Hanwag Cheyenne GTX Boot

MrKrabs

I'm seriously considering buying a pair of the Hanwag Cheyenne GTX Boot after reading Wade's review. What I'm looking for is a boot that is lighter and "stealthier" than my Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers for archery season. I still want the boot to hold up when I'm hopefully packing the new world record archery elk out or carrying a heavy pack with enough gear for a few days in the backcountry. Will these boots work for what I need?

Dusty at Lathrop and Sons said he hesitated to recommend them for anyone carrying a back more than 35#. Unless I down an elk I shouldn't be over that limit very often. Thoughts?

Wade hopefully you weigh in here I'd really like to hear what you think.

Ben

I called Lathrop maybe a month ago asking about those boots. I talked to Steve I think. His are 5 years old and going strong. We talked about fit, etc.

I'm buying them.

I think the thing that impressed me the most about Lathrops is Dusty recommended I not spend the extra money on the Gold system. He said since I didn't have a problem with the fit on an unmodified boot like my Kenetreks that I would probably be ok with just getting the Synergy footbeds. That kind of honesty is hard to beat.

I'm leaning towards getting these boots regardless if they'll work for early season elk hunting since I need to replace my North Face hikes anyway. The North Face are great, but provide very little ankle support and have started leaking after 4 years.

The guy told me to send in a foot bed from my Pronghorns and they could get the size right. I'm like a 12 1/2 so the metric sizing was a concern for me.

I think the Cheyennes will work for you as long as you are not expecting something as light and quiet as say the Lowa Renegade or Uplander because they are not. However, the Cheyennes are a sturdier more robust boot that will give you more structure and support.

I think the Cheyennes acheive a nice balance between the heavy duty boots and the light weight hikers. They have a very supportive lower/sole construction for that class of boot so I would not sweat the 35 lb load at all although to be correct, we should be looking at the total weight. What do you weigh and is a six inch upper high enough for you?

As for the Synergy insoles, I like them a lot. They are one of my favorite if not my favorite insole. They do a nice job of padding while not sucking up too much interior volume and they stay put. They do not have an extraordinary amount of instep/arch support though if that is an issue for you.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I'm currently about 240 lbs. If I have something like the Hardscrabble Hikers would you recommend as the next step down the Lowa Renegade or the Cheyennes for what I want to use them for? I'll be using which ever I get as my primary turkey hunting, summer hiking, and early season elk/deer boot.

I just recently bought a pair of Lowa Renegades. I'm about your size. They are a very comfortable boot. They seem to be a great boot for what they're intended. (light hiking) If you weigh 240 and want to strap on a medium weight pack, don't go with the Renegades. Get something a little heavier duty. I have the Lowa Renegades and Lowa Tibets. The Tibets will hanle anything that I can throw at them. If I had a boot that was in between these shoes, I'd probably wear them most of the time.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-10 AT 01:55PM (MST)[p]Mr. K

With your weight and the additional weight of the pack I would not do much with the Renegades other than light hiking and sneaking around. I know guys that are running the heavier boots and switch to the Renegades for their stalk. They would work for the Turkey too as long as you are not having to do a big, hard, heavy walk in. They are good boots just, they jsut don't have the struture and support to do the tough stuff.

The Hanwag Cheyennes/Zamberlan Dakotas/Lowa Rangers would fit between the Renegades and the Kenetrek Hardscrabbles/Lowa Tibets/Hanwag Mountain Lites.

Make sense?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Yes it does. It sounds like the Renegades are similar to the North Face I have. They are comfortable for light hiking, but rough terrain isn't the place for them.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ben

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom