Have up to $800.00 to spend. Help

StickFlinger

I have up to $800.00 to spend on a new pair of Binos. What should I get? I would like at least 10 power but would perfer 12. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stickflinger

Don't get cabela's euro's. I will probably get hate mail for saying that but I ordered a pair online after hearing rave reviews and returned them after a season of use (thank you cabela's for taking them back!) They caused serious eye fatigue and diopter rotates so freely that i had to use electrical tape to keep it in place. Furthermore edge to edge clarity isn't very good and it is difficult to focus precisely at long ranges. The good part thing about them is the cabela's warranty and their excellent light gathering quality. Maybe i just had a bad pair but I'd advise on something else if you plan on glassing a lot. I got Leica ultravids with the trade-in and they are incredible. Save your $$ and buy the best glass you can!

PS, talk to doug at cameraland. He is a great guy who has helped me out. Check out his demo models that he has. Pretty good savings on like-new products.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-07 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]IMHO, 12x is too much if you plan to hand hold them. I'd suggest you keep your eyes open for used Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC, Swarovski 10x42 SLC, or Leica 10x42 BA/BN. If you're patient, you'll find one for less than $800.00, and judging from my own past experiences, if you buy anything less than the big four (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, or Nikon LXL's), I'll bet you'll regret it down the road....

I love my euros, but I haven't hunted with them yet. I have no complaints after several days of glassing with them though. I have heard of several bad pairs that needed to be returned, but they seem to be the exception and cabelas is great about returns. Meopta has been around since WWII and they did a great job on these glasses for Cabelas. Bottom line, try any glass out before you buy to see what fits your eyes best.

Andy

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-07 AT 10:47PM (MST) by kilowatt (moderator)[p]Dont get 12 power for an only pair of bino's too much for hand held. I much prefer 8's over 10's if you also have a spotting scope. Look on e-bay you can buy some good glass in your price range look at some of the old leica's "Leitz" these are much smaller than all of the new model's and are some very good glass. If interested I have a pair of the newer Leica 8x50's that I would let go for $800. $1200 new these are in very good shape.

My buddy has Cabelas Euros and I have Leica Ultravids. Mine might be just a tiny bit more crisp, but not by much at all. Definitely not $800-900 better. In your price range I think the Cabelas Euros are awesome. Try a pair. With their warranty you can always return them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom