Has the Stock Market bottomed?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I've been out for about two months now. I put my 401K into Treasury money market. I'm 60 and will need that money to supplement my SS after I retire. I want to retire in two or three years.

I know nobody has a crystal ball but there are some guys here who are a lot smarter than me. What are your thoughts?

Eel

'I'll keep my God, my freedom, my guns, and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-08 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]Who knows where the bottom is? Nobody, watch the markets they are wacky, up 400 down 800, some days there is a 800 to 900 point swing. President says free markets are good markets go up, president elect announces Treas. Sec. and the market goes up, real economic data comes out and the market sells in a frenzy.

If you need the money I would stay the heck out of the market unless you have a strong stomache to ride the roller coaster. Don't market time because that is almost a guarantee way to lose money.

Continue to play it safe and be thankful that you are in the position that you are and not watching your retirment melt away like alot of your peers.

Nemont

I feel for guys your age Eel. You wait this long to see it disappear. Wouldn't you like the last 8 years back?

I pretty much agree, I've got some money to invest but I'm not convinced we've seen the worst of it yet, and even if it doesn't get any worse how long will it last.

Bad part is until everyone decides to get back into the game it won't get better, but nobody wants back in until it looks like it's getting better, chicken or the egg.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-08 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]>I feel for guys your age
>Eel. You wait this
>long to see it disappear.
> Wouldn't you like the
>last 8 years back?

I know you hate Bush Zigga, but we have been living a charade for 20 years. It was bound to collapse.

JB

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-08 AT 00:08AM (MST)[p]Eel there are many economists that are looking at 6500-6800 as a possible bottom. I would keep your money exactly where it is for at least the next 2 years if not longer.

At 60, with the thought of retirement coming soon I would stay as conservative and protected as possible. Like so many other markets we may not know bottom until it has already come and passed.

Let me put it this way, the birds flocked up out in the middle are super-spookey, they're rolling at 1,000 yards away. Go hunt the coves til late afternoon and give the birds a couple of hours to settle down. You can try the flock in the middle now but you'll spend all day chasing them.

It's basically the same thing until these huge market fluctuations level off and the rolling 200 day average is back in positive territory there is no reason at all to be in this market. At your age I would imagine you would like to minimize risk so why be in the market at all? Stay safe!

I would highly recommend subscribing or listening to Bob Brinker. This guy has made me, but more importantly saved me a lot when I played the market.

My ignorant opinion is that we will continue to see a market looking for guidance. Expect horrible 4th quarter numbers, with no clear skies in the markets or real estate throughout 2009. Many unknown ills which plague the country will come to the table just days before Obama takes office.

We are seeing a culmination of massive layoffs, property foreclosures, and huge losses across all retail sectors. The loss of equity in property combined with diminished 401k will keep home buyers and business buyers on the sidelines for at least a year maybe two.

We are in for one hell of a horrible ride in the next 24 months. We both might be sculling ducks just for substinance. :)

FTW, thanks for the sage advise! We used to chase those big rafts of ducks out in the middle of San Luis Res., west of I-5 out of Los Banos. Just like the stock market, a guy can die out there when the wind comes up! I hear you loud and clear!

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-08 AT 11:10AM (MST)[p]I have been in the market for over 35 years and like the rest of you seen my 401k and other investments tank. I have always been very optimistic about our countries economy in the long term. For the first time in my adult like I don't feel that way. I have always believed that the free and open markets will solve financial problems....as painful as they may be. But now the politicians have gotten involved in the process and all bets are off. The good old boys in Washington don't seem to have a clue of what they are doing (my opinion is that they are making matters worse and it will last alot longer). Unless the new President begins to change the course he has set, things will get even worse. I'm not sure that the old saying "ride the market out" will work this time.

I would stringly consider putting your money back into mutual funds. Whe the market recovers you are going to miss out on a 30%+ gain if history replays itself, as it usually does. The way I see it in the next two years you are looking at 10-20% downside vs. 30%+ upside. If everything goes to zero you will be glad you know how to hunt and the money won't matter anyway.

>I would stringly consider putting your
>money back into mutual funds.
> Whe the market recovers
>you are going to miss
>out on a 30%+ gain
>if history replays itself, as
>it usually does. The
>way I see it in
>the next two years you
>are looking at 10-20% downside
>vs. 30%+ upside. If
>everything goes to zero you
>will be glad you know
>how to hunt and the
>money won't matter anyway.

Put 100K in and tell us which funds so we can keep track.

I wish I did have a spare 100K lying around. But I'll play.

20K- mxxix - $8.68/sh=2,304.1474 shares
20K- iaalx - $7.53/sh=2,656.0424 shares
20K- imncx - $5.88/sh=3,401.3605 shares
20K- vleox - $18.67/sh=1,071.2373 shares
20K- gfacx - $18.51/sh=1,080.4970 shares

I would probably ask my broker for advice, but these are the funds I would pick based on a few minutes of looking. They should be representative

Let's follow up on those "investments", if possible (I don't know how). That could prove to be interesting?

Thanks for your opinion. I hope you're right!

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

I have to agree with larbo, we're in a world economy now and we're not quite sure how it's going to play out. I can really see it in the ag economy, it used to be you could watch the Kansas wheat crop, Iowa corn crop and the Idaho spud market and get a feel as to how to plan your marketing strategy. not anymore what happens here in the US doesn't always matter at all we're in a world market and stocks and comodities are the same thing.

As China and other poor nations climb to a higher standard of living they're going to do it off the excess we used to enjoy, the oil market is proof of that, everything is different today . we are going into uncharted territory so be careful and don't be so sure history will repeat itself, we're making history as we speak.

Thanks WapitBob! That's great!

"we are going into uncharted territory so be careful and don't be so sure history will repeat itself, we're making history as we speak."

I think that's the bottom line, right there Hdude!

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-08 AT 01:51AM (MST)[p]That's it! WapitiBob you are the new guide! Smart move I think all of us would like to see what happens.

The biggest issue here is Eel's young age. NMlandman is correct that most successful traditional investors buy on panic and sell on market over-confidence. Perhaps a man not looking to retire, in his 40's or younger might be willing to take the risk for long-term reward.

If I were younger with "disposable income" I too would be hedging the market and picking up stock or fund shares at what would be considered bargain rates...basically gambling. If I win, I win, if I lose...oh well I still have 20 or 30 years to make it back.

However, performance trend lines are currently deceiving given the bull market of the last 7 years. Given the unique current global economic environment we are in uncharted waters leaving past performance trend lines outdated and outmoded. Afterall, we are in the midst of global recession, lame duck political change, 2 wars, a global banking crisis, and global instability.

Most judge their investments from their peak. This always leaves the question of peak return time horizon. So what is your time horizon until we see investments sustain their 2006 levels NMlandman? My uneducated guess would be 4-5 years at best 8-10 years at worst. In either case the market will be plagued by great fluctuations along the way.

This is simply not a safe environment for any individual looking to retire within a couple of years to jump into. It's best to be in the market when it can at least have sustain a positive 200 day average.

It's been my experience as a fellow sculler that when you look over big water under heavy weather, it's always better to stand on shore and wish you were out there. Than it is being out there and wishing you were on shore.

Follow my earlier advice, Brinker's newsletter is quite informative and affordable. Go to Morningstar.com and Fool.com to follow the market, then find a reputable proven financial advisor to assist you when feel comforatable about getting back into the market.

One thing to remember about most market investors who are your buddies. Have you ever noticed they always call and tell you when they make money? They never seem to call and tell you about how much they lost. You only hear that story after a couple of drinks.

FTW, thanks again.

When I "pulled" my money out and put it in Treasuries, I kind of felt like I was playing "Deal or No Deal". LOL!

DEAL, Howie!

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom