Help me settle a bet

A

archer4evr

Got into with a friend of mine regarding Wyomings speedgoat rut. Wanted to get the experts judgement call on which week that the bucks are chasing other bucks in September? I know it is alot longer rut than deer & wanted to narrow down the peak of bucks chasing other bucks off of their territory, and not breeding period.

I have $10 bucks on Sept. 16th thru 23rd. What do you think?

David

They rut harder closer to October, I like to head out the last week they are rutting and chasing hard and most everyone else already harvested their goats Antelope are a lot more aggresive and territorial than I've seen mule deer. Bucks will chase each other all the way through October

Last year we hunted the last 3 days of September and saw bucks chasing/fighting alot and on does every day. Seems like we had to be close to the "peak".

I hunted Wyoming the first week of Oct, and in some herds the bucks seemed to put up with each other. But other herds they were fighting and running each other hard.
I know this is no help on your bet, but I have seen them in rutting activity from mid Sept, to mid Oct,. I have hunted antelope in NM,CO,AZ,WY and UT and they always seem to be rutting. I would put my money on the last week of Sept, to the 1st week of Oct,.
Thank You
Rick

That's a bet nobody can win... It's never the same, it can be as early as late August to middle of October... It does seem like they are always rutting...

Certainly not an expert on antelope, but photograph them quite a bit and from my experience the heat of the rut will always run between the 20th of Sept. and the first few days of Oct.

My personal favorite would be from the 22nd of Sept. thur and to Oct. 1.

22-1.jpg

19-1.jpg

18-1.jpg

17.jpg

1-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

This photo for example was taken on Sept. 28th. You can see this before Sept 20th, but you will see more rutting activity after the 20th than previous to that date.

4-1.jpg

I personally think you lost your bet unless the guy you bet said it was before your dates.

Have a good one. BB

Antelope begin rutting rituals in early August and it continues to some extent until into late Oct, but the heat of the rut and chasing, and posturing, in my opinion and from my experiences bowhunting them for about 20 years and from my photography experience, happens within a couple days of the same time frame year after year.

That is not say bucks aren't chasing or pushing each other in early Sept, it is just to say that in most areas of Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, and Colorado, you can' almost set the day of the month when the heat of of that activity begins to boil.

So I respectively disagree with two of the above posters in that respect.

14-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

74.jpg

12-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

20-1.jpg

Have a good one. BB

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-11 AT 09:03PM (MST)[p]BuglinBilly---I think you meant to say you "respectfully" disagree with two posts. Aren't bucks chasing other bucks away from harems they are with for a number of weeks in the Fall? The original post asked what week they are doing that, but not actually breeding. Are you saying there is one week they are doing that or one week that you know when the peak of the actual breeding takes place? Are you saying that they are different or coincide with each other?

TOPGUN, yes I meant to say respectfully. You have to keep in mind I was raised and educated in Wyoming.

I did understand the questions ask. And from my experience bucks begin the rutting riual in August and like I said it continues into late Oct. With that said, the later in August and into Sept it gets, the rut keeps getting more intense as the days pass. One can see bucks sparring with other bucks in early Sept, even late August, but the real fights get much more intense after or around Sept. 20th and into the first few days of Oct.

Chasing does and bucks happen during all of Sept, but from my experience, bucks chasing bucks, happens more often after Sept 20th and during the time frame, of the heat of the rut, more often and with more intensity, than it does prior to that time, although I understand bucks run does and other bucks from early in Sept.

I say the guy lost the bet from what I see year after yaar. That is all I am saying. But to each his own.

Have a good one. BB

So I respectfully disagree with your position, although I acknowledge bucks chase other bucks earlier in the rut, but not as often and not with the intensity one sees during the heat of the rut, which like I said happens within a few colander days year after year. The heat of the rut is not o n a sliding scale, as someone above seemed to indicate.

Here's a photo of a buck whose photo I took on Sept. 25, 2010. I watched this buck fight another buck and chase off several other bucks and come back and breed the doe of whichhe is on top.

60.jpg

>Got into with a friend of
>mine regarding Wyomings speedgoat rut.
>Wanted to get the experts
>judgement call on which week
>that the bucks are chasing
>other bucks in September? I
>know it is alot longer
>rut than deer & wanted
>to narrow down the peak
>of bucks chasing other bucks
>off of their territory, and
>not breeding period.
>
>I have $10 bucks on Sept.
>16th thru 23rd. What do
>you think?
>
>David

Well I guess Im $10 bucks shorter. Thanks for everyones response to my ?. I knew I could count on my fellow hunters on MM.

David

buglinbilly---IMHO you have had pretty good schooling out in Wyoming, at least in your grammar, spelling, and punctuation, etc. from what I can see. I guess I wasn't getting the gist of what was asked because I know most agree that the photo-period pretty much is the determining factor of the rut for a particular animal at a particular latitude. I believe it stands to reason that a dominant buck would be chasing off others during the peak of the rut more than at other times to protect his right to breed. You are the one out there a lot watching and taking all those fantastic photos, so I wouldn't argue when that peak week normally is and would agree that he lost the bet! Would you say that the moon phase is the main reason that the peak of rutting activity will vary a little from year to year? Also, what are your thoughts as far as temperatures affecting the rut.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom