Help? Advice?

smitty

Very Active Member
Alright, I'm new to the muzzle loader thing.

I've drawn a muzzy ibex tag for february down in new mexico.

I'm shooting a TC Omega, 50 cal, 2 pellets of triple 7 powder, and 250 gr spitfire TMZ bullets. I've got some power belts as well, killed a cow elk and a deer with them, but wasn't very impressed at all with the bullets, maybe I wasn't using enough powder?

Anyhow, any advice from the pros would be appreciated. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to blackpowder guns. I know each one is it's own animal.

Also, is the colder weather going to affect things much?

Thanks.

If you are shooting 100 gr of 777 and the 250 gr TMZ accurately, you are good to go and I would not change a thing. They will more than do the job.

That said, I never liked the crud ring 777 gave me in my Omega, and now use BH 209. Might at least try a bottle and see how it works. I shoot up to 30 shots at the range without swabbing once with conicals. Not sure if that would hold true for sabots but worth a look.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I would shoot the bullet that shoots most accurate. Either one would work. I've been shooting the 250 grain Barnes TEZ pushed by 100 grains of granular 777 with great results. I've heard nothing but good things about BH209. Good luck.

I agree I'd switch to Black Horn 209 powder. It is a lot cleaner and you don't have the big smoke plum when you shoot. My wife has shot a bull moose and a mule deer with a Thompson
Center Triumph usuing 100 grains of BH 209 and a Barnes bullet can't remember the name. It has been very accurate and a deadly combination. I'd stay away from the power belts.

+++ 1 on black horn powder. Tons easer to load after the first shot. We shoot TXS 250 and 100 gr. BH powder. That bullet explodes like the burger.

I use 777 pellets and the crud ring issue can mostly be solved by using the weaker primers like remington Kleanbore or Winchester 777.

Ibex are tiny so accuracy is important, projectile is not.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-12 AT 09:29AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-12 AT 09:26?AM (MST)

Congrats on the tag! Ibex are not big critters at all so a 250 gr will work just fine. Leave the Powerbelts at home. I also use and recommend BH209 powder. My Omega has not had a shot of 777 or Pyrodex and never will as long as BH209 is on the market. Great velocity, great accuracy, hardly any fouling, no crud ring, no swab between shots, shot #40 (without cleaning) goes in the same group as shot #1. Anywhere from 100-120 gr by volume or 70-85 gr by weight will be your sweet spot. Use a potent primer (not a 777 or black powder primer) and you will have good ignition.

I recommend practicing at long range and be comfortable shooting at least 200 yards with your setup. Learn the wind drifts for your setup. February in Deming can get a big breezy. It will probably be a bit on the chilly side. You will loose a little velocity in the cold temps but you can verify that closer to the season.

Some great advice so far, I agree, leave the power belts home grab some blackhorn and your Barnes assuming they shoot good, and go smoke a ibex.

Does the BH209 come in pellet form? 2 or 3 pellets per load? Sorry for the dumb questions, I really am an idiot!

Ditto the barnes and BH209

Somewhere between 110-115 grain volumetric should be just about right.

The ballistics are so similar between the 250 and 300, I shoot the 300 in case I have to shoot em lengthwise.

i shoot 3 pellets of triple 7 powder with a 290 grain thompson center easy glides and killed whitedail off hand at 230 yards

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom