HELP stop state land trade

cmiddleton

Very Active Member
WE NEED HELP!!!!!!!!
the state land board and the falls ranch aka lone star cattle company (Russel Gordy) are trying a land swap.
they want to trade all state lands on muddy mountain elk area 19 for the old Altman ranch.
the Altman is all sage brush and gets real muddy all spring.
the land is of no use to sportsmen.
they are trading for mountain land with beautiful aesthetics fantastic elk and deer hunting.
the trade land locks thousands of acres of blm
it will happen is we do not fight to stop it.
we will loose the whole east end of muddy mountain parts of the second range of muddy.
the elk hunting will be impossible.
he has single handedly blown the elk population out of proportion and devastated the mule deer populations and doing serious damage to the winter range for the elk.
he will kill 7 elk a year out of a herd of 7000 and the populations will boom and crash.
this land swap must be stopped contact the Governor, Representatives and state land board and help stop this trade.
even out of state hunters are loosing prime hunting ground so this effects all of us.

""he will kill 7 elk a year out of a herd of 7000 and the populations will boom and crash""??

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

At the last G&F meeting I attended the herd for 7 & 19 was over 9000 animals. The objective is 5000. The numbers are growing exponentially in both areas. For practical purposes the G&F considers the elk up there to be part of the same herd since they move freely between ranges. Not sure how a land swap will change the animals wintering habits unless the state intended to haze them somewhere else. Irregardless of who owns the properties, they're going to eat where the groceries are. I flew the area several times earlier this winter scouting for elk and can tell you they were well distributed with a large number being on Gordy's deeded ground. I don't support the proposal at this point, but if he's trading primarily land locked ground for additional riverfront property on the N. Platte, I will. The G&F destroyed 19 with their split seasons and all the additional hunters during the archery season. I probably don't have many season left of applying for 19 anyway. Otherwise this waterfowler and fisherman has no problem with more access on the N. Platte...

you will gain a couple hundred yards of riverfrontage for thousends of acres of mountain.
he is boxing in blm land then he will have it too.
this is a bad deal for the elk too as 13dr said the herd will be heading for a crash. the deer already have and will not come back tell the elk numbers are reduces.
if wolves would stay on gordy's land i'd say send them in.
and i'm vary anti wolf.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-10 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p] WE WON!!!!!!!
Russel Gordy withdrew his application after the public meeting last week.
this doesn't mean we have won the war just the battle.
mike Gilmore is coming up with a bill to remake the way the state land board exchanges property so the public is in charge of land swaps and they can't be flown under the radar like they wanted to do with this one.
right now by the time the public is told about exchanges its to late to stop it.
thank you to all the people who helpped stop this trade.
tripple bb go stick your head back in the sand. you are not a sportsman's friend thanks for nothing.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-10 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]Hey dinglenutz, reread my post. I noted at that point I didn't support the proposal. I never did see the maps or anything else on Gordy's final proposal so my position never changed. While you're at it, why don't you go back to grade school and learn to read and write. Your grammar sucks...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom