heading to Idaho in Oct......need advice

S

SeanC

Hoping to get my first out of state buck this year and i was planning on hunting southeast idaho. we have 11 days set aside and are ready to do some serious hiking. i am looking for any info that you seaoned muley hunters would have for a young kid. Our plan is to set up a base camp where the old timers can hang out and the youngsters will set up a spike camp somewhere far from civilization. do you guys know of any good areas with large populations of deer, not necessarily the grandes but abundant. what about the bear lake area in 76? any info would be greatly appreciated- Sean

Area 76, north of Bear Lake, in the mountains near Montpelier is a great area. There is good access and some great bucks are taken every year.

Only problem with that area is that you will not get "far away from civilization". There are people and roads everywhere. This year with state changing the controlled 1115 total non-res southeastern deer tags to just the General pool of tags there could be even more people there this year. If you really want to get away from people and set up a spike camp I would look farther north in 66 & 66A. Lots of back country with fewer roads, great for spikeing out.

Depending on the deer you want to get into I would definitely agree on the 66 and 66A. Both of my buddies had great success up there with just that situation. A base camp and then they spike camp further in about 3 miles. They filled out on their deer and elk tags. 76 is all right from my source on the ground, but I have heard that any big ones are few and far between. Lots of deer, just not many killers.

I live in 65. Our deer took a beating this past winter. We had about 700" of snow amd lots of negative temps. I don't think the 60 units are going to be as fruitful as season's past.

The more people I meet the more I like my dogs

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom