HELP Valles Caldera Hunt

huntmor2

Im New to this forum so forgive my mistakes. First year to buy lottery tickets and I drew a nonresident unguided mature bull tag for the first rifle hunt in the Caldera! I am in shock. The odds have to be tough for this tag. Has anyone ever hunted the VC? Any info would be appreciated. Should I hire an outfitter? Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-11 AT 05:38AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-11 AT 05:35?AM (MST)

>I would call and make resrv
>right now if I where
>you...
>
>http://www.lacuevalodge.com/
>
>Nice tag and sweet draw!
>
>Robb

I 2nd that! LaCueva is a Great place to stay. CONGRATS on your draw. You are gonna love it. Me & My Wife pulled the buddy cow elk hunt last season. We had a GREAT time.

Sent you a PM.

If you have done a lot of elk hunting then I do not think you would need an outfitter. If you are worried about judging an animal or are new to elk hunting then an outfitter may be a good option.

Congrats on a great tag and you are going to hunt one of the most beautiful elk spots there is!! If you are an elk hunter you don't need an outfitter. Lots of bulls and lots of help from the guys who work the preserve, they will put you in a spot that has elk. Every sub unit on the ranch has elk, a few better than others but thats a draw so you don't get to choose. I filmed a rifle hunt there a few years back and it was a little tougher than I thought it would be. Its a pretty easy hunt as far as terrain, but be prepared to chase bugles at first light and if you don't live at a high elevation be prepared for that. If you want to see what the hunt will be like get Extreme Bulls 4 and there are a couple of Caldera archery hunts on the video. Heck I will come video your hunt for less than an outfitter will charge and we'll kill an elk! COngrats. nwhunter

I've hunted elk 3 times but always with an outfitter and I was disappointed with my guide each time. I just seems like they want to take the easy way out and pressure you to shoot animals I would normally pass. Im not really concerned with my hunting/calling ability or getting a bull on the ground if the opportunity presents itself its my ability to pack it out when i do that worries me. Looks like my wife will accompany me on the hunt and I don't want to subject her to a tough pack job on her first elk hunt. Is there anyone in the VC area that i could hire to pack a bull out if I needed?

I think that would be a good approach to this hunt.

I would contract with an outfitter to help pack it out. They have in the past loaned out game carts that make it pretty easy to get elk quarters out. You may just see how far back your elk is before you decide if you need someone to pack it out. Talk to Dennis Trujillo if he is there (been a couple years for us) and he will tell you who is available to pack.

From what you described, I think you will enjoy this hunt more doing it on your own. You will get the opportunity to take a bull. With the experience you described it will be much more fulfilling on your own.

Thanks for all the advice and congrats. I decided to go without an outfitter, I've made my reservations at La Cueva in Jamez. Now the waiting begins! I guess thats all the quesions i have for now. Thanks again.

Congrats your gona have a great hunt. All the advice above is right on. You might think about nwhunters offer to film your hunt.Good luck.

Im not a outfitter but for the cost of gas and lunch i'll be happy to help you with packing out a bull. I Live about a hour from VCNP.. And ihave worked on the VCNP..

The hunt staff and volunteers will absolutely get you help to pack out the animal. Last year I did not really need help, and they did anyway, to make room for another hunter in a hot unit.

My 9 year old found out last year that he could hunt big game in New Mexico (he has to be 12 in most states) and "made me" apply for the junior cow hunt. He drew and we had a great time. The staff at VCNP were great. They want you to have a quality experience and a successful hunt and will "point you in the right direction" both before and during the hunt. They will even move you from one unit to the other if one unit is producing and your unit is not and will share information with you from the other hunters. After my son shot his cow the first evening and we were done, they asked me where we had seen animals and put another youth hunter in our unit with that information. They also sent someone out with us with a game cart to help retrieve the animal (which was no small feat since the animal was in the middle of a marsh). It may be different with a bull hunt, but the staff will be very helpful. My suggestion might be to order the VCNP hunting unit map in advance because even though you do not know what unit you will draw, you can use it with Google Earth to start becoming familiar with the area.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-11 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]Great help and thread guys! I love seeing things like this come together and that's why this site is the best!!! Now if I could a little more help for my buddy for deer in unit 2b (11/5-11/9) it would be even better!!!

i drew a cow tag there last year and man it was awesome the first day we saw 2 bulls opening morning but no cows and then the second day iswitched units and we were in elk right awat killed my cow at 9 in the morning but everyone we had talked to had seen bulls i put in for there again this year didnt get it but i drew a dam good tag i just having my son with me on my hunts if i get one its icing on the cake but hes 7 and he loves the mountains thank god i drew 3 tags this year you dont need a guide if you get one the staff will help you those guys are cool especially steve he wants everyone to harvest good luck

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom