Has anyone used a Katadyn Base Camp Filter bag

BillyBoB

I'm looking for any input on what everyone uses for purification methods for their STORED water while camping.
The Katadyn base camp bag looks convenient for a base camp set up.
I recently watched a hunting video where a bag was used. No pumping etc. All you do is gather water and hang.

What's your thoughts?

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

A guy would have to consider temperatures. When and where I hunt it would freeze.

DZ

I almost posted the same question. I just got back from a 4 day trip. I was tired of pumping water. I was wondering if there was something out there like this. I'll be listening in on what everyone has to say.

Never used the bag but that's the brand name of my pump and I've had it a long time.

I love mine! We used it in the Gila wilderness last year on a 8 day hunt. Worked perfect! Filled up our bottles with it everyday. It beats pumping water every day!

I used one a few yrs back. We took some scouts on a 50 mile back pack trip from Mirror Lake to Moon Lake. We used it at camp every night. Worked great. No one got ill, the trip was a blast.

I used one on a 7 day caribou hunt in AK. Worked great. Once each day we filtered a bag full of water, filled our platypus hydration bags and stored the rest in a collapsible water jug. We had enough water for a day in one trip to the creek. Hung it on a tripod and let it do its thing while we made breakfast and lunch and loaded our packs for the day.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

I have used the same one for 4 years on my back country elk hunts. I have never been sick. Its time for a new filter though. My camp is uphill from the water source so the only sucky thing is hauling it back up the hill once its full. I wouldn't go where I go without one for how much easier it is than pumping.

I have used the version made by Platypus regularly. Works great, super convenient. Can't let it freeze hard, but same is true even for a pump. Works best from a base camp, but can even be used back packing. You need water at least 6 inches deep to fill it properly.
Bill

Works awesome, I use it for pack trips and back packing trips where I'm going to be in 1 camp for awhile(I mostly use chlorine drops when backpacking). Two small issues with the unit. 1st, The cleaner the water that goes into the bag the longer the filter lasts. We plugged a filter off once on a pack trip using it in a very slow moving stream with lots of sediment. The other small issue is the filter is about 1/2 the cost of a new unit when it does plug. Still its the best way to purify large amounts of water, at least that I've used.

Another alternative that allows you to skip all those steps is to simply put a Sawyer Mini filter on the drinking tube of your water bladder. Refill your bag straight out of a stream and you're done. The filter is small, weighs only 2 oz, and it's all I ever use anymore.

I have used it on three backpack trips. Well worth it, minimize debris that goes in the bag and try to find a shaded area to hang it in. I did have the filter freeze one trip in the morning but by noon it thawed out. Make sure you bring a pump filter to so you can purify while you are out hiking around.. Good luck!

>Another alternative that allows you to
>skip all those steps is
>to simply put a Sawyer
>Mini filter on the drinking
>tube of your water bladder.
>Refill your bag straight out
>of a stream and you're
>done. The filter is small,
>weighs only 2 oz, and
>it's all I ever use
>anymore.

I use a Sawyer filter to gravity feed my water.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom