Help understanding Utah.

mevertsen

Very Active Member
I could use some help from my neighbors to the east. I spend a considerable amount of time in Utah (medical stuff). My wife and I got married in June and honeymooned at her grandfather's cabin in Beaver. We went fishing. When we were there, instead of buying the 1 or 2 day license, she got the year long license and I got the combo since it was only ten more dollars.

I have some questions, as I would like to start applying, and possibly hunt and/or chase bears and lions.

I know I can get pursuit permits (I have hounds and hunt lions and bobbers here in NV).

For starting new, what else would I be able to apply for. With all the different proclamations, it is all jiberish to me at this point.

So I would like to hunt (or apply for):
Bears
Lions
Deer (really confused here)
Elk (cow or bull, and I think I can apply for the cow if I am unsuccessful in the main draw)
Antelope
Sheep, goats, bison
What can and can't I apply for in combination (this makes no sense to me.

I also am buying points for antelope and plan to apply next year.

Also, the areas confuse me. My intention would be to be able to hunt the western part of the state, and the central part of the state. Say from Panguitch to Beaver, Milford, and to the Nevada State line at Garrison. I am just not sure which areas these all cover.

Thanks for the help.

You can apply for anything as long as your combination is valid at the time application period. If you draw you need to make sure its still valid if not just simply buy another one before the hunt.

As a non resident you can apply for pretty much anything and everything. As for the anterless draw... it is done after the regular big game draw. I only do elk for anterless and I know you can only hold two elk tags year and only one may be a bull tag. Hope this helps a little. Its alot of information to cover in your post. Sounds like your as confused about utah as I am about nevada. Feel free to pm me. I would be glad to help anyway I can.

"If you draw you need to make sure its still valid if not just simply buy another one before the hunt."

This actually isn't true. Your Combo does NOT need to be valid if you draw. It only needs be valid at the time of application. The computer system usually tells you if you need a current COMBO (Hunting License).

The easiest way to learn all the millions of areas is to download google earth. Then go to wildlife.utah.gov

Go to the HUNTING tab at the top of the page and select HUNT BOUNDRY MAPS. You can then look up any hunt by species/weapon/or alphabetical list of all units for any species.

Click on the HUNT MAP you are looking for and click on the "DOWN LOAD KLM FOR GOOGLE EARTH" tab and it will download the map directly into google earth.

That way you can find whatever hunt you are looking for by species or hunt/weapon type.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom