Have you bought into the hype?

hossblur

Long Time Member
It's not specific to a single source. I, like everyone sees the same commercials. Dude up in the morning before dark, music in the background, slow mo of tying boots, or zipping the jacket, climbing into the stand, snip of a hike, always scaling a pile rocks, etc, etc, etc.

Ive hunted my whole life(3.5 yrs old first deer hunt). Tying boots, putting on a jacket, hiking, is just part of it.

But even I get sucked into the "drama" of the commercials a little. I read a lot about guys "coming out west" to hunt, and it seems they are overwhelmed by what gear they need, more than where to go.

Is the drama and "machoness" of these adds aimed at us, the lifetime hunter, or to new folks?

Aimed at the younger generation. My son, for example, watches all those hunting x-casts, shows, etc. He's a fine young man, but of course he views hunting a little differently than I do. Just as I viewed it differently from my dad. I don't think it's a bad thing (even if some aspects are hard to swallow).

Technology changes the way we think, whether we like it or not. Hell, public plumbing, telephones, and radio changed an entire generation. Then the internet. And now social media.

I would also say that there are far more people growing up in an urban bubble than when we were kids. When they discover the great outdoors, it's very novel and intriguing. I think many discover it through technology, believe it or not...

For myself, moving here from back east it was definitely an adjustment. I was a little overwhelmed with the gear & preparation that goes into hunting here in the west.
I was used to parking the truck, walking 300 yards to my stand with nothing but a thermos of coffee, flashlight & a knife.
Here… I bet I dropped over 5K on gear for my first mule deer hunt. Each time I went scouting, I would pack in a few gallons of water just for the “what if” factor of being 100 miles away from the nearest anything. It is definitely different, but I have adapted & honestly enjoy the preparation just as much as the actual hunt.

What is the best camo pattern?? I leave this Friday for Colorado…

Answer: the one on sale! I buy for what the garment is made of, never paid extra for a certain camo or brand. I still hunt in red/ black plaid cotton shirts!

That said when I was young and broke I bought “cheap” stuff. From socks, long Johns to boots to rain gear. DONT DO THAT!

If you have good socks/ boots/long Johns, and rain gear you can fill in with other cheaper garments. But don’t skimp on those. Yes, you can “make do” for a few years but buy one quality thing per year.

Everyone says the cliche “cotton kills”. But that is only true in my experience for socks and long Johns. Never hunt in those in cotton. As long as you dont do cotton for those, and have good rain gear, jeans and a flannel shirt do real well.

All marketing hype. First few years out west was overwhelming. After about 5yrs the focus got narrowed with a lot less bs. Hunting vehicle, good optics, carhart, redwing boots, and a rifle that'll shoot 400 yards.

It's all a marketing ploy.
Selling all the "necessary gear".
I grew up when the wildest thing on TV was Mutual of Omaha's
Wild Kingdom. There were no hunting shows, Cabelas or Kuiu.
You just made do with whatever you could find. There was no one
to "follow", except my Grandaddy. We had our own style, not copied from some Youtuber or Podcaster. We didnt need any encouragement to hunt because thats just who we were. It was in us from inception. We didnt care what anybody thought about us.
We didnt need for anybody to even know we hunted or what we killed.
Now it's all about money, recognition, Ego and likes. It's a competition.

I noticed my own stuff.

I wear the same pair of boots 7 days a week.

Keens. $140

My hunting boots are Crispi, that I wear maybe 30 days a year. Cost double that, on clearance

It is amazing when I stop and think about my own gear, how much I spent vs the gear I use daily

I hunted in jeans, Pendleton wool shirts, Redwing boots, and cowskin gloves for the first 10 years of hunting life. But "technology" brought along much more comfortable clothing- less restrictive, less bulky, less weight, better insulation. Of course, I hike a lot when I hunt- so that may be a factor.

Oh- and I use Keen boots for all off-trail adventures!

I Remember When A Red Flannel Shirt & Blue Jeans Was Worn a Day or Two before Season & Worn PROUDLY!

Now We've Got Niller SPORTIN His HIGH DOLLAR CAMO LOIN CLOTH that I Don't Wanna See!

Oh But By GOOD GAWD A Mighty Don't Try Taking it From Him!
Why in the hell would you even mention the thought of taking a loin cloth away from a grown man? Leave it on for hell's sake and donate a pair of your blue jeans and red flannel shirt while you're at it. :LOL:

When I was nine years old I would go bear hunting and the only thing I would take with me was my Dads Buck 110 knife. I had to sneak it off his work belt when he came home every evening but by damn I knew I could kill and skin every bear on the mountain with that thing. Those bears are just lucky that I never ran into any of them.:oops:
and I didn't need no stinking bear tag either. :LOL:

I hunted in jeans, Pendleton wool shirts, Redwing boots, and cowskin gloves for the first 10 years of hunting life. But "technology" brought along much more comfortable clothing- less restrictive, less bulky, less weight, better insulation. Of course, I hike a lot when I hunt- so that may be a factor.

Oh- and I use Keen boots for all off-trail adventures!

Then damn hippies make a nice boot

Hunting in the rain forest of NW Kali. "I'm going hunting tomorrow" I tell my wife. She says "Wear some old clothes that you don't mind getting all bloody". I wear my Danner's and throw in a raincoat in case it rains and I'm gone.

Definitely for the group of guys/gals who will help sell the koolaid…
And I’m not drinking the koolaid, but there are a couple of those outlets that do it somewhat “tastefully”.
At my age, I’m kinda in the middle of this “transition”.
I’ll admit, I’ve upgraded my gear over the years, but I’m only buying sale, close out, or clearance items. Even boots (which I think is the most important thing, along with socks), I wait to find on sale.
But I started hunting with my Dad at a pretty young age in the Sawtooths along the Utah/Idaho border. Cold, brutal cold!!! But it was what it was… We tented it (not some wall tent with a heater), I don’t even remember having a sleeping bag? Pick your rock by the camp fire to bring with you to bed so you wouldn’t get hypothermia, seriously! I really don’t remember having a coat? It was jeans, flannels, tennis shoes. What were long John’s?
All that being said, and the tougher SOB it made me, I wouldn’t trade the new hunting gear I have for anything! I had to add to my attire slowly, even on sale, the chit is expensive, but I believe worth it!
All that being said, do you need that chit, no! Will it help you be more comfortable and stay in the field longer, I believe yes!
But, for the answer to the OP, it’s definitely geared towards the younger gen who will help spread/promote there products!

1661793496135.jpeg

Part of me wants to buy in... Some of the gear that is put out these days looks and feels pretty great. But I'm just not the kind of guy that wants to drop more than a couple hundred bucks on ALL of my hunting attire...

I noticed my own stuff.

I wear the same pair of boots 7 days a week.

Keens. $140

My hunting boots are Crispi, that I wear maybe 30 days a year. Cost double that, on clearance

It is amazing when I stop and think about my own gear, how much I spent vs the gear I use daily
its pretty silly when i add up what i have on me when i walk into the woods.

6 k into a rifle
2 k plus into binos
2 k into a spotter

so im sitting at 10 before i even start looking at the tent, clothes,boots, backpack,tripod, whatever.

does this make me a cool aid drinker or someone that puts their money into something they love? guess id be more of a real hunter if i spent that on beer and smokes all year but i don't.

I really do not care what anyone buys or what they use. If they want to buy more expensive gear, great. I have usually been on the cheap end of gear. I could never bring myself to buy it, even when I had the money.
I decided to upgrade most of my gear this year as I am going on a sheep. New pack, new clothing, rifle, scope optics. I certainly did not need all of it and my wife shakes her head a bit. However, the gear is actually been nice (what I have used so far) and I will use it for years. I do not need to justify it and yeah, I bought a few items (clothing) that I probably would not buy again as there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well.
People buy new trucks and I think they are out of their minds. To each their own I guess.....

Last edited:
Definitely for the group of guys/gals who will help sell the koolaid…
And I’m not drinking the koolaid, but there are a couple of those outlets that do it somewhat “tastefully”.
At my age, I’m kinda in the middle of this “transition”.
I’ll admit, I’ve upgraded my gear over the years, but I’m only buying sale, close out, or clearance items. Even boots (which I think is the most important thing, along with socks), I wait to find on sale.
But I started hunting with my Dad at a pretty young age in the Sawtooths along the Utah/Idaho border. Cold, brutal cold!!! But it was what it was… We tented it (not some wall tent with a heater), I don’t even remember having a sleeping bag? Pick your rock by the camp fire to bring with you to bed so you wouldn’t get hypothermia, seriously! I really don’t remember having a coat? It was jeans, flannels, tennis shoes. What were long John’s?
All that being said, and the tougher SOB it made me, I wouldn’t trade the new hunting gear I have for anything! I had to add to my attire slowly, even on sale, the chit is expensive, but I believe worth it!
All that being said, do you need that chit, no! Will it help you be more comfortable and stay in the field longer, I believe yes!
But, for the answer to the OP, it’s definitely geared towards the younger gen who will help spread/promote there products!
Close out, clearance, discontinued are my middle name. That is how I got all my Sitka gear. Must confess to getting quite a bit of stuff from Camofire.

But has anyone else noticed that the “deals” on camofire are not as good as they once were as far a percentage off?

Yes Mr Hoss, I have noticed... although I cannot bring myself to actually watch hunting shows because they have removed the romance of the HUNT and replaced it with shameless self-promotion, puffing and marketing.

We now live in an age of money and insta-fame. It's not my cup-o-tea. Sure, I SHARE on MM because most of you guys have displayed that you're salt of the earth guys and I'm not trying to sell you anything or get famous for it.

Disclosure: Yes, I bought a pair of those high dollar pants.... and felt dirty and guilty and promptly returned them since tan $50 Shirpas at Recreational Outlet are functionally just as good.

Zeke

I’ve bought a lot from camofire for years and years, and still check nearly daily, but with all do respect with there surcharges + shipping even though I’m the next county over, its not much of a deal anymore. With that being said if any of you like Sitka or black Ovis and have a 42”+ waist and 26 length you’ll find something that might work.

The reason your grandpa or dad hunted without this stuff is because it wasnt made yet! A long time ago people didn't have running water and electricity! I know I will never go hunting in a pair of bluejeans anymore after wearing a pair of Sitka mountain pants!

No.

It's because Grandma was home with kids. Spending $3k on gear to kill $300 worth of meat, would have been a no go.

I’ve bought a lot from camofire for years and years, and still check nearly daily, but with all do respect with there surcharges + shipping even though I’m the next county over, its not much of a deal anymore. With that being said if any of you like Sitka or black Ovis and have a 42”+ waist and 26 length you’ll find something that might work.

Someone tell Buzz

Close out, clearance, discontinued are my middle name. That is how I got all my Sitka gear. Must confess to getting quite a bit of stuff from Camofire.

But has anyone else noticed that the “deals” on camofire are not as good as they once were as far a percentage off?
Yes sir, love Sitka! It’s my go to at this point…Check out Mountain Archery, they have some amazing deals at times. They also have a “HUNT OF THE DAY”, email sign up. I have scored some awesome pieces there!

You nailed it.
The shipping costs keeps me from pulling a lot of triggers.

You nailed it.
The shipping costs keeps me from pulling a lot of triggers.
Seriously, look at Mountain archery (local company out of Idaho). I’m not sure how they do it? I think anything over a cnote is free shipping. Plus, no taxes! I hope I’m not screwing up a good thing here, because I have no affiliation, and I hope they don’t change anything!

So I have a bit of a deeper question??? I get how you/we feel, or not?
I’m sure most of you have children, what’s there reaction to this new era of equipment. What are you buying them for Christmas, or what are they asking for, do they bring it up? Are they showing you these videos/ advertisement’s? Are they getting sucked into the new shiz, or are they happy to just go still. It’s a middle ground somewhat for my family. But I’ll still be dammed to pay full price for sure…

I'll admit I joined Western Hunter specifically so I could watch 9 seasons each with a dozen episodes of modern day hunting. Yes there are sponsor short clips throughout, tying laces of Crispi boots and heating water for Mountain House meals, but the filming and action are pretty good.

I guess I qualify as a "camo snob" as my giant duffel bag is full of Sitka, Underarmour, Killik, Vunigear and Kings......but I refuse to wear Kuiu!?

I'll admit I joined Western Hunter specifically so I could watch 9 seasons each with a dozen episodes of modern day hunting. Yes there are sponsor short clips throughout, tying laces of Crispi boots and heating water for Mountain House meals, but the filming and action are pretty good.

I guess I qualify as a "camo snob" as my giant duffel bag is full of Sitka, Underarmour, Killik, Vunigear and Kings......but I refuse to wear Kuiu!?
I finally broke down and bought some killik stuff. I am a fan. I do not like any of the camo patterns kuiu has plus just not a fan of it.

I held out on kuiu for a long time. I don’t wear camo, only solids so that wasn’t it. But then I bought some attack pants. I was always a Sitka guy. Not after that
If it's fit you like, try the Vunigear pants. The pattern is like the old Predator and ASAT, the fit, feel and comfort are second to none in my large wardrobe.
My new Kings XK7's are probably second place.

If it's fit you like, try the Vunigear pants. The pattern is like the old Predator and ASAT, the fit, feel and comfort are second to none in my large wardrobe.
My new Kings XK7's are probably second place.
That the killik stuff? If they sell solids I’d look into it

I have standards too!
Plus, I don’t like being covered in chocolate milk after being in the field, and a bit of a rain storm comes through. Kuiu holds dirt like no other???
Holds dirt?
Must be in the particular material make up?

What you are wearing in your profile picture in hands down the best pattern made, it flat disappears in any habitat.
Original Sitka Optifade ?

KUIU bought Utah sheep. To be fair, if your spending $1200 on an outfit, maybe they deserve buisness?
You are correct, I just dislike the pattern.
Out past 50 yards it looks like a solid black outline of a human.....a shadow, if you will.

Haha camo is overrated. I used to keep all my camo in a garbage bag full of sagebrush for a month before the hunt, would spray it all down with scent killer, wear face masks, paint, blah blah blah. I'm certain everything I've killed I could have killed in jeans and a flannel.

You don’t need nice shiz to kill stuff, but it definitely helps. Quality glass, boots, pack and I’d go as far as saying a reliable vehicle capable of some medium off-roading is the most important things. Everything else you can afford to go on the cheaper side of the spectrum if you need to.

As far as actual clothing goes, it’s basically all the same stuff from companies ripping off other companies ideas… but as it has been mentioned previously, kuiu has stepped up and donated time, money and resources in many conservation projects around the west. You don’t see those kinds of things being done by every company in the industry. Because of that and their quality products, they will have my business for the foreseeable future. I find it important investing in not only a good product, but a company that goes above and beyond to give back to these things that are very important to us. Something to think about the next time you’re looking at new gear.

Holds dirt?
Must be in the particular material make up?

What you are wearing in your profile picture in hands down the best pattern made, it flat disappears in any habitat.
Original Sitka Optifade ?
It may have been the original materials? But I originally bought into Kuiu and I had all the guide stuff with base layers and all. After using it for one hunt in a dry dusty area, and then a mild storm came through, it was like I had chocolate milk rolling off me. It just held dirt in the fibers. I’m sure they’ve improved on it, I’m sure I’m not the only one who experienced it?
But yes, all my upgrades are in the Original Sitka Optifade, love it! The materials they use don’t hold dirt in the fibers near as bad, and are really durable. My favorite is the 90% pant, which sadly they don’t make anymore. Thank goodness I bought a few pairs as they were being discontinued.

This photo is painfully awkward. Failed marriages, powder addictions, high fence hunting and blow-hards… looks like a really bad HUSH photo shoot.
Sad to hear yet not suprised, but Sounds like Utahs Dwr deer management plan, except for the even more awkward powder keg snifferz and the lack of the hush comfort blanket, wish I had a promo code but this man blouse allegedly fits to size.

0FDE86CE-5018-4AE2-8681-923365D23763.jpeg

Im not sure if I bought the hype but, my first lite pants make it difficult to put on another pair of jeans.
My kuwu puffy jacket makes its hard to put on a big canvas heavy jacket.

Im not sure if I bought the hype but, my first lite pants make it difficult to put on another pair of jeans.
My kuwu puffy jacket makes its hard to put on a big canvas heavy jacket.
I will continue to buy only when on sale. After wearing a “performance type” pants in the field I will never wear jeans or the cargo pocket style pants again. They are a good investment.

Glad you're not the only one to think so. Trail cam Tuesday Yeehaw:sleep:. I did get a pair of Crispis from them last week though and saved $120:)
I needed a pair of boots with taller ankle support and complete rand protection from loose rocks around the sides of the foot. I've never used tall boots and I've come pretty close to wrecking an ankle quite a few times so hopefully these will help. I'm constantly smashing the sides of my feet with just leather hiking boots on all these small loose rocks. It's been a while since I've had boots with good side protection, we'll see how these do. They definitely are going to need some better insoles though.

Might need to invest in that 3 way double Torain goretex taped and welded seamed merino Asian foot spun 4h lamb pac12 knee pad inserts to help keep those knees protected, dry and ready for some more rifle air guitar on the mountain.
Advice taken. Is this an Amazon purchase? Or do I need to chat with HUSH and the crew about a “code hushinops” for a 10% off coupon on a similar knee protectant designed specifically for the redneck air guitarist? Inflation….need discount options!

No.

It's because Grandma was home with kids. Spending $3k on gear to kill $300 worth of meat, would have been a no go.
It's simple psychology. Granny ain't letting Gramps spend $3,000 on anything let alone hunting gear. But tell Granny that for only three grand she can have a two week vacation at home without Grandpa and it's a done deal.

Then there’s my cold weather/bird watching hunting apparel…sunsets are amazing through those coke bottle glasses.
Bloodtracker- you are on to something. If your gear says “I’m just out here to have fun!”- those deer will probably ignore you. Maybe that gun SHOULD look like an air guitar. Instead of hiding (as if those deer can’t see that fake bush with eyes and gun barrel pointing out from it)- be loud, be obvious, make that deer laugh!

its pretty silly when i add up what i have on me when i walk into the woods.

6 k into a rifle
2 k plus into binos
2 k into a spotter

so im sitting at 10 before i even start looking at the tent, clothes,boots, backpack,tripod, whatever.

does this make me a cool aid drinker or someone that puts their money into something they love? guess id be more of a real hunter if i spent that on beer and smokes all year but i don't.

I don't think it's "real hunter" vs not.

I've just really started noticing. Especially in boots. Dudes wearing $1500 outfitters, camoed up, "systems", wearing $500 bright red, or multicolored European hiking boots.

When, did that trend start? 2-3 years ago?

"Systems". That is a recent development.

Sleep "systems"?

Layering "systems"?

I get gear is expensive. It's just interesting how it keeps evolving, based not on changed conditions we hunt in, but on advertising.

Wally Mart is the choice i still wear.
NOW glass it high dollar got to see them to hunt them.

I've just really started noticing. Especially in boots. Dudes wearing $1500 outfitters, camoed up, "systems", wearing $500 bright red, or multicolored European hiking boots.

Sleep "systems"?

Layering "systems"?

I get gear is expensive. It's just interesting how it keeps evolving, based not on changed conditions we hunt in, but on advertising.
yeah, i stopped looking when i discovered merino many years ago

unfortunately, it's the trend and it's not going anywhere. Buy more, buy frequent, and spend spend spend. hunting shows are now one long advertisement.

Sleep "systems"?

Layering "systems"?

Ya, Like "run" your gun!
When did we start to run them instead of shooting them.
Sure, I operate the action but I don't RUN the SYSTEM! LOL
New tactical buzz words for those new to the sport, I suppose.

old school,
Zeke

Bloodtracker- you are on to something. If your gear says “I’m just out here to have fun!”- those deer will probably ignore you. Maybe that gun SHOULD look like an air guitar. Instead of hiding (as if those deer can’t see that fake bush with eyes and gun barrel pointing out from it)- be loud, be obvious, make that deer laugh!
I honestly believe there is some truth to this. Normal non-camo clothing is camo. I think animals have learned the difference and behavior between hunters and people who are just enjoying the outdoors. They perceive a lesser threat from normally dressed individuals and those in hunt mode.
I have seen differences in the way wildlife react just in my experiences and they seem more relaxed when I'm just enjoying the outdoors versus trying to put an arrow in them. Not a scientific study by any means but I think there is something to it even if it is minimal. Big game hasn't been pursued by flannel shirts in four decades and they've forgotten the danger.:eek:

I honestly believe there is some truth to this. Normal non-camo clothing is camo. I think animals have learned the difference and behavior between hunters and people who are just enjoying the outdoors. They perceive a lesser threat from normally dressed individuals and those in hunt mode.
I have seen differences in the way wildlife react just in my experiences and they seem more relaxed when I'm just enjoying the outdoors versus trying to put an arrow in them. Not a scientific study by any means but I think there is something to it even if it is minimal. Big game hasn't been pursued by flannel shirts in four decades and they've forgotten the danger.:eek:
If there's deer in my yard and I ignore them they will happily let me walk all around them. If I stare at them and move toward them, they get really nervous and move off. They know when you're in predator mode.

I get most guys here hunt wearing knickers and a long coat like they did in valley forge but heck I’m all about what will keep me comfortable longer. I suffered enough wearing uncle Sam’s crappy camo and wore some of that stuff till I could afford better/ lighter. A couple years ago I was sitting against tree in -10 degree weather deer hunting feeling fantastic knowing I packed two miles without having to sweat my azz off and then could throw on packable down and be comfortable for hours. Merino, down, nylon blends, gortex, that stuff is game changing. But sure keep hunting in jeans and Carhartt if it floats your boat. It’s actually refreshing to see a commercial that highlights what little masculinity is allowed in the world anymore, in my opinion.

People dump a ton of money into these solids. I go to Costco and buy Eddie Bauer solids for a third of the price. I do want some origin camo for the simple fact it’s American made and Jocko is a good dude!

People dump a ton of money into these solids. I go to Costco and buy Eddie Bauer solids for a third of the price. I do want some origin camo for the simple fact it’s American made and Jocko is a good dude!
I just saw that today… kind of like the rip off version of the viet nam tiger stripe that they are hocking, but mostly like that the stuff is sourced and made in the USofA

I just saw that today… kind of like the rip off version of the viet nam tiger stripe that they are hocking, but mostly like that the stuff is sourced and made in the USofA
I think the patterns will evolve as it grows. I’m still getting some. They also make jeans and boots I want some of those two.

I have certainly noticed the same with antelope. I have found that if I try to sneak up on them in the sagebrush, they figure me out pretty quick. When scouting, I was just wearing whatever I had on (like grey shorts and a solid red tshirt. I wanted pictures so I just started walking across the country (like 20 degrees off of them). To my amazement, they stayed put until I got within 150 yards or so.

So I employed that during the hunt- and sure enough it worked!

Is it a perceived threat type of thing? Purely based on behavior not clothing. Watch videos of animals in Africa, they seem to be able to tell when the Chetah or lion is just coming for a drink or just passing through. They remain alert and cautious. Just my thoughts.
However large trophy type western game don’t seem to like anyone,

Is it a perceived threat type of thing? Purely based on behavior not clothing. Watch videos of animals in Africa, they seem to be able to tell when the Chetah or lion is just coming for a drink or just passing through. They remain alert and cautious. Just my thoughts.
However large trophy type western game don’t seem to like anyone,
I think that's it...

Walmart, b*tches! And if you're cool, you can pose like homey in the pictures. Best part? They've helped me kill big bucks. :sneaky:

Wrangler Outdoor Zip Pants
These! Then black ovis merino from camofire in the cold. I love the wranglers in the heat of CA bow season.

Cheap Eddie Bauer puffy.

My kids bought me a KUIU yukon rain jacket last year for Christmas and I'm waiting for the pants to go on sale as the jacket is nice.

Big money in optics and boots is worth it, clothing not so much. And I still drive a 2001 ford f350 powerstroke with a 6 speed. 280,000 miles and counting bought in 2004 with 21,000 miles.

I like me a little Kuiu here and there. Especially when it's on sale or used. I got hooked on technical hunting gear when I saw my first slow motion montage of a jetboil being lit and the subsequent hot water being poured into a mountain house pouch full of dried berries and granola and the steam rising up like the morning thermals at 25,000' elevation. I'm an extreme elevation front country hunter. Most of you bad ass backcountry guys wouldn't understand front country access issues.

BTW, I drive a 2000 F350 7.3 with 314k on it. I bought it after I graduated HS in 2000. It's a good truck. Not a whole bunch of power but, that also helps keep things reliable.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom