hb 291

hank4elk

Very Active Member
Another one of our fine lawmakers trying to sell off our public lands under guise of,the state can run them better.
This state can't run the public lands programs they have now with out some corruption,or good ol boy,back door deal thrown in.
Maintain them? What's that?
Maybe someone can find a link,I'm pc challanged.

"AN ACT RELATING TO PUBLIC LANDS; CREATING THE NEW MEXICO FEDERAL LAND MANAGEMENT STUDY COMMISSION; MAKING AN APPROPRIATION. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF NEW MEXICO:
SECTION 1.TEMPORARY PROVISION--NEW MEXICO FEDERAL LAND MANAGEMENT STUDY COMMISSION."

http://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/15 Regular/bills/house/HB0291.pdf

Calls for a 15 member committee to study public land transfer to the state. 15 members sounds like a cluster**** right out of the gate.

Digging a little deeper:

"After July 1, 2015, the commission shall meet regularly and shall study:
(1) options for the transfer of federal lands to the state;
(2) options for the transfer of state and federal lands to the Indian nations, tribes and pueblos of the state;
(3) options for the transfer of state and federal lands to the state's land grants; and
(4) possible land exchanges between the state and the federal government.

F. When undertaking its study pursuant to Subsection E of this section, the commission shall consider:
(1) opportunities for improved wildlife management;
(2) opportunities for transferring title of culturally or spiritually significant lands to the Indian
nations, tribes and pueblos of the state;
(3) opportunities for transferring title of culturally or spiritually significant lands to the state's land
grants;
(4) opportunities to address problems concerning land access; and
(5) opportunities for cost savings to the state or to the federal government"

Interesting that the bill does talk about opportunities for improved wildlife management, but NMDGF doesn't appear to have a seat at the table.

The states land is well over grown, roads are terrible, arroys are over running a lot of state land and they don't do anything about it. The little bit of state managed areas there are in the middle of national forest are run horrible. There is nothing about this that would make the land better.

Not to mention that with the state land we have now, it is basically off limits if a landowner has leased it. More state land+more leased=less hunting opportunity IMO.

HB291 didn't make it out of committee:

"A House committee has rejected a proposal to create a commission to study whether federal lands should be transferred to the state. The House Judiciary Committee today tabled House Bill 291 on a bipartisan, 8-4 vote. Rep. Yvette Herrell, R-Alamogordo, sponsored the legislation, which drew opposition from a range of public lands users and conservation groups. ?We should be in control of our own lands ? managing them on more of a local level,? Herrell said. She disputed the argument of opponents that transferring land to the state would lead to its being sold to private interests. But critics of the bill said the transfer of federal lands was unworkable and unconstitutional. Victor Reyes of Conservation Voters New Mexico said it would be ?wasting our state agencies? scarce time and resources? to study land transfers. "

I'll try and find the list of who voted for and against.
So far we have fended off the nut jobs of land deals and bunny huggers 3 time this year.
Keep the faith!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-15 AT 05:37PM (MST)[p]Thanks everyone that helped us with this... The Public Lands Rally had over 300 Sportsmen and Sportswomen at it and it sent a clear message. Rep Pacheco and Rep McMillan were the the two republicans that crossed party lines on this one and they should be commended. They were getting an ear full from somebody within the Republican Party as they left. Aubrey Dunn was a real piece of work during this entire process. I am not sure if it is legal but it is sure in poor taste because he was really lobbying hard on this.

Rep Pacheco said he had 150 calls from people against it but 0 calls for it..It really goes to show the power of a phone call . GREAT JOB EVERYONE THAT CALLED.

I am afraid that this is something we will need to fight every year..

here is a list of other bills that involve sportsmen issues..
http://www.nmwildlife.org/nmwildlife/involved/legislativewatch

J-

Here is a list of all the people on the committee so take out the dems and Pacheco and McMillan and you have who voted for it.
http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/committee_display.aspx?CommitteeCode=HJC

BTW... I dont' post here much anymore because there are too many personal attacks... I have a running blog on all this that impact us on my NM Sportsman facebook page..

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom