Heading to Kauai

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Ok guys- My family and I are heading to Kauai on Friday. We're staying at a friends house right next to the Marriott on the south end of the island. We're planning on doing the normal stuff....luau, snorkeling, eating at Dukes and just chillin. Any pointers on what to do or what NOT to waste money on? We will have 2 cars there so we can access anywhere on the island for cheap. I looked into fishing but seems that it might be a bit pricy to try to catch some tuna or wahoo. Its about $200 per person for a 6-8 hour trip. Thanks a ton.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Go up the mtn to wiamai canyon, go to the north side and hike kalaua trail to at least the water fall which is 8 total miles. Watch sunset on the west side. Take a boat ride around to the west side into the caves etc.

Take the Helicopter ride on the north end of Island and down into the caverns there by Heli.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Chopper tour, safari helicopter tours. Count how many chickens you see during your stay. You lucky dog!

Ummmmm....helicopter rides? I am but a simple man paying for 5 others on this trip. Unless there are dishes on that copter for me to wash, I'll be keeping our feet on the ground. :) I have been told that before to go on that tour. I was also told that one might need a barf bag. :(
We will be going to a luau one night and have been told to make sure we go to a good one and not just ANY luau. Any suggestions on which one to go to? We figured we'd ask one of the locals. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking forward to it a ton.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-15 AT 03:50PM (MST)[p]I would recommend hiking the Hanakapi'ai trail to the falls if you travel to the north side of the island. It's a relatively easy hike. I think 8 miles round trip. It is a muddy mess in the afternoon. I suggest doing it early before the trail gets busy. It is steep at at the start of the trail but mellows out once you cross the river and head towards the falls. Make sure you have good shoes/boots that aren't your most prized posessions. The mud WILL stain anything that it touches, including your skin! Take plenty of water and food if you do the hike late in the day. Flash floods have been known to strand people overnight on the wrong side of the river.

Waimea Canyon is pretty cool. I believe they call it the grand canyon of Hawaii and it lives up to that name. If you go to the lookout point, there is usually a native Hawaiian that gives a pretty good history/geography/biology lesson about the area and how they hunt it.

The whole south side of the island is very dry and desert like. If you want to see lush green forests and a lot of water falls, the north end is better for that. I see a lot of dry land in California so I prefer the north side.

Make sure you find some fresh Poke. I've never had Poke as good as they make it in Kauai! We stayed in Princeville and just down the road towards Hanalei there is a small fish shop that sells awesome spicy Poke! That and the luau are my only food recommendations. Try some Wailua Wheat beer while your there as well. It's pretty good stuff.

Make sure you watch the sunset. Try to get a picture of the "green flash" when the sun sets beyond the ocean. We watched it at Poipu Beach and got some great pics.

Traffic gets pretty bad in Lihue and Kapaa. So if you're traveling that way, budget a little extra time.

You'll have a blast. I went there with 11 family members last Christmas and now I can't wait to get back!

Jim

5720p1020526.jpg

...and don't drown....good to know. :)

The Luau in Kauai is below average, wouldn't do it again. canoe up the river to hidden falls is great, Catamaran ride to the Nepali Coast is great! Anini beach (east side) is great snorkeling and paddle boarding, if you like I can get you a number of a local guy that rents them cheap, delivers and picks them up. The best beach on the island is Queens Pond, polihali beach (west side) my opinion.

I agree that the luau's for tourists are a bit cheesy and overdone. We went to one called Smith's. It was the perfect tourist trap. Beautiful gardens, so so food and entertainment. The kids loved it. I'm sure there are some lesser known local luau's that are better. My in laws payed for the whole trip. I didn't have much say on where to do a luau! The trip was a gift for us for their 40th anniversary. Go figure! As far as beaches go, Anini was nice. The reef knocks the surf down so it's good for small kids. I like the beaches at Hanalei and Poipu as well. Any beach that's wet, sandy and not too crowded is good with me though. I'm easy to please. We spent most of our beach time at Anini. Is Queen's bath/pond near Princeville? It sounds familiar.

Jim

$100/head give or take for the copter tour. No barf bag needed. Put in some ot before goin or charge it. Trust us it'll be the highlight of the trip. We had a vietnam vet as a pilot and he was great and had a good sense of humor to boot.

Wiz, color me jealous green! I love Kauai! I have been there three times and would go every year if I could afford it. You've gotten a bunch of good ideas here. Just don't forget to add some down time to just lay on the beach and soak in the view. I've always gone in Feb and March so we have gone whale watching. Probably not many there now. Take sunrise walks at shipwreck beach. There will be lots of others walking but its so worth it. The sunsets at Poipu are incredible too.

Snorkeling in any of the coves around Poipu is amazing. Rent your stuff from Boss Frogs in Koloa and do it on your own.

Also if you like being under water go SNUBA diving. Go with SNUBA Tours of Kauai (823-8912). I think the guy's name was Steve also. He does an awesome job.

Tide pooling at night is fun too. Nobody else out there and you see some amazing stuff.

And don't forget the shaved ice (snocones)! Try lots of flavors.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

One more thing, don't take a boat that's to big to get into the caves. BUT don't take one that beats the crap of you getting there, ie large rafts.

The helicopter thing is a go. I'll fork out the cash for that. Sounds like a cool, once in a lifetime thing to do.

I appreciate all the advice guys. Our flight leaves Friday at 7 am. Land at 9:35 HI time. We'll hit Costco for groceries (beer and Malibu) and then hit the beach probably for the first day. After that, its on. We know one day we'll drive up to the north end to go to Queens bath....thanks again guys!

Steve

My wife literally just texted me that people just died in a helicopter crash doing the sightseeing stuff. That's gonna be a no-go for her.

>My wife literally just texted me
>that people just died in
>a helicopter crash doing the
>sightseeing stuff. That's gonna be
>a no-go for her.
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

Ya!

Ms Wisz just might have to stay Home!

Again!:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

DW- Same mentality....I have decided that I will never go swimming in the ocean again due to all of the great white sightings in our area. I just don't need to swim in the ocean that bad. Our family has been dealt some pretty bad hands so I we tend to play it safe a lot.

BESS- No matter how many times you ask, she'll never....ever give you the time of day. :)

>I'm with ya on the shark
>tank. Send me a link
>to the recent chopper crash.
>

They Ain't gonna Advertise that Crash on the NEWS DW!

You wanna Scare people like Wisz?

They're Payin Customers!

And Wisz!

It Ain't the Time a Day I want again!:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-15 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]I was there this spring and I really liked the beach on the far west side called Polihale State Park. Absolutely gorgeous and not too many people. All the way to the end of the dirt road.
Helicopter tour was awesome. Grand Canyon is nice. Queens bath hike. Hike the trail south from Ke'e beach. Hope you enjoy chickens.

That was back in 07 wiz shortly after I was there. They tightened things up right after and since that happened for obvious reasons. That's why I wanted the link. Since 07 it's probably been the safest place to take a helo ride. Have a great time and stop worryin so much, none of us are gonna make it out of this life alive. Hang loose!:D

Wisz needs to start Spendin some of that Stash of Cash He's got Hid in His Billfold!

Quit Hiding it from Ms Wisz!:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

My post here is late but if you check this site while on vacation, go hike the Awa'awapuhi trail.

or hunt some Spanish goats

Polihale beach is a MUST! The Fresh Shave is the best place on the island for shaved ice if you have kids

Traditional >>>------->

>Wiz you are contributing to global
>warming flying around in jets...
>Just sayin
>
>
>
2311idiot.jpg

That's why if I ever go to Kona I'm taking the train.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom