Help! Old Brass Won't Chamber in new build

cache

Hey guys just picked up my rifle from my smith over the weekend and about hit the floor when he told me that my cases that had been shot through my old barrel will no longer chamber in my new rifle. Is there a die on the market that will bring these brass back into spec so they will chamber in this new build? Even after trying to full length size them they still won't fit. BTW it is a 30-378. Each unloaded case costs me $3.00 and i have a couple hundred of them that have only been shot twice.

Thanks guys!

There are a few guys on this site with a lot more experience than me when it comes to reloading, but that doesn't sound right to me. The full length should fit. If they don't I think there is a problem. Do you have any factory rounds you can try?

A high quality barrel job will have a tight chamber, and no you can't use brass from most other rifles.

You're not going to find small base dies in that chambering so it's toss your brass or have custom dies built for your chamber.

Stay thirsty my friends

thanks for the feedback guys. I have tried full lenghth sizing them and they still don't fit. I just got off the phone with RCBS and they said they would cutomize my sizers to my new chamber by sendig them some fired brass out of the new chamber at no cost. Wow! talk about service. I will start breathing now i know i don't have buy new brass.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-12 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]Cache- Just curious. Did your gunsmith test fire the rifle already? Do factory loaded rounds chamber? Also what is stopping the FL sized brass from chambering? I assume he might have went with a custom spec reamer. He would be able to cut you a die with the same reamer from a die blank.

+1 cahunter. He can tell you where to buy dies if he doesn't want to make you one. But you'll probably have to have a fired case.

Yes new brass and new factory ammo will chamber, this is expected in quality custom chambers it's not a mystery. standard dies don't take brass back to original specs, that would over work the brass for factory and standard custom chambers which make up 99.9% of sales.

I'm surprised RCBS will cut you a new sizer die at no cost, what you actually need is a custom die and it sounds like they're going to do it free. as you say that's customer service.

Stay thirsty my friends

I live about 20 miles from the RCBS office in Oroville, CA. I have several of their presses for my rifle reloading. I had lost the primer arm and several primer tubes to a older RCBS Rock Chucker A-2 press.

walked into their office and told them I had lost the items and needed replacements. They gave me the three replacement parts and refused to take my money.

If you build a wildcat caliber, you would do well to go to them for custom reloading dies. All my dies are RCBS except for the pistol dies I use on my Dillon 550 progressive press.

RELH

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Just to make things clear, the new barrel shoots under 1/2 minute of angle 3 shot groups with new brass.He guaranteed me 1/2 minute and it will definatly do that and more only playing with a few loads.I held him to the guarantee of 1/2 minute and took it to the local range before I paid him in full. I gladly handed him the rest of the cash after shooting just two groups.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-12 AT 11:50PM (MST)[p]Maybe im wrong but I don't see how rcbs would be able to customize your existing fl die unless they think its just the shoulder. Wouldn't they need to cut a new die for say tight neck or body diameter? If they will do that no charge id sure take them up on it.

Sounds like a good shooter. Give us some specs! Barrel? What loads you shooting?

The load that was tearing holes was 190 VLD ,107 gr.of H1000,Fed.match primer, shot through a #5 hand lapped hart barrel. Average velocity is 3385 fps with the new tube.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom