Hangfires in my LRH

txhunter58

Long Time Member
Have tried both the FPJ and the NFPJ breech plugs with my new Knight LRH and Blackhorn 209. Using both Rem STS and CCI 209M primers I got some hangfires on both breech plugs.

Yesterday I went and shot about 15 times and got a couple of hangfires. Overnight I left the barrel alone, but removed and cleaned the breechplug by soaking in Hoppes, then drilling out the rear fire channel with a 1/8 drill and cleaning out the front hole with a nipple pick. I shot another 12 times today using only the FPJ and STS primers and had 3 definate hangfires. Hopefully this is just a cleaing issue and I will be sure I do a extra job on the breechplug this time and try again later in the week.

I was shooting both Hornady FPB's and Thor bullets. Both made a tight fit and the hangfires were less than 1/2 a second.

Any other ideas or is anyone else having these problems.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Unfortunately, I will be leaving in September for Colorado, so sabots are not a possibility. However, both the FPB's and the Thor's were very tight fitting and I applied quite a bit of pressure seating them.

The thors did great. I shot two groups at 100 yards. One was 2 & 1/2 inches and the other was 3 & 1/2 inches. They were the 0.503's

txhunter58

Have you tried Federal primers?
That's what worked for me when I was having issues with my Remington ML.

CCI 209M primers are supposed to be the hottest out there, and I did try those

txhunter58

I have been getting a few hangfires using my new Accura, BH 209 and CCI 209M primers also. They don't happen very often but it is in the back of my mind every time I squeeze the trigger. I haven't tried any other primers yet. My best luck has been with the Hornady FPB. I think one of my hang fires was caused by the bullet not being seated all the way and one was maybe caused when I noticed that my breach plug had become a little to loose but I still get one about every 6-10 shots. If anyone out there has had any better luck with a different primer please let us know.

txhunter;

Were you loading with the ramrod that's in the rifle...or using one of the range/loading rods?

When I load with BH209...I push the bullet down solidly on the powder...then put a lean on the rod and give it a 60-70 pound nudge to insure the powder is under compression.

I shoot the LRH with the bare primer conversion...and have not had a single hangfire during the last 3,300 plus rounds through the rifle.

Toby

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-09 AT 04:22PM (MST)[p]

I am loading with a ramrod that has a retractable "T" handle, so I am putting quite a bit of pressure on the bullet when I seat it. Probably 50 lbs plus. So I don't think pressure is the issue. And it also happened with the 0.503 Thors that seal even tighter than the Hornady FPB

I may have to try the bare primer breech plug again. I did get some hangfires there too though, but that was on its first outing (new). Will give that another try. I just figured the concave breechplug (FPJ) was my best chance at not gettting the hangfires.

At this point I think it has to be primer fouling in the breechplug, so I will make a concerted effort to keep this open and see what happens.

Also, did you occasionally have hangfires with the FPJ?

txhunter58

The only time I had BH209 hangfires with the FPJ was when using standard Winchester 209 and CCI 209 primers. As long as I used either CCI 209M or Remngton STS primers...ignition was spontaneous.

The manner in which the face of the primer is forced against a shoulder at the front of the primer pocket/chamber, I believe the Non FPJ actually puts more fire into the powder charge...by reducing how much comes rearward. There tends to be less primer fouling in the receiver and on the bolt face when the conversion is used...and that indicates that less fire is coming rearward.

Toby

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-09 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]I will use the bare primer breech plug next time I go out and see how it works. thanks

txhunter58

Cleaned out everything well and went back this week with my LRH. Used only the bare primer breech plug with 90 gr of Bh209 and a FPB. No misfires this time. Was getting 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 hards (open sights) so I feel good about my trip next month!

txhunter58

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom