Help using sausage stuffer

buckmstr

My family gave me a commercial grade grinder for Fathers Day. It is the Cabelas brand model #8. I mixed up some meat and seasoned it to make pepperoni sticks. I am having problems getting my meat mixture into the casting that came with the kit. My question is how do you get the mixture to easily go into the castings. My mixture does seem dry, so do I need to add water to soften it up. I figured that they will still dry properly in the oven or smoker. If anyone has good advise I would appreciate it.

buckmstr

I know that there are a couple of guys on here that could probably give great advice about stuffing sausage. ;)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-06 AT 02:35PM (MST)[p] HERE LETS HAVE SOME FUN...I WANT TO BUY THAT SAME ONE!

GET YOUR MEAT OUT ...........THEN...............SLICK IT GOOD WETTER THE BETTER BUT NOT TOO WET....... AT........TELL BOBCATBESS AND BFE............SLOW DOWN OR YOU WILL TEAR IT SAID BOBCATBESS............AND.....THEN ............TIED UP THE ENDS ....AFTER....................................................................TO HOT.............BEER,BEER!
............DRUNK............BLEW CHUNKS............THEN I said chunks thats his dogs name!...............BOBCATBESS SCREAMING HOW HE CAN STILL TASTE IT..........AND......
RACKMASTER

Geez Rack tippin' afew already this morning?
--Stickey meat he say's-- just add a cup of water,that should help you out:RIMROCK

When I make sausage with my meat grinder, I always add liquid of some kind. For Italians, I use red wine. Bratwurst I use milk and an egg. I also like to through in pieces of fresh onion, which have a fair amount of water in them. Haven't tried making pepperoni sticks yet, but I assume it works the same way. Also, when the sausage is coming out, hold the casing on as much as possible until the sausage is really pushing it off. The denser you can make it the better. The first few times I tried, the sausage wasn't packed in there enough (I'm setting myself up for jokes on this one), and it cooked up funny and wasn't quite right. Another thing to try - make small breakfast sausages, but don't use a casing. Put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them individually. When they are frozen they can be jumbled together in a bag. They turn out really well, and if you just start cooking them when they are frozen they don't fall apart.
Have fun,
Pointer

I was laughing to myself when I made this post. I knew the good old boys could not let this post go with out some fun. Good laugh is healthy even for the old sausage stuffer.
I did try some extra water and that helped. I made the mistake of getting the mixture done and putting it in the fridge over nite. The next day it was dry and cold. I let it warm up at room temp and added water this helped. I also made some small patties, froze them for later use. Next time I will start in the morning withthe grinding, mixing and STUFFING THE SAUSAGE all in the same day.

buckmstr

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom