Heart or Double lung shot?

B

Bowtecher

Which would you rather hit.
The heart or double lung an animal and why?
I've hit both and the longest tracking was on an elk that I hit
in the heart having to track it about 300 yards.
With elk that I've double lunged the farthest they have gone
is about 75 yards.
Lets hear from some of you other hunters.

You answered your own question. An animal can only go so far with no oxygen. They can go a ways with no blood pumping. A double lung shot is ALWAYS fatal.

PRO

>You answered your own question. An
>animal can only go so
>far with no oxygen. They
>can go a ways with
>no blood pumping. A double
>lung shot is ALWAYS fatal.
>
>
>PRO

It's not a question that I want answered for myself but more a
general where do you prefer to shot an animal.
Didn't think it was that hard of a question.

Bowtecher wrote:

"It's not a question that I want answered for myself but more a
general where do you prefer to shot an animal.
Didn't think it was that hard of a question."

Did you take offense with my post? If so, why? I meant nothing negative towards you. I was just using your examples to show how effective a double lung shot is compared to a heart shot. Nothing more, nothing less. It wasn't a hard question, in fact to me it is a no-brainer. That is how I as able to answer it, even if I didn't answer it how you wanted it answered.

PRO

Just above the heart and through both lungs. This decompresses their blood pressure and they drop in about 10 or 15 seconds.

Just above the heart takes out all the main arteries and both lungs. It's the spot just forward of the leg bone in the crook below the shoulder blade and above the joint in the leg bone. Most folks aim further back, but there's a huge V shaped hole there that is the most deadly spot available on a broadside shot.

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-07 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]Here's the pic that shows it pretty well.

4607480f530980a2.jpg

My quickest kill was a spine shot on a muley, dropped him in his tracks. Certainly not ideal as I was aiming for the lungs and hit high, also when he fell he broke the arrow and I lost a backstrap having to clean out all of the carbon inside.

Either one is fine for me......both will kill an animal in less than a minute. My experience has been different.....heart hit critters traveled less than 100 yards.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I personally think its nearly impossible to hit heart (on a broadside shot) and not also get lung (both if there is sufficient penetration). As a result, I suspect that in practice, the question is more theoretical than anything. I personally am a fan of a low lung shot that growds the heart. If I take out the pump station or the arteries coming out of it--great--if not--I know the critter isn't going far. I like the low shot because they tend to leak a little better.

I have some pretty good photos and a story that relates to this topic. If I can email the photos to somebody that can post them on this thread I will, then fill in the story.

I pinwheeled a bull once with a 24 yard shot. He ran about 50 yards before piling up. But I don't think I would aim where I did again especially if the shot is longer. I think c3 has it right. Go for the double lung. You go low you hit the heart and he's dead. You shoot high and you still get the lungs and he is dead.

Or you can miss like a friend of mine did with an elk broadside at 35 yards. He aimed lungs and hit it in the hind quarter broadside!!!. I was set up calling back and to the side a ways and was trying to keep the bull there calling and was pissed he wasn't shooting again. Then I noticed it wasn't the arrow that I noticed sticking out the side, it was blood shooting out in a stream two to three feet long. Femoral artery shot. Walked 20 yards, bedded down, and was done. That has to be one of the best worst shots ever.

Rackem

P1010176.jpg

INTERVIEW WITH GOD
http://www.livingwaters.com/interview/index.shtml

Double lungs. Bigger target and if you miss judge yardage you have it drop right into the heart if only a misjudge of a few yds. Longest I have had on muleys with both lungs is 75 yds.

fca2e9e9.jpg

the elk i shot this year was a double lung shot and went about a 1/4 mile down a real deep and nasty hole, it was a 43 yard shot with a complete pass through. it was shot at 2 in the afternoon and we finished packing at 4 a.m. the next morning. now the deer i arrowed this year was heart shot at 62 yards and went 10 yards then went 5yards backwards and fell over dead.the arrow went through both shoulder blades and took out the bottom of the heart. not a great shot, but extermanly effective. so im leaning for the heart shot

Double lung shot on the ground of It being the bigger target. Otherwise, there just as dead with either a solid lung or heart shot.
ismith

45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

For myself the lungs offer room fo error in distance judgement, as well as movement from the animal, wind, etc. My question would be high or low lungs? I have heard that a high lung shot is ideal because they then bleed down into the lungs and fill up quickly versus a low lung shot where they can retain some lung capacity and take longer to expire? What do you think?

Texas bullseye!!!! Right up the old pooper!!!
Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Well I prefer a double lung shot! but the kill zone on an elk is about the size of a large pizza! and thats a pretty good thing for me with a big boy screaming down your neck i get a little antsy know what i mean? I just picture that pizza and give er hell! Deer... small pizza! (lol)

>You answered your own question. An
>animal can only go so
>far with no oxygen. They
>can go a ways with
>no blood pumping. A double
>lung shot is ALWAYS fatal.
>
>
>PRO

That logic doesn't exactly work, a heart shot is also always fatal. An animal, or anything that breaths oxygen, when shot dies from lack of oxygen to the brain. The lungs exchange oxygen into the blood, the blood then transports that oxygen to all the organs and tissues of the body.

Without the heart, the blood can't flow to vital organs.

Without the lungs, oxygenated blood does not reach the heart, therefore, not reaching vital organs.

So either way the end result is the same thing, prevention of oxygenated blood to the brain. Now the determining factor that dictates how far an animal goes is, actually a couple things.

The largest is the severity of blood loss, a heart shot is the most deadliest and should be the quickest, if the wall of one or more of the hearts chambers is ruptured, there will be MASSIVE amounts of blood loss, in turn blood pressure goes down and blood almost immediately ceases to flow. This also goes with any of the major arteries or veins entering or leaving the heart.

The lung shot is also very quick if placed correctly, a lung shot can be a slower death if hit in the peripherals of the lung. The reason an animal can survive longer is that the rest of the lung is still able to supply the body with enough oxygenated blood to stay alive. The wound has to create enough blood loss for the pressure to fall enough to lower blood flow to the brain. As long as enough oxygen is getting to the brain, then the animal can keep moving.

Another factor that can control how far an animal goes is pretty simple. If the animal runs down hill it can cover some serious ground in a matter of a few seconds. Next time you get the chance to see an animal at a full out sprint. See how long it takes them to cover some distance. 300 to 400 yards is not that far for them.

Double lung all the way. It's a much bigger target and just as fatal as a heart shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom