Help training a pup

out4elk

Requesting a little help from those of you who know.

How do you get a pup to stop crapping in the kennel? It is a 8-9 month old Brit and he will fill the kennel up in just a few days.

I let him out every night when I am home from work.

Help or tips appreciated

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Good luck teaching and animal not too poop in his kennel when he spends 23 hours of his 24 hour day in there.

I Personally, i don't know of ANY kenneled dog that has that type of discipline.
When he's gotta go, he's gotta go!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

As a general rule, the longest a dog can go between breaks is a little less than an hour per month up to about ten months. If you are leaving the dog in the kennel for longer than about 7 hours at a time you are going to have problems. As it relates to house breaking a dog many use the crate training method. This method involves putting a dog in a crate no larger than the amount of space required for the dog to turn around in. The idea being, the dog will view the crate as its den, and dogs typically will not go where they sleep. In order for this to become effective you must allow for regular intervals for the dog to go in an acceptable area. Failure to provide such times will only result in a dog sleeping in a pile of crap when you get back. You WILL NOT get the same results from a kennel and certainly not for longer periods of time between releases from the kennel. TIME is the critical element. As stated before even if you were using the crate method to achieve some degree of house/kennel breaking, there comes a point where they are going to have to go. Aside from that, other factors in where or when the dog relieves itself include the feeding and watering schedule.

I've got a 9 month old Brittany and take her out early in the morning, noon, 5pm and again between 7-9pm. She will still poop in her kennel. It's not an option to take her out several times a day. IT HAS TO BE DONE!!! Those dogs need time to RUN. I put her e-collar on and jump on the bicycle and watch her haul azz around the neighborhood for ten minutes or so....minimum. If you can't take the dog out several times a day then it's time for the dog to find a new home. When we go to the cabin on the weekends she doesn't sit still for a second. Don't keep that dog penned up. Get on a schedule and stick to it.

First off you may see a smaller amount if you change to a better grade of dog food. With that said, you should let your dog out of the kennel every morning and every evening at around the same time. Even better if you can let him out in the middle of the day. Your dog will quickly adjust to the consistent schedule and do his business at these times. Nothing is 100% but this usually works.

Good luck, Britts are great dogs!

Good luck with that. Dogs convert dog food into dog $hit. And they are damned efficient at it. When you buy those 50 lb bags of dog food the only guarantee you have is that most of it will end as dog crap. We have an old yellow lab male that we adopted from a lady who had no place or time for him. He can be out all day long and will go into his kennel to crap. I don't know if he has ever gone anywhere else. I think he seriously holds it until he gets into familiar surroundings. Then again, who isn't more comfortable in their own house :)

When we were house breaking my wifes sissy dog we had to put his crate next to his food dish. guess he followed the old addage don't sh## where you eat worked great for a toy poodle
Good Luck and Great Memories

And another thing. Don't let your dog fill up the kennel. Clean it daily. Feed it Eukanuba or Iams and walk the friggin thing a minimum of 3 times a day. Problem solved.

OK here's the deal, like I said I do let him out every evening when I come home from work. He is out so much he gets bored and turns into a porch dog.

I have an 8 yr old Brit that hasn't relieved himself in the kennel for as long as I remember.

I was just trying to figure out how I accidentally trained him so I can maybe get my new pup heading down the road.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Some dogs are just more fastidious than others. My wife has a chocolate lab male pup that will be two mext month. He's crate trained, from there we trained him to use his own bed by ours and I don't think he has ever made a mess where he shouldn't. He was so easy to house train it wasn't even fair.

Funny thing is yesterday after posting that story above about the old yellow I felt sorry for him and let him out to roam since I was going to be home. He made his usual tour of the ranch and came back a couple hours later happy as hell. Layed there by his kennel until I let him in. First thing he did was walked in, took a leak and crapped. My god man, I could have killed him. He has 300+ acres right here he could have done his business in but, oh no. Just feels better in his own toilet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom