Hawaii ???

antlerrick

Very Active Member
I won a Hawaii trip at our Christmas party and have been trying to search for the best deals and packages, but there are so many to choose from and so many options that it is driving me bonkers!

I am looking for any help from you guys on best time of the year to go, (and try to stay away from fall in case my wife reads this) haha.. best island to stay on, best hotels to stay in, etc.. Price is not a big issue, but will be looked at also.

You can PM me, email me, or comment here..
I would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations!

And I'll see some of you at the expo!

Rick

You going by yourself or taking the wifey? That makes a big difference.
Now through up a picture of the wife and maybe some offers will come your way....watch out for JB and 1911.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Yes Kilo....the wife is going...
And that is another concern, what is the best area for a wheelchair to get around. It is a power chair but that does present problems sometimes.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]Maybe I can help, I use to live there.

1- Be SURE to drive the Oahu loop. Up through Pearl City, up to Turtle bay, along the North shore, stop at the Mormon temple and the polonisian center to look at the grounds (flowers), down through the tunnels and back to Honolulu. Be sure to stop at some of the many fresh fruit stant along the North Shore. WOW.
2- TRY to make it to Hamana Bay and do some snorkling. It's a preserve. It's like swimming in a fishtank full of fish. It's pretty fun to mess with the mongoose above the beach too.
3- Be SURE to go to Maui and drive up to the Haliakala Crater. It's breathtaking.
4- TRY to go on the West side Of Maui and see the wales and dolphins from Front Street in Lahina.
5- Be SURE to take the road from Hilo to Kona on the big island and stop at Akaka Waterfall State park.
6- Try to go see the green beaches on the Big Island.

That's all I can think of right now. As far as the other islands, Kauai, Lanai and Molokai, I wouldn't bother. They're cool but if you love those islands means you probably haven't been to the others.
As far as what time to go there, before June is when you get the best ticket prices. As far as weather goes, I liked the months of May, June and August best.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

I have been lucky enough to go several times (9 total). My favorite island is the big island. I would move to Kona today if I could swing it. My wife likes Kauai.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to go for the whales go in February and go to Maui. The whales can be seen on any island but Maui is the best.

If you want to fish go to big island. Kauai is also good but the water can be very rough and if you are not used to bad seas Kauai can be hard. Mahi- Mahi in winter and big marlin in summer. They have caught big marlin every month of the year but summer is best.

If you want to snorkel/scuba, to me, the big island (Kona) is the place. If you do that (big island)go to the Sheridan in Kona and do the night manta ray dive. WAY cool! There are no permanent rivers or streams on that side of the island so the water clarity is great. Maui also has some great snorkeling.

If you are going to see the Hawaii scenery go to Kauai.

As far as hotels, Hapuna Prince has been my favorite hotel. Again that is on the big island.

Hope that helps. The other idea is to get the blue guide book (they are named for each island like Kauai Revealed the ultimate guide book. The info in these books is spot on and worth the money. I have up to the 2nd editions but they are at five or six now. The books are a good read.

>My favorite island is
>the big island. I
>would move to Kona today
>if I could swing it.
>
>
If you want to go for
>the whales go in February
>and go to Maui.
>The whales can be seen
>on any island but Maui
>is the best.
>
>
>If you want to fish go
>to big island.
>
>
>If you want to snorkel/scuba, to
>me, the big island (Kona)
>is the place. If
>you do that (big island)go
>to the Sheridan in Kona
>and do the night manta
>ray dive. WAY cool!
>
>
> There are no permanent
>rivers or streams on that
>side of the island so
>the water clarity is great.
>
>
>As far as hotels, Hapuna Prince
>has been my favorite hotel.
> Again that is on
>the big island.
>
>

Utah400Elk just keeps bringing up the Big Island for a good reason. It is the best island! I lived on Maui, Lanai and Oahu and if I had my choice to go back and live it'd be on the big Island.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

I will be able to give you more input on the Big Island after the first week of March, as I am booking flights today for that trip.

I went to Kaui a few years ago and had a stop over in Honalulu. Very pretty and neat to see. Did some fishing, but honestly, I have had better fishing trips in Oregon, Alaska and Mexico. (cheaper, more fish caught and you get to keep more of them, Boat captains are also better other places)

The whole Pearl harbor thing should be mandatory for every US citizen as far as I am concerend, and I am not even old enough to have been in the Gulf war; But my Gpah was in the Pacific in WW 2 and it is straight up one of the most moving experiences of my life. If you have been to the Nam wall in DC and had realtives/close friends in that war, I think it is comparable.

Good luck and hope you have a great trip.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 05:09PM (MST)[p]springbear.........when you going to the BIG ISLAND...date wise?
There will be 5 maybe 6 of us over there to fish the max on the boat for 10days. We are staying in Kona just like last year.
9399konayellowfintuna2010.jpg

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

+1 on seeing Pearl harbor. The Punchbowl Cemetary of the Pacific is pretty cool too. My Wife complains that I am too much of a stoic and don't show my emotions. Looking down on the grave of one of the Men who raised the flag on top of Suribachi I burst into tears.

After that is done get the heck off of Oahu.

We are leaving for the Big Island in 15 days to spend 3 weeks at Waikoloa. We like this are because it is fairly dry and for the golf. The Big Island has many different things to do and doesn't seem to be a crowded as the other islands.
Maui is really nice but the traffic is terrible.
Kauai is our favorite island but it gets a ton of raia.
Oahu is ok in the Turtle Bay area but many of the beaches on are camps for the homeless. That's kind of a bummer

You will love the islands, I like them all. The Polynesian Cultural center was one of the highlights of islands. You have to seen this.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom