Hardest Archery Animal on the Planet?

MTQuivers

On another post everyone kind of got off subject and this question came up so I am posting this to start a new discussion. IN YOUR OPPINION What is the Hardest North American animal to take with a bow and arrow?????

I saw Chuck Adams up at Cabelas one day at a book signing and I asked him about which animal was the toughest one to take with a bow for the Super Slam. I was expecting him to say Stone Sheep or coues deer or something like that and he said without question a trophy Mule Deer. I asked him why and he said there is no advantage to hunting a big muley with a bow. Sometimes they can be hunted in the rut which helps but because of the terrain many of them live this can still be a major challenge. Coues deer can be hunted over water quite successfully, he said he killed 3 of the 4 sheep species on the first day of the hunt and said they get little hunting pressure and are quite easy to shoot with a bow. Elk and whitetail can be called in frequently. Also whitetails can be patterned in treestands easier than a big mule deer.
There are some exceptions to this like farmland Muleys that act more like a whitetail but I think he was mostly referring to a high elevation public land mule deer.

I have personally taken 7 different Big Game species with a bow (so far) and I plan on taking as many of the 28 species as possible. I am going for coues deer in Mexico in January and I just want to hear some other opinions on Tough animals to kill with a bow.

So lets hear it...Which animal is tough to put an arrow through??????

Jason Yates
Basin Archery Shop
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!!!
Discount code = monstermuleys

i would have to say Barbary Sheep they are some tough little critters, you cant really pattern them and the terrain they live in can be rough

When I'm not out hunting or working I watch a lot of outdoor hunting shows and most of the guys on there will tell you a trophy mule deer is the hardest for the same reasons chuck adams said. I believe it.

Coes Deer are hard but the rut helps and they usually find their favorite doe and it will just be the two of them. But a top end mule deer that is 5 years plus in the high country are the toughest in my book. They very rarely show themselves and when they do they usually have a couple of 3-4 year olds with them. I am yet to try the Ibex on the Florida's but I sure from the look of the country and what I have heard they have to be extremely tough as well.

So here is my list:
1. Trophy Mule Deer
2. New Mexico Ibex
3. Coes Deer

Take out more than you brought in!

If we are talking true exceptional trophies of a species then

1-mulie
2-whitetail (the world record too 98 years to break)
3- Coues deer (chuck Adams broke this 10 years ago)

I've hunted big game for 44 years now and haven't even seen a bigfoot yet so I'd have to say bigfoot.

I'd have to agree with most that a big mulie buck is very tough to get especially with a bow I would imagine. Just a thought, but I would think a moutain lion with a bow using spot and stalk methods would be very difficult. Mainly because I never see them unless they are in a tree with hounds at the bottom. But then again maybe there are parts of this country where they are more prevelant and it wouldnt be too difficult to harvest spot and stalk style with a bow.

I saw one professional hunter say a mule deer doe is the hardest to kill with primitive archery equipment because they are so astute and so often in groups.

I think due to current buck/doe ratios, a large mulie with a bow is as close to impossible as there is today.

Grizzly

This would be a good question for Roy.

Big mature pre rut mule deer have very few weaknesses, that's for sure. Same with mature blacktails.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-09 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]Great question and fun topic Jason. Simple answer for me, I just don't know. I have heard that a TROPHY coues deer is extremely difficult to take with a bow. Thats one I hope to find out for myself here pretty quick. And I think for every person it's going to be different. Some guys consistantly slam 165"+ muleys but have a tough time with whitetail. Others smoke alot of 140"+ white-tail but struggle with muleys. Some guys punch their tags on elk every year but have a hard time harvesting a 70" antelope...and so on. Again, I think it all comes down to what species we have the most time and opportunity to hunt. For me, my ultimate trophy with a bow would be a Grizzly or a Coastal Brown simply because to be within legitimate bow-range of one of these animals would try my nerves! Hopefully we'll see someday! Anyway, fun topic and good post

I tip my hat to any archer that has a successful mountain goat hunt. They live in the toughest terrain on the continent and getting within bow range is pretty damn impressive in my mind.

I would say whitetail...here is a small one i killed while out taking a dump last season. What do you think he scores?

muleyman

4ad937ed605a2964.jpg

just kidding...

i would say (agreeing with tabby)the mule deer also. i have hunted these critters for many years mainly archery and some rifle. the biggest i have killed were during archery. here is one I killed a few yrs ago on public land in oregon at only 8yrds! 3 weeks of hard work paid off! 8X9 non-typical just under 32"

muleyman

4ad939af693a4562.jpg

I would think a wolf. I see a lot of trophy archery mule deer on this site, I have never seen anyone post a picture of an archery wolf.

To put in perspective a little, take the wasatch extended unit, how many of us go out and see a true trophy mulie but actually harvest one? The unit produces exceptional trophies every year but when you look at how many hunt it that makes it a very small percentage. That's why I say trophy mulie is number 1. Impressive buck muleyman!

Coyotes are pretty hard w/ a bow..Lots of the little canines around but few people arrow them....

Imagine spot and stalk coyote hunting....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

but they are easy if you hunt them with a tennis racket standing over a feeder!

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

silly liberals, paychecks are for workers!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom