Help needed with Long range rifle scope for hunting?

HuntinAddict

I would like to upgrade from my traditional 3-9x40mm scope to a "long range" adjustable dialing scope which would give me opportunities at shots out to 700yds with my .270 bolt action.

Due to my busy schedule I am only able to hunt Mule deer once a year so I am not looking for the top of the line scope, but hoping to find options for a solid mid priced scope that would fit my needs.

What makes/models do you recommend to fit my needs?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Maven RS 1.2
SWFA 3-9 or 3-15 (have to find one used)
Used bushnell LRHS
Most of the trijicon offerings
Anything nightforce

SWFA will be the cheapest of the bunch. When you introduce a dialing scope you introduce a lot of potential for things not functioning correctly (holding zero, dialing and returning to zero).

I’ll add that 700 yards is a POKE unless you plan to practice a ton and burn out your 270 barrel. Being proficient at 500 is a more realistic goal unless you plan to shoot a lot. The math/ballistics is easy but the wind and shooting form is not.

I would add, not shooting a lot and shooting past 400 yards at game under field conditions is not really recipe for success.

There are many great options. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Maven RS 1.2
SWFA 3-9 or 3-15 (have to find one used)
Used bushnell LRHS
Most of the trijicon offerings
Anything nightforce

SWFA will be the cheapest of the bunch. When you introduce a dialing scope you introduce a lot of potential for things not functioning correctly (holding zero, dialing and returning to zero).

I’ll add that 700 yards is a POKE unless you plan to practice a ton and burn out your 270 barrel. Being proficient at 500 is a more realistic goal unless you plan to shoot a lot. The math/ballistics is easy but the wind and shooting form is not.
Thank you for taking the time to respond and list the recommendations.
Throughout my hunting life/career I have never taken a shot longer than 200yards as I have felt comfortable doing so. I plan to practice a lot now in the off season at shots over 200yards, but realistically I enjoy the challenge of closing the distance from 800yards to 300-400yards and taking a shot if conditions are favorable rather than attempting a shot at a deer 400+.

Thanks again to all.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and list the recommendations.
Throughout my hunting life/career I have never taken a shot longer than 200yards as I have felt comfortable doing so. I plan to practice a lot now in the off season at shots over 200yards, but realistically I enjoy the challenge of closing the distance from 800yards to 300-400yards and taking a shot if conditions are favorable rather than attempting a shot at a deer 400+.

Thanks again to all.
Nothing wrong with that! The more you shoot, the better you shoot..makes that 400 yard shot a chip shot instead of spray and pray.

700 yards is too far for a 270 just look at the energy at that range. so a scope like a Leupold with a CDS would work great for the distances you can actually shoot.

My long range rifle has a Nightforce and I use MOA . but on my other rifles I have mostly Leupold VX3 4.5x14 scopes with yardage based CDS dials and they work very well out to 500 yards. there are plenty of bigger better Leupold scopes but for the weight and magnification level the VX3 seems perfect to me.

I'll just make a quick recommendation on your magnification. Look for something that goes down to 3 or 4 and up to 15 or 18 max. I have some 5.5-22x and 6-24x scopes and don't like them at all for hunting. The 24x is nice for shooting paper but useless for hunting. Too little field of view. Likewise the 6x is too much for hunting timber. Additionally I'll take good glass over magnification any day. I can see better through my 18x Leupold VX-6 than I can through my Vortex PST at 24x. A good quality 3-15x or 4-16x is about perfect for long range shots in my opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom