heading out 2B

S

star

Time has arrived to head out to caraccas mesa..& where ever I can find that buck..heck...Im not a trophy hunter but ,Ill be counting those horns...HHEEEHHAAA

Good luck! I will be heading out there for the late hunt. Let us know how it went when you get back.

M1fan,

Were you hunting 2b also? Has the migration started? See any good bucks?

Let's see some pics.

No monsters seen. Got up to 70 during the day. My brother was packing the camera and will get the pics from him soon.

The hunt was satifying for me because my 7mm Rem. had issues and I went to my daughter's gun as a backup. I took her gun for hiking days. It is a Rem. 700 MR in .260 Remington. I took my deer at 255 yds with the .260 using 100 gr. Hornadys. He would not come closer and with the shooting day winding down, I decided to take the shot. The load was proven by my daughter before but I had reservations on a large bodied mulie. My concerns were put to rest when after the shot he took about five steps and piled up. Long live the .260!

no I did not go my son got hit on his bicycle by a motorcycle and needed a operation, hes good now I was close to leaving! but could not pull the trigger!
rm

come on guys anyone proud of their 1st rifle buck! I know bucks were taken I want size!
rm

Went on another scouting trip in 2b and 2c yesterday. Probably saw 50 or 60 deer. Most of the does didn't have bucks with them yet, except for the usual forkys. Saw one buck that would maybe be a shooter all by himself. He would probably go 170 and he had a 2-3 inch cheater coming off his G-2. He looked like he was starting to get his swell on a bit. I can't hardly wait for Nov 10th, looks like it could be a good hunt.

2 for 2!!...a 6 pt ,& a 4 pt..liver & onions two nights in a row ..aahhhh darn good food >>>

went 2 for 2 on the second rifle hunt dad got 3x2 with eye guards, mom got 3x2 no eye guards shot at a larger buck but missed him saw a 6x6 bull elk also probabaly saw 50-60 does a day most groups with no bucks except small forky's great hunt tho saw around seven bucks total

I'am leaving tomorrow for Saturday morning hunt. Have the deer started migrateing out of the San Juans yet? Are the deer starting to rut yet? Thanks, Rick

I'll be heading out on Friday for the late hunt as well.
I can't wait!!!! Anybody have pics of bucks they pulled out of there this year?

>I'am leaving tomorrow for Saturday morning
>hunt. Have the deer
>started migrateing out of the
>San Juans yet? Are
>the deer starting to rut
>yet? Thanks, Rick

All the tracks we saw were headen south ..like a deer freeway..saw bunches of small groups w/a decent 4pt. 100 yards drop him w/ a 7 mag..

I can only speak from what I saw hunting up in the NE corner near both borders. I hiked along both the Jic and the CO/Ute fences right to the corner and saw where a ton of deer have crossed into the Carson NF, all headed south, but all the tracks appeared to be does and fawns. I think it's been so hot that none of the big boys have crossed over yet. I have an out-of-state funeral to be to on Thursday, so today was my last day to hunt. I ended up shooting a small three-point this morning near a waterhole. He was with another smaller three-pointer. I'd passed on a few similar sized bucks Saturday and Monday, but I never did see anything bigger.

My buddy took a 3X4 on Saturday. Both our deer were several miles beyond the locked gates.

I'm not sure how the hunters were doing on top of the mesas, but I did hear quite a bit of shooting up there. I talked with a couple Gas Company guys that said that they were not seeing the "BIG ONES" yet this year like in years past.

On Monday, I think I recognized the Timberline Warden from some of his pictures working a nice looking canyon that I was sitting on the rim about quarter mile above. I heard a couple of shots from that direction shortly after I left, so hopefully he got that big one he was after...

the big boys did not come down... thats all i can say.. one worn out pair of shoes and no deer over 180. my hunter was looking for the magic 200. did not happen. maybe next year.

>the big boys did not come
>down... thats all i can
>say.. one worn out pair
>of shoes and no deer
>over 180. my hunter was
>looking for the magic 200.
>did not happen. maybe next
>year.
On the first hunt or secound? I was on the first hunt ,saw some guides on horses w/ a couple of hunters,headed towards the Jic. line on a trail.then up towards the NW corner of the unit.

Yea Mozey, that was me you saw- I didn't see you so I'm glad I didn't take any monkey-spankin breaks on Monday ;). Weather was as hot and dry as I've ever seen it in 25 years of hunting in "the aformetioned spot". Best buck I saw might push 170- in retrospect I should have taken him. (I did cut one track from what is probably a bona-fide breeder) We all killed nice bucks (relative to the rest of NM), mine was a massive and gnarly little 5x who'se antlers would just hold a basketball. One of our guys killed a 29" wide x 22" tall buck who's front forks were weak and squiglly (looked like T-rex arms- I'd have loved to see him next year after a wet antler-growing season). We killed 3 of our bucks on my deeded, basically from the cabin door. Seemed like more hunters/horses working that country nowadays then are on the mesa (hey guys, it's a big unit, bucks spread out in a pretty random distribution, WTF?, I hope that after all these years I don't have to start pricing posted signs and get all land baron patrone')

All deer where skinny, less than half the body fat I'm used to seeing up there. My guess is the big boys should be moving in this coming weekend - I saw a post on here about a guy in Ignacio that killed a real pig, and I couldn't help but to think he'd (the buck) would have been in NM if the weather hadn't sucked so bad.

On the flip side, my uncle's January bow hunt's going to be pretty damn sweet! See you in the hills. I try to stay off this site anymore, I get enough headaches at work... (the artist formerly known as Twarden)

Heheh...I thought that was you--t'was the hat that gave you away. Also, you helped my buddy out on Sunday, but it wasn't until later that he actually put two and two together and made the connection to this blog. He spends time on this blog as well, but I'll let him speak for himself if he so desires. He did say that he thought you were about the nicest guy in the world--where would he get that idea? ;-)

Glad to hear you still ended up with a decent one. And the 170" that you saw exceeded anything that I saw by at least 70".

Oh...and I wasn't on a horse...

I was going to ask if that guy was your buddy- I teased him a little that it seemed pretty convenient that his buddy (you) had to leave the day he was packing out that buck, but would be back the day after. Nicely played Mozey! (JK) He'd gotten a little turned around.

Tell your friend I was damn impressed, I watched him all day packing that buck out, and it would have been a hell of a chore for a man half his age- (But I bet he thinks twice next time he's scoping a 3x on the back slope of nowhere two deep drainages from the truck)

Anyway, congrats and good luck to all. FYI-I hear there are a couple more Ibex Billies in the Little Hatchets (It's still unlimited off the Floridas, isnt it?)- I've tried it a couple of times in the past few years and it's a lot funner than working, I bet you and your buddy would have the sack......

MIke

lol...based on situations with elk and barbarys that we've gotten ourselves into the last few years, that pack-out was nothing for him. It was his getting "turned around" that was a bit unusual. I was ready and willing to help him bone and pack it out on Saturday if that's what he had wanted; but he kept eye-balling that road below and convinced himself there was an easier way.

To rub salt in his wounds, a passing gas company guy helped me drag mine off the hill, loaded it in the back of his truck, and hauled it the 4.6 miles back to the gate for me. Too bad those guys don't work on Sunday... ;-)

Thanks for the tip on the Hatchets--I've been looking for something to do between now and barbarys...

John Q
Tried to PM you and couldn't. I'll go for it here.
Thanks for the map on the wall and tell your family thanks. The ride to the gate was a real help. I didn't know I was being watched. I crossed to your two track on the low road by the tanks and then up the hill to the gate, arrived at the gate a little after 3:00 and made my truck at 4:50pm. A full 12 hours of work, but it was worth it. All those gas roads look the same, especially coming from the opposite direction. I look forward to popping my 3X4's granddad another year. Your clues with the rhyme were great for us (sorry if that's still a sore spot)That's why we ended up where we were, (thought we figured it out). I didn't put all the clues together in my head as to who you guys were, until after I'd left you. Remembered you said your Granddad had a cabin, and you said your dad's name in answer to a question and that's when the pieces came together.
Thanks again,
Bruce Myers

John Q, I want to touch base with you! if you get time, send me a pm with your email. I know I we were conversing before the season, and just want to touch base on a few things! Look forward to hearing from you! Miss having you around!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom