powerbelt. Over the next few days i'll be shooting 200gr & 250gr Lehigh bullets over 150gr pyrodex rs, 250gr Noslers and 300gr XTP's.

I've had a couple of hangfires and started cleaning the crap out of the breachplug with pipe cleaners.. they work great at getting all the buildup out of there.

I have had great success with the Win 209A primer and the Federal 209 primer. If I had issues with ignition, I would definately look at the Fed as its the hottest.

I have shot 30 plus shots with bh209 and not had any hang fires. The only thing I can think is what the others have mentioned about cleaning the ignition channel. I would also recommend against 777. It is a good powder for velocities and can be very accurate, but is very dirty and requires swabbing between shots to maintain accuracy and ease of loading. I really don't think you can go wrong with bh209.

Try this, When you take the gun out to shoot and it is clean. Run a dry clean patch down the barrel in your jag. Fire a couple of primers into the patch. Notice if they are burnt. I am thinking that if you lube the gun and then put it away the oil collects in the breech. If you don't clean it out and you put a charge on top of that oil it will cause a gummy mess. Give it a try.
Ron

htnbambi,
The Federals did the trick, No more hang or miss fires. But.....the point of impact raised 10", caused a 7" group and increased back pressure so much I could barely work the bolt after 3 shots.
I was warned that the Remington 209 conversion was not recommended for BH 209 and I've learned my lesson....I'm back to using 777, which shoots well also.
Thanks for the input guys...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom