help with choosing binos

slcmuley

ok guys looking for a little help. i have narrowed it down to 4 models. i am wondering if any of you have compared/owned them. looking to hear the good and the bad on these models. Nikon-monarch 10x42 NIkon-trailblazer 10x50 Vortex-crossfirre 10x42 Vortexdiamondbak 10x42

With a name like SLCmuley I figured you'd already own some swaros. :D Have looked through the Monarchs. For the money I don't think they can be beat. Roughly $300 +/-. Pretty good deal. Haven't looked through the others.

You can't beat the new Bushnell Legend ultra HD for $300

The new Nikon Monarch X but it more expensive.

For $400 I would look at the Zen Ray ED2

I would not spend $250 on the old monarch when there are better binos for $50 more. (cabelas has them on closeout).

Take a serious look at the Vortex. None of the ones named thus far can even come close on warranty or quality. I don't know about the Bushnell Legend HD but I do know that their warranty isn't worth crap.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Cabela's has 8x42 Leupold Pinnacles in their online Bargain Cave for $279.99. I'd buy them long before the Nikon Monarch.

i realize im not looking at top end binos,but do any of you own these models from vortex- crossfire/diamondbak? they are not their top end binos. who carries them so i can go look through a pair before i buy them. and it would be nice if they had some of the other brands mentioned so i could do a side by side comparison. sportsmans wharehouse doesnt carry vortex. i have found the monarchs online for 160.00.
Thanx for all the help

The Sportsmans down here in Provo carries Vortex. I would assume that the SLC store does as well. If not, cowslayer is an authorized dealer and he lives in South Salt Lake somewhere. Seriously though, look long and hard at warranty. I wouldn't buy a product anymore if it didn't come with a damn good warranty or come from Cabelas!

www.awholelottabull.com

I have both a new Diamondback and a Monarch. Get the Diamondback. Better color, contrast, deeper depth of focus and a MUCH wider fov. Ignore any non phase corrected roof prism binocular. Consider the new Atlas Radian @ $130. This is a new house brand from Eagle Optics. I'd take it over the Monarch too.

Kents Shooting Sports in Ogden carries Vortex and is really good on price.

My wife has Monarch's; they are nice glass.

Grizzly

+1 on vortex diamondbacks. I have done a side by side comparison with the monarchs and the diamondbacks take the cake. The biggest advantage the diamondbacks have over the monarchs is the unconditional warrantee. I was a nikon man until I purchased my first set of vortex glass. I put their warrantee to the test and they have exceeded all expectations. Buy vortex and you will never have to buy another set of binos.

+1 on the Monarchs.

I just spent three days comparing the Swaro EL, Vortex Razor, Zen Ray ED1 and the Nikon Monarch side by side. Given the list you have narrowwed it down to and for the money, I would go with the Monarchs. It is a solid all around binocular.

If you are particularly hard on your equipment then I would maybe consider the Vortex a little more heavily.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-09 AT 10:54PM (MST)[p]I hope you don't take this the wrong way HardCore, but what hunter doesn't put their equipment through the ringer? Like I said, maybe I'm the exception but I buy hunting equipment to use and sometimes take some abuse. Warranty means everything IMO.

slcmuley - you may want to look at the Vortex Fury's. They are offering a $50 rebate on them which puts them just under $300. Now those will blow the Monarchs out of the water and you get the same warranty. The Viper 10x42's are another step up from the Fury's and IMO can't be beat for the price. They are right around $500 with the unconditional warranty. Just in case you don't know what the VIP Vortex warranty is here is a quick run down. Like I said, it's unconditional which means if you break it, run over it with your truck, 4 wheeler, or they fall off a moving vehicle at a high rate of speed, you're covered. As long as you can send it back to them and they can identify that it is a Vortex product they will fix it or send you a new pair. It's also transferable so your son or daughter can have the binos and have the same coverage. Nikon has a NO FAULT lifetime warranty. The NO FAULT is the kicker. Lot's of room for them to tell you to take a hike if they feel you "abused" them. Oh, and the turn around time at Vortex is impressive. From what I've seen, once they have them in their hands it takes a day or 2 to fix and then the return time to ship it. One of the fastest in the industry. If you have any questions there are several guys on this site that can answer them like cowslayer & Prism. Very knowlegable guys about the Vortex line of optics.

www.awholelottabull.com

I certainly use what I have but I take pretty good care of it also. When I am done I clean it all up and service it regularly. My stuff shows some scars but it is clean as a whistle. I am a little anal retentive obsessive compulsive that way but it keeps me occupied and out of trouble.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

We are a lot alike in that respect. In fact, my wife has made this statement before, "I wish you spent as much time with me as you do in that hunting closet". I do put my gear through the ringer though but I have several pieces of equipment that have stood the test of time.

www.awholelottabull.com

This came from the Nikon site.....as you can see the No Fault Warranty from Nikon is better than the way it was described in this thread....

Nikon Scope Guarantee

If any Nikon Scope is found to have defects in workmanship or materials, Nikon will, at their option, repair or replace it at no charge, even if you are not the original owner. No time limit applies and no warranty card is required.

Nikon Binocular, Spotting Scope or Fieldscope
NO FAULT POLICY

If your Nikon binocular, spotting scope or Fieldscope requires service or repair not covered by our 25 Year Limited warranty, Nikon, Inc. will repair or replace it (even if it was your fault) for just $10, plus return shipping and handling.

That being said, I've looked through a few pairs of these lately on scouting trips, and I remain very unimpressed with this glass. The Vortex Diamondback is much better, as is the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD. I wouldn't worry at all about the Nikon No Fault Warranty.

"If your Nikon binocular, spotting scope or Fieldscope requires service or repair not covered by our 25 Year Limited warranty, Nikon, Inc. will repair or replace it (even if it was your fault) for just $10, plus return shipping and handling"

I will say it once and probably get some strong disagreement
from others but....... As far as I am concerned, Nikon is flat out lying. My dad had an old pair of Nikons that came apart
last year.

Granted, they were about 15 years old, but they did come apart
and he had nothing but PROBLEMS with them. He finally just threw them away.

Unfortunately, I made the recommendation to him to buy another
pair of Monarchs (in May of 2009). In all honesty, I am not impressed with them. I have an older pair of Monarchs that are OK but nothing more.

I have looked through the Vortex, and that is what I would choose. With an unconditional warranty, it would be an easy decision.

I just went through the same dilemna as far as choosing binoculars. In my case I was looking for some in the 10x42 range at a price around $700 +/-.

I was able to test several pairs of glass at a local sporting goods store ( looking at Resolution Target) and this is what I found:

1. Swarovski, Leica & Zeis at the top of list of course.... These were out of my price range so I just looked at them as a bench mark in which to compare others... Swarovski is just unreal when you look through them, I won't even try to argue that anything is better ( I hated to even look through them as I cannot aford them).... Anyway....

2. I compared the following at the $500 - $800 +/- range... and here are the results in order from best to worst as far as optics clearity and brightness...

#1 Zen-Ray ED2 & Minox HG : Toss up, both were bright and very clear (ZR a little soft at edges due to large FOV. Both Very nice binocs that will keep 95% of hunters happy. NOT Swarovski's by any means but very nice.

#2 Vortex Razors: Clear but just a hair lower in brightness (ergo feel was better than ZR & Monox)
#3 Pentax DC WP II : Just below Razors in clearness & brightness.
#4 Vortex Viper = Very dissapointing.... Dim with average clearity. After hearing so much about them I thought they would be much better. Not joking but they were not much better than $200 binocs.....

The store did not have Nikon so I couldn't compare those.

This is just my opinion based on my eyes (37yrs old)...

$700.00 will buy great used glass if you're patient, and IMHO, used Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss, trumps new mid-range glass.

ok guys i just got back from sportsmans wharehouse this is what happened- the monarchs were at the lower end of what i looked through. the monarch x was on the upper end but cost 200.00 more i couldnt tell the difference between the vortex diamondbak and the fury. so what is the difference? and the last one i wanted to look at was the bushnell legend ultra HD but they didnt have them yet. the warranty on bushnell sucks. so i dont feel like i need to even look at them anymore. so my conclusion is with my price range i need to pick between the vortex- dbak and the fury. can any of you tell me what the difference is between the 2? Thanx for all the help

I have and use Leica geovid 10 x 42 and love them . Before them I have and still use my nikon monarchs 10 x 42 for back ups. I bought the nikons and used them for years until I could buy the leica's. ( without the wife finding out ) She still isn't aware of the cost of them . Thanks goodness if she new i would never hear the end of it . Lol

hardcore- im trying to stay around 300.00. this is insane now i feel like i need to look at the minox line of optics now that doug has listed his deals on here. if im not impressed with the minox-BD-10x42-BR im sold on the vortex fury. any of you guys looked at the minox's?

If you need to stick at the $300 range, either of those will be good to go. I have and like Vortex Fury's and have liked the Minox I've looked at. When you get one, I strongly recommend you use it for what you like about it and ignore any faults it might have, unless that fault is pretty obvious for you. People have a tendency to get into nit picking with optics and once you start picking one apart, you'll find something.

SLC,
The difference between the Fury's and the Viper's is that the Viper's have XD glass. If you can't tell the difference, I'd go with the Fury's. I sent you a PM...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

So are most of the lower priced MINOX... Nice big sticker saying "Made in China" on the underside. NJS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom