Hang-Fires

tex270

Just got my first muzzleloader about 3 months ago. It is a H&R huntsman, 50 cal. inline, 209 primer in a plastic carrier.During first firings, I had about 4 out of 20 or so shots, that would delay fire, simular to a flintlock. I thought I didn't quite seat the bullets good enough? Then took it out hunting this past weekend, and missed a nice buck. First shot, just primer popped. I took rod out, tried to seat bullet better. Put in another primer, and squeezed off again. This time it fired, but just like a flint lock, delay from primer to actual shot. I am shooting 2- 50gr. tripple 7 pellets, 250 gr sabot and Winchester 209 777 primers. I have cleaned it very good, at every 8 or so shots. I am VERY ignorant of muzzleloaders, and cannot figure this out. Any one have any suggestions?

I have never seen an H&R but first thing id check is the breech plug if it has one. Id make sure its clean and clear. Also I like a hotter primer in my muzzleloader. I use CCI 209M.

Sound like a dirty or fouled breech plug to me. Should clean it frequently and the gun will determine the frequency. I clean mine after every 2-3 shots.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I MAY agree that changing primers will help...but you have a problem there. I don't think that it is related to the bullet being down far enough. I believe that your spark channel is clogged. If your channel was clear, you could use a regular cap and it would set it off. The WEAKEST 209 primer has a significantly hotter and a significantly larger spark than a standard cap....your spark taint getting thru.

ON a standard ML, standard cap will push a spark around a corner and then about 1/2" down a channel and ignite Pyrodex,,,most of the time. An inline (which you have, a primer in the end of the bbl) w/a standard cap has real good ignition. I'm pretty sure that a 209 will throw a spark inches...I'm assuming that your powder is not inches away from the flash hole. An inline w/a 209 should not misfire. Tis doubtful that your primers are a problem.

Pull everything on the back side of the gun (that H&R says can be pulled) clean it and re-install.
John 14:6

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was all set to go and get some hotter primers, till the last post. I have only shot it about 30 time. Cleaned it throughly 4 times. Removing breechplug, and all. Before taking it hunting, I cleaned very good, then shot it one time. The hole in the breechplug, looks to be about 1/16". After every shot, I look trough it, and blow trough it also. After deer season is bout over with, I will do some more target practice, and see what happens. Has anyone ever drilled the flash hole out a little?

This is a pattern i see on the forums lately. A guy on another forum just popped up with the same issue using T7 pellets and the 777 primers. His CVA Wolf started to hang fire on him. The 777 primers are a very cool " temp wise" primer and the T7 pellets can be hard to ignite under cold or wet conditions. Pyrodex Pellets are a lot more forgiving as they have a ring of black powder around the base of the pellet for easy ignition.

www.FrontierMuzzleloadin.powerguild.net

Try these steps 1)place the gun in the garage the night before.2)before loading fire 2 primers then load. 3)Pitch the pellets and go to loose 777, better ignition thus better accuracy. I never load a cleaned gun without firing 2 primers 1st. If hunting that day and no shots are taken then pull the primer and leave the gun in the garage (temp. extremes can cause misfires)DO NOT TAKE IN THE HOUSE!!!! IMHO it is not what you load (except for the pellets)it's how you load. NOTE: whenever you have a misfire MAKE SURE to re seat the bullet before re priming. 209 primers will push the powder and bullet forward,if you don't re seat and it happens again then you are slowly creating a PIPE BOMB. If unclear on any of this you can call me 440-787-5806. I'm, in Ohio.

Do you get the delayed fires only right after cleaning or are they at a various #'s of shots after cleaning. If it's only after cleaning I'd say shoot a primer only before loading and that should do it. I've seen this before with somebody that used a lot of oil when cleaning, when the gun was dirty it would work flawlessly. I use hornady sabots, 150 grains of 777 and winchester 209 primers and havn't had this happen to me. Good luck.

No it's not right after cleaning. After cleaning, I would pop a primer trough it. I think it's a problem with the flash hole? After deer season I will sit down and try some of suggestions here. Also going to get pound of 209 and try that. A big thanks to everyones advice. at least gives me some things to try.

I have Knight, TC and CVA, the Breech Plug in the CVA is best if the breech plug is altered, I have a guy that does these for me, it puts the primer closer to the Powder, contact me if interested. I also use Loose FFF Black Powder and have never had a misfire.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom