Have you bought into the hype?

I buy whatever Is on sale. I have Sitka, wal mart and some random kings. I find myself wearing brown work pants more then anything.

Most would say that I drink the Kool-Aid today. I buy quality gear today because I can. I spent my first 15 years or so as a hunter completely miserable in the elements. I remember tearing the corners out of a black lawn & leaf bag to wear as a rain coat because anything Goretex was out of my price range. The crap from Walmart would wear out in just a season or two. I remember sitting in my stand just staring at my feet because of the burning cold & asking myself “why in the hell do I even do this?” . Back then I wore a cheap uninsulated knockoff brand that looked like a Lacrosse burly. Since then, the kids have grown up, I make more money, the mortgage is paid off. Damn right I’m going to buy myself some good ****!!! People can think what they want…. I could really care less at this point in life.

I grew up when Army surplus was the only camo around and I figured if the Army boys could use it to hide when their life was on the line, it certainly was good enough to hide from a deer. Plus, it was comfortable enough to wear in any weather. Things may have "improved", but Army surplus still works! (If you can find it.)

I guess I can be the poster child but I have no other hobbies but hunting and fishing. I run the best stuff money can buy primarily. But when you’re 30 years old and single with no kids and hunt 100 plus days a year you can do that kinda stuff if that’s how you choose to spend your expendable money.

we all have to wear blaze orange hats and vest so what's the advantage of some fancy camo? unless archery or turkey hunting, don't see it being any advantage. I still wear my lucky camo long sleeve cotton over top of layers and under orange vest. but the new gear is Expensive! really wanted a KUIU super down jacket a couple years ago but could not bring myself to pay for it. got the REI down 650 for about $65 on sale and only use it for hunts and am perfectly warm and happy in it.

i don't drink kool aid and i cringe at what it looks like (and costs!) to be a "hunter" nowadays. i am not a gear head and all my clothes are more backpacker-oriented than hunter-originated. i love camo but don't hardly wear it anymore. i pretty much keep all my hunting passion to myself nowadays (except for when i share something here and get bashed for some collateral detail),, I embarrassed by most of what i see portrayed in media as/ by hunters in the last 5 years, at least.

we all have to wear blaze orange hats and vest so what's the advantage of some fancy camo? unless archery or turkey hunting, don't see it being any advantage. I still wear my lucky camo long sleeve cotton over top of layers and under orange vest. but the new gear is Expensive! really wanted a KUIU super down jacket a couple years ago but could not bring myself to pay for it. got the REI down 650 for about $65 on sale and only use it for hunts and am perfectly warm and happy in it.

i don't drink kool aid and i cringe at what it looks like (and costs!) to be a "hunter" nowadays. i am not a gear head and all my clothes are more backpacker-oriented than hunter-originated. i love camo but don't hardly wear it anymore. i pretty much keep all my hunting passion to myself nowadays (except for when i share something here and get bashed for some collateral detail),, I embarrassed by most of what i see portrayed in media as/ by hunters in the last 5 years, at least.

I have some high priced camo, but would have bought it in solids given the choice at the time. Now they sell all the options I have in camo in solid versions. Go figure!

It’s not about the camo pattern. But here is the deal: you get what you pay for most of the time. You absolutely can kill deer and elk in cheap tennis shoes, wrangler jeans and a flannel shirt. Those things simply won’t stack up to the elements very well, and I’ve been in conditions when that type of clothing would have likely put me in danger.

My gear is tailored for quality and comfort, first and foremost. If the conditions get bad, I want to be out hunting still if I choose to do so, and not be completely miserable. You all can have your left denim jeans, I’ll take performance fabric pants any day of the week. You all can have your cotton Hanes socks, I’ll use my Darn Tough wool socks. You all can use the $1.99 emergency poncho to try and stay dry. I’ll get quality, durable and somewhat breathable rain gear.

There are a lot of quality retailers out there these days. And like mentioned above, you can get a bunch of great gear that is designed for backpacking and it will work great on your hunts. But buy cheap, get cheap results. That’s my experience. I have worked hard for long enough I will pass on buying cheap from here on out, or if the only thing I can afford at the time is cheap (not just in price, but quality), then I won’t buy it.

I grew up when Army surplus was the only camo around and I figured if the Army boys could use it to hide when their life was on the line, it certainly was good enough to hide from a deer. Plus, it was comfortable enough to wear in any weather. Things may have "improved", but Army surplus still works! (If you can find it.)
is that sold as under armor now?

I never bought into the hype of expensive camo. I wear Wranglers and maybe a cheap cabelas camo beber fleece jacket. When I was guiding guys would ask why I wasn’t wearin camo. I’d tell em the deer we’re gonna should won’t care what we’re wearin and you’re wearin $1000 worth of camo and I can still see you.

If you can't tolerate a little discomfort you're not much of a hunter, or a fisherman for that matter. Being too comfortable makes you lazy. I'm poor and so I keep telling myself that.

I am really enjoying this thread. The Wrangler suggestion was great. My son ended up buying a pair of those pants and really likes them.
Picket and Big Wiff make a great point about the solids. My first few clothing items I ordered from Kuiu were camo. After that, I have stuck to solid colors. There is something weird (to me about having a fully matched "outfit" in camo, when you are out running around in the hills :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom