HELP-- arrows too slow???

NMboltripper

I need expert help.

I have a late season archery elk hunt here in New Mexico, Dec 4, and I chronoed my arrows today and I think they may be too slow.

I have Beeman ICS Hunters 400 with 100gr field points going at 245fps. I shoot a single cam Mathews SQ2 bow, date-2002.

Is this too slow for elk?
Do I have enough kinetic energy to get the job done?
Do I need newer arrows and if so, recommendations please.

Thanks for any help, guys!

-Mike

Well It aint all about speed. My arrow was doing about 230 when it killed my bull back in 08. What is the total waight of your arrow?

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Back when that bow was built in 2002, it was a deadly, elk killing machine.
Today, those arrows will bounce off elk like BBs off a stone wall.

Just kidding, today?s elk do not wear armor, they are just like the elk of 2002.
Make a good shot and fill your freezer, make a bad shot and speed won't matter anyway.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-10 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]Thanks for all the great replies.:D

My arrows weigh 416 grains. Give or take.

Again, thanks guys, I feel a little better...

-Mike

PS--My kinetic energy is 55.46!

That should punch the ticket.

I've killed elk with an arrow going 180fps. Put a razor sharp cut on contact head on the end of that shaft and put it where it needs to go and you won't have any problems. Good luck and have fun!

You are fine! Hit the right place and you will have a dead elk with no problem. The only person who would tell you it's too slow to kill an elk is someone trying to sell you a new bow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom