Help Javelina Hunt...

peakfreak

Very Active Member
Me and a buddy drew archery 17A/B, 19A/B, 20A, and 18B. We have hunted 20C in the past but drew this unit this year. We will be staying in Prescott. I was hoping for some help. Any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks

"You'll never get a big one if you shoot a little one"

Bozarth Mesa in 18B. But it is snowed packed and muddy right now! Wait a week...

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

I used to hunt 17A quite a bit and used to see them all the time in the area around the ranger station. I believe its called walnut creek ranger station but could be wrong.

How much snow are we talking Don? How about around Wikiup and Bahgdad? We were headed down tomorrow...............

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-11 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]None around Wikieup, not been to Bagdad, but I got to believe that up there is snow all over the place. You can still see snow on the mtns above Wikieup (18B).

Don

Thanks for the info. We are going to postpone our trip till next week. Is that river that runs through Wikiup running high?

The snow might have been a fun way to hunt, but those roads in the higher elevations are just not too fun when they get wet.

I know you are right. I spoke to one of my guides, he says there are tons of hunters in 18B on the Wikieup side. He said no snow down low, but he didn't go up high. Said he is going to wait until next week too, to got out.

Good luck!

Don Martin
AWO

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-11 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]Tried gong up to bozarth on opening morning but a foot of snow, and 9 degrees in a Teryx wasn't working very well for my knees.

Headed over by wikeup in the afternoon. Shouldn't have, there was a big camp about every quarter mile.

Didn't go out on sunday. It was my oldest boys birthday.

I spent all day today driving, glassing, and walking around the roads between bagdad and highway 97. Didn't see a single pig but a buddy of mine got one about an hour before I went through one area.

Tommorrow im going to go hike a couple draws that usually turn something up on the other side of 97.

If that doesn't work im going to go try to go up on the bozarth area again on wednesday. We'll see what happens.

After today most of the snow from bagdad on down has melted.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
square-large-sec.gif

One of my guides says the Big Sandy is running hard, don't try and cross at Trout Creek (MP 112). You have to get in through the Signal turnoff, mile post 133 I think. (Turn left, not right if you're coming from Kingman or else you are in Unit 16A).Opposite way if you're coming from Phx.

He says lot and lots of hunters, many from Nevada from highway 93 all the way up to Sycamore Camp. He said lots of big camps. Lots of snow and mud up high.

One of my guys stuck a pig, and the guy with him missed two shots. They saw three groups of pigs in two days in 18B.

Good luck!

Don Martin
AWO

Went out to the south side of Hwy 97 this morning. The first draw I walked didnt turn up anything. On my way to the second area I spotted some down in the bottom of a canyon at about noon.

This is what I came up with. Excuse the pic I was by myself and had to set the camera on a rock and do a mad dash to get set up in 12 seconds.

P1040199.jpg

square-large-sec.gif

Cool deal Fugitive!. Way to put the hurts to one!

Seems like a whole lot of Henderson and Vegas guys like the wikiup area. I've camped in the same spot the last 2 years and it seems like more people come annually and the pigs get pushed harder and harder. Think we will go exploring a little further this year.

Wish I lived closer than 12 hours away so I could scout a little more! Or any at all!

Good luck to all--save one for me.

Peakfreak. Ya they work pretty well to keep the hands free and keep it close to the eye.

square-large-sec.gif

What is the best way to get to Bozarth Mesa? through Bagdad? I hunted Bozarth a couple years ago and remember it was a long dirt road.

I am a Las Vegan and I know a few people hunting off of signal road and can find out how they did.

Fugitive, great job!!!! I remember the picture you posted last year of the one you got on Bozarth.

Also, have a question. I know I can research it but I figured I would ask my son is 9 years old, in AZ is the legal hunting age 10 and it is required to take a hunter safety course?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom