help scoring Antelope

Bikes

I am using the Pope and Young scoring sheet for pronghorn. They had me do the tip to tip and inside spread but don't seem to use these in the score only the horn measurements? Is that right? THANKS

I'm pretty sure thats right. They ask it on the scoring sheet but it isn't added into the total score in anyway.
Its just length and mass measurements plus the prong lengths that are considered.

If it helps - you can go to the Boone & Crocket website and do the score sheet online and it calcs it for you. That way you should be ablt to get it exact since they do it. Pope & Young uses the same as B&C yes??

there is no credit for spread for pronghorn. they use the tip to tip only as informational.

roado is correct, they use it because after
boiling or re setting the horns, you can gain
or lose prong measurments by tilting the tips
in or out, remember when measuring the prongs,
it is not actually the center of the rear of the
horn, but you put a strait edge along the rear of
the horn where the top edge of the prong meets, then
mark with a pencil where the strait edge touches the
backside of the horn, and start your measurment there!

That is correct. The tip to tip and spread measurements are for refernece only. They do not factor in the score.

Beware that P&Y can differ from B&C with antelope. With P&Y you must have two mass measurements below and two above the prong. With B&C, you can have three measurements below if the buck has unusually high prongs. This is one of the few circumstances where B&C rules differ from P&Y.

FYI, I am a P&Y official measurer.

>roado is correct, they use it
>because after
>boiling or re setting the horns,
>you can gain
>or lose prong measurments by tilting
>the tips
>in or out, remember when measuring
>the prongs,
>it is not actually the center
>of the rear of the
>
>horn, but you put a strait
>edge along the rear of
>
>the horn where the top edge
>of the prong meets, then
>
>mark with a pencil where the
>strait edge touches the
>backside of the horn, and start
>your measurment there!

For us dummies - is there any way you could post a pic of that?? I still don't get the exact spot to measure from. Sure appreciate it if you could.
Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom