Helly Hansen Impertech Jacket

Moosestock

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or opinion on the Helly Hansen waterproof jackets? I am looking for a camo hunting jacket to keep me dry in the western washington elk season when we get so many monsoons. I don't see these talked about much on these forums but have seen written statements that they are very popular with Alaskan residents.They seem to come at a fairly reasonable price as I want a medium quality jacket and not the cost of a Sitka or any major brands as such. Any opinions or advice on other similiar reasonably priced jackets would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance, I really respect the previous opinions I have gotten from MM users on other items..........Les

Moose, I have a set and have used them in both the lower 48 and here in Alaska. They are superb and will definitely keep you dry. The Impertech is a very quiet, non-breathable, rain gear. If you are using it to hump up steep mountains, then you will sweat in it and the sweat will just stay on your clothes and inside the jacket/pants. I tend to use mine only in heavy rain, and then trust my outer gear to keep me dry when I'm moving. As long as you use it properly, it is great gear, if not, you'll hate it.

It is fairly durable, my set is 6 years old and has been used from New Mexico to Alaska. I love it and swear by it. It does not leak and you will only get wet from the inside if used improperly.

I hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your HH.

Garion33

+1 Garion

I have the jacket and bibs as well and would say that evaluation is spot on. Good stuff, I like that its nice and quiet. When i'm hunting where im not moving too fast, its perfect.

Good post Garion33. Right on. Like the Rivers West in that it doesn't breathe, very quiet and is great for riding or sitting. The rivers West is more durable but heavier than the HH jacket.

If you are going to be moving or working hard I really think you should reconsider the Sitka (camo)Gore-Tex, TAD Gear eVent, or Arcteryx Gore-Tex gear. I know it is more expensive but that shell layer is critical protection and I still think the waterproof/vapor permeable route is the best way to go. Can you do it the other way? Sure, but it requires more care, planning and discipline.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I just bought the coat today they had a discounted prices. I will be wearing in the monsoons in Oregon when I am hunting the reprod I am looking for ward to being dry. I won't wear on a long hike but for ##### footing around it will nice I think.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom