Help Guys! My Groups Suck!

bigtines

Help Guys! My Groups Suck!

Two weeks before muzzle season and I ain't very confident with my muzzle groups. I shoot a TC New Englander , 385gr Great Plains Hollow Points -- 90 gr black powder.

At 100 yds about an 8 in group. I have a back peep sight with a front optic. Shouldn't that be more accurate than back fiber optics.?

Any suggestions?

Thanks Bigtines

RE: Help Guys! My Groups Suck!

Bigtines,

Several things could be at play here. First off, Are you swabbing between each shot at the range? How are you lining up your sights? You should be aiming at approximately 6 o'clock. I also have found that using a target that is large enough to give me a definitive point of aim makes a huge difference. Remember that right now you are trying to see if the gun groups well and with what loads.

What is your rate of twist? I assume it is a 1 in 48" twist but I could be wrong. My hawken with the same twist likes to shoot a 375 grain hollow point conical with 80-90 grains of Ffg.

Have you tried varying your powder charges? start at 70 grains and go up in at least as small as 10 grain increments, but preferably 5 grain increments. It is important to keep everything consistent in your loading process. If you are swabbing and cleaning between each shot, (which I recommend) are you running three strokes each time or four or five etc. Keep consistent. Are you seating the bullet with the same amount of pressure each shot? etc.

Have you tried other bullets? That very likely will make a difference if none of the above advice will. Good luck and shoot straight! FH

I'd also say , try shooting groups at 50 yards , get your groups diled in and then back out to 75 and then 100 yards . Eight inch groups aren't off the charts , move up and record your shots , powder bullet etc . Hope this helps some ....NMhuntnutt

T/C Omega 50 cal, 110 grains ffG 777 powder, 245 grain powerbelts, 1.25" group at 50 yards and 4" group (totally my fault there, black of target was way too small) at 100 yds. Winchester 209 primer.

[image]http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/uploads/post-21-1061012586.jpg[/image]

freedivr2

I also own the Omega & some 245 Powerbelt ATs I normally use in my side-hammer. Have you tried that 100 length with 90 grains FF777... it works just as well for me using less powder.

"Sometimes we're the dog -- sometimes we're the fire hydrant"

I know it may be too late now for tips about muzzleloader hunting but I thought I would let you know what works for me. I shoot a TC Omega .50 cal. I have been using 100 grains of triple seven powder with 295 grain powerbelt bullets for deer and 385 grain powerbelt bullets for elk. I can get a group of 5 shots in an area the size of a grapefruit. I find that 100 grains of powder is perfect for both weights of bullets. I have done alot of experimenting and these combos have been awesome for me, and allowed me to bag a nice buck opening day.

Bigtines...perhaps your barrel just doesn't like that bullet...

I spent a lot of time last summer searching for a conical bullet that would shoot well in my TC Hawken .50 cal.. The one I found that shot the best in my rifle was the 460 grain No Excuses conical...Check out www.noexcuses.com .. Send the gent an email and he'll send you a box of bullets.. You don't even have to pay for them until you recieve them...

It may not shoot well in YOUR rifle, but all it will cost you is the price of a box of of bullets to find out..My Hawken loves 'em...

I feel you're pain! I am having similar problems with my Knight DISC rifle. It has always been fairly accurate 3-4" groups@100 yards with three pyrodex pellets and 295gr powerbelts, until THIS YEAR!! I have taken 8 elk with this gun in the last 10 years and have a lot of confidence unitl last weekend.

Now I can't get anything smaller than 12" groups. I have checked the scope mounts, cleaned througly between shots and everthing else I can think of. I did Notice a little pitting in the barrel, nothing major just small pitts all the way down. Could this be the source of my accuracy woes? I am about to the point of thinking I need a new rifle.

All advice is appreciated!!!!!!!

CJW

284- Sounds to me you need to borrow a friends gun since your hunt is coming up next week.

Do you have one to lend? I can break it in for you!

At least you're gun will have taken an elk, it may be the only chance it ever gets..............

CJW

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom