Hawkens

muleymaniac81

I love my scoped in-line, an Omega, but it is far from primitive. I have decided to make it the gun I use during rifle season, and to get a traditional style muzzleloader for the primitive seasons. In my research, I have found a few that I am interested in, but I would like to hear some opinions before I buy anything. My criteria includes: adjustable rear sight, 1-in-48" twist, and percussion cap ignition. If I could spend $1000+, I would go for the Davide Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken or Rocky Mountain Hawken, but that would be taking a big chunk out of my hunting funds for 2012. I have seen good things about Hawkens from Cabela's, Dixie Gun Works, Traditions, and have had good luck with a T/C. If you guys could share your experiences and opinions, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Mitch

The T/C renegade is a great gun in either 50 or 54 caliber. I put a tang peep on mine and it is a shooter. Can't buy them new, but there are usually some good used ones out there. Most of the 54s I have seen are 1: 48, but lots of the 50s have a faster twist (mine is a 1:28.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have several, but i have replaced the barrels with green mountain barrels. 1/28 for conical bullets. 1/66 for round balls. Green mountain barrels are very accurate.

I have a couple of renegades in the Denver area for 200.00 each. One a 54 the other 56sb. Both for 350.00

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-11 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]I have several rifles like this. Do a search and you can see my threads on the. Ron

9-25-10Lsmall.jpg

Flatlander2.jpg

Hawken1.jpg

I have a 50 cal that I pieced together. I picked up a good Renegade stock with all the fixins off ebay. Then I picked up a new 50 cal green mtn barrel in 1:28 twist. This gun is a conical/sabot tack driver for sure. I also have a Lyman Deerstalker with a 24" barrel, 1:48 in 54 cal. The gun shoots 1 1/2" patched ball groups at 100 yrds with ease. The Lyman trade rifle is also a hawken style with 1:48 twist but has a 28" barrel. I don't see why it wouldn't be as accurate as the deerstalker. One suggestion, if you are going to hunt deer sized game with a patched ball, get the 54.

I really like the tcs...but was really impressed with the traditions side-locks. went boom every time with no miss or hang-fires. Shooting granular 777 and a #11 mag primer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom